What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys trial

Old_Timer

Juniors
Some people really don't get trials at all.....

True they don't!!

Yes Johnny from my readings of the game when we had most of our core 1st grade team on, we were none to flash. Dropped balls, humidity of course being a factor, and silly mistakes.

Foolishly I was expecting to read some posts like, our starting team looked very crisp in attack, showed creativity with the ball and our defence back to being rock solid. Instead I read that our shinning youngsters showed potential in the 3rd and 4th quarters, when they were playing against who?

Guys, yes trials are just that and nothing more. So did anyone see anything to take heart from in the first opening 20 minutes?

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
True they don't!!

Yes Johnny from my readings of the game when we had most of our core 1st grade team on, we were none to flash. Dropped balls, humidity of course being a factor, and silly mistakes.

Foolishly I was expecting to read some posts like, our starting team looked very crisp in attack, showed creativity with the ball and our defence back to being rock solid. Instead I read that our shinning youngsters showed potential in the 3rd and 4th quarters, when they were playing against who?

Guys, yes trials are just that and nothing more. So did anyone see anything to take heart from in the first opening 20 minutes?

No team looks 'crisp' in attack in trials. And if they do, they are showing their cards too early. Trials are all about trying formations and structures, even if it's predominantly seniors on the field. Juniors always look to make their mark, senior players take it for what it is, a warm up. They work on specific aspects of their game, without consequence, without necessarily needing to put everything on the table in the one game.

We had a forward pack that was dominated for the mostpart due to some missing grunt, and still scored 24 points. Not a bad effort, not an outstanding one either. We have more variety this year which is all you can ask for at this point.

Godz Illa

Coach
Seems like Old Timer is interpreting only what he wants from the various posts. Perhaps you should have watched the game before commenting. The Cowboys were coming off a trial and obviously looked sharper early - it was Saints first hitout of the year, minus the two starting props, in tropical heat. Far North Qld is a tough place to play at the best of times

Country Dragon

Juniors
Seems like Old Timer is interpreting only what he wants from the various posts. Perhaps you should have watched the game before commenting. The Cowboys were coming off a trial and obviously looked sharper early - it was Saints first hitout of the year, minus the two starting props, in tropical heat. Far North Qld is a tough place to play at the best of times

That was one of my biggest concerns for the boys, playing in that climate in February. But by all accounts they mustn't have gone that bad to be only pipped at the post. We might surprise a few this year!

And there is the hype I refer too! ;-)

I like King - great potential - but it's about time the hype stopped and the results came through - hopefully this is his year.

Couldnt agree more, I am happy for King to get another run this year, he had a few last year but nothing special in what I saw. Rein was the best player by far for us last year, I think he is underrated, he is a gun...

Efresh

Coach
I am excited to see what King can do with an extended injury free run. If King didn't tear his pec in the WCC, Rein wouldn't have gotten a decent look in and would probably be at another club now. I would be surprised if he got the starting job before mid season because it is still Rein's to lose, but gee I love seeing a good old battle for a jersey. Not enough of it lately.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Seems like Old Timer is interpreting only what he wants from the various posts....

Astute observation as always Godz Illa. Thus I am going to be very pleasantly surprised come round one. It that a guarantee Godz Illa et al? :D

Even our much maligned Coach admitted it:

“In the opening 20 minutes of the game we turned over too much ball and couldn’t control their roll-on......."

Last edited:

Old_Timer

Juniors
No team looks 'crisp' in attack in trials.....

Given what we dished up last year in attack, some of us have very short memories, I was hoping to read just a smidgin of it looks promising, albeit if only for a few fleeting glimpses when the cows and us had their core first grade squad on the park.

I know it is being utterly unrealistic, but I thought that was our highest priority during the off season?

Last edited:

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
I don't like the "it's only a trial".... What are you saying that these senior guys do have have to make an effort because its a trial???

I am saying that considering what happened last year, some of the senior guys needed to step up last night but continued with the same lazy attitude in the regular season last year... It was the same players who failed to step up then, that failed last night.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I don't like the "it's only a trial".... What are you saying that these senior guys do have have to make an effort because its a trial???

I am saying that considering what happened last year, some of the senior guys needed to step up last night but continued with the same lazy attitude in the regular season last year... It was the same players who failed to step up then, that failed last night.

It's a long season, no need to give it your all for a game that means nothing and you know you're already in the first grade squad. If they don't perform when the season starts then by all means have your whinge

Twenty10

Juniors
This was my point in my post.... Ok it was only a trial, but these guys are professional and competitive ... Not enough effort and too many mistakes just like last year...

Prior and fien should both consider themselves lucky to make 1st grade this year!

Gees Johnny... You seem to have finally allowed reality to sink in. The back pedaling and change of tune is hilarious.

gypsy

Bench
The first trial has only ever been treated as a chance to try new players.
The only trial worth looking at is the charity shield (souffs gf). It will be much closer to what we'll see in Round 1.

Last edited:

redbreed

Juniors
The first trial has only ever been treated as a chance to try new players.
The only trial worth looking at is the charity shield (souffs gf). It will be much closer to what we'll see in Round 1.

Exactly gypsy, trials are exactly that trials!!! I don't think they went up there with a win at all cost attitude, it would of being trying different combinations and working on different plays they worked on in pre season the intensity in defense will come when there's points at stake.

Good to see the young fellas playing well should give price a selection head ache. Watched that quinlan play last year, man he moves well and just seems to break the line with ease. We've got some talent coming thru some good year's ahead if we can keep them

Minh

First Grade
true what others have said, I think the charity shield will be close to proper NRL intensity I would expect from us this year. I'm sure Pricey would be pushing them hard for this game to get momentum.

b4l

Juniors
Boyd has played nearly 100 more first grade games (99 to be exact) than Beale and the majority of that 100 have been at Fullback. It is too early to compare Beale and Boyd.

Not too early.
I have seen Beale play since the Clairvaux Mackillop days. It has always been a weakness in his game.

Latest posts