What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys trial

jenninga

First Grade
You only have to look at Manchester United,they turn their roster over quite heavily every year to maintain the hunger regardless of a players profile, maybe the dragons should follow this model.
Man U do offload players at the right time,however when they puchase they purchase big.eg Rooney,Van Persie,Berbatov etc who cost a bundle.Marquee players if you will,cannot be done in the NRL.

giboz71

First Grade
Our biggest problem last year was that we lacked game breakers, and we have the same problem this year.

Teams defend too well, are too well coached, and too fit so they can handle run of the mill first graders. It’s not enough to just run, pass and tackle hard any more. Sure we need to get the basics right of course, but the major difference between an average team and a premiership team are individuals who can carry a team with their skill and flair.

I’m talking the Thurstons, the Barbas the Slaters, the Marshalls etc etc. Doust recognises this too, hence he chased hard for Cronk.

We struggled so badly to score points last year, coz we have none of these types of players. Matt Prior is an example of player who runs and tackles and not much else. He is actually a decent footballer, but when we were screaming for someone to pull something out in attack, you can’t expect Prior to do this coz its not really his job. If he were playing in a team with a Barba or a Slater, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the hate he gets with the Dragons.

I just think we need to roll the dice this year and see what happens. Put Drinkwater in Round 1, try Vidot in the centres, let Harrison and Frizell run amok on the edges. We’re not going to go anywhere putting the same rubbish in attack we did last year.

Cagey Mac

Bench
It’s not the coach’s fault but it’s the coach’s problem.
Some of what has been said in the past few posts really does highlight an interesting dichotomy facing Price’s player options for 2013.

One of the few highlights of a poor 2012 season was our pretty solid defence. Our young players have the attitude born in the NYC that will see them try anything and spice up our attack but will they lack the ability to read opposition defensive plays or indeed the strength and technique to tackle the big boys.

If Price can bring it all together he’ll have done wonders for his career. It’s absolutely pivotal for him and could see him break through or spend a long time in the wilderness. His current position must surely engender a risk taking attitude so I reckon we’re going to in for some exciting football.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Our biggest problem last year was that we lacked game breakers, and we have the same problem this year.

Teams defend too well, are too well coached, and too fit so they can handle run of the mill first graders. It?s not enough to just run, pass and tackle hard any more. Sure we need to get the basics right of course, but the major difference between an average team and a premiership team are individuals who can carry a team with their skill and flair.

I?m talking the Thurstons, the Barbas the Slaters, the Marshalls etc etc. Doust recognises this too, hence he chased hard for Cronk.

We struggled so badly to score points last year, coz we have none of these types of players. Matt Prior is an example of player who runs and tackles and not much else. He is actually a decent footballer, but when we were screaming for someone to pull something out in attack, you can?t expect Prior to do this coz its not really his job. If he were playing in a team with a Barba or a Slater, he wouldn?t get anywhere near the hate he gets with the Dragons.

I just think we need to roll the dice this year and see what happens. Put Drinkwater in Round 1, try Vidot in the centres, let Harrison and Frizell run amok on the edges. We?re not going to go anywhere putting the same rubbish in attack we did last year.

You mentioned Slater, Barbar and Marshall and compared them to Prior? Shouldn't you be comparing those guys to our fullback or halves?

giboz71

First Grade
It?s not the coach?s fault but it?s the coach?s problem.
Some of what has been said in the past few posts really does highlight an interesting dichotomy facing Price?s player options for 2013.

One of the few highlights of a poor 2012 season was our pretty solid defence. Our young players have the attitude born in the NYC that will see them try anything and spice up our attack but will they lack the ability to read opposition defensive plays or indeed the strength and technique to tackle the big boys.

If Price can bring it all together he?ll have done wonders for his career. It?s absolutely pivotal for him and could see him break through or spend a long time in the wilderness. His current position must surely engender a risk taking attitude so I reckon we?re going to in for some exciting football.

Excellent point.

No point making adjustments in attack if we suffer defensively. I agree, our defence was a highlight last year and I'm amazed we got so close to the 8 given how bad we were at scoring points. This needs to be maintained.

This will be one of the main challenges for Price this upcoming year, and may very well define him as a coach. If the Stockwells, Quinlans, Cummins, Drinkwaters and Kings bring a defensive steel, along with some much needed attacking flair, it may well produce good results.

giboz71

First Grade
You mentioned Slater, Barbar and Marshall and compared them to Prior? Shouldn't you be comparing those guys to our fullback or halves?

The point I was trying to make is that we struggled to score points as we had no gamebreakers to break a game open when we were down.

Matt Prior is the complete anti-thesis to a game breaker. He runs hard, he tackles hard and does all the dirty work and does it pretty well. But that's pretty much it.

In a team that struggles to score, I think he is unfairly targeted as his limitations is representative of the problems of the whole team.

Fullback and halves is exactly where our gamebreakers should be...and these were glaring weaknesses last year.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Not only are people comparing prior to slater, we have some comparing price to Bennett and hasler....

I believe that last year we did not have the depth for price to make the sort of changes some wanted, this year he has more options and as I have said should not be judged on last year BUT has to perform this year and make the right calls...

My point on price is that he needs to be given this year to prove anything, so I am not writing him unless he doesn't perform this year... If he fails, both him and doust need to go....

furball

Juniors
The point I was trying to make is that we struggled to score points as we had no gamebreakers to break a game open when we were down.

Matt Prior is the complete anti-thesis to a game breaker. He runs hard, he tackles hard and does all the dirty work and does it pretty well. But that's pretty much it.

In a team that struggles to score, I think he is unfairly targeted as his limitations is representative of the problems of the whole team.

Fullback and halves is exactly where our gamebreakers should be...and these were glaring weaknesses last year.

Matt Prior "runs hard and Tackles hard"????? Please provide evidence of either.

A Matt Prior hit up consists of a) no run up b) catch the pass and jog to the defence line and c) get smashed while every saints supporter cringes hoping that he doesn't trow a stupid pass or drop the ball cold. He racks up some tackles, but how many would you describe as big hits. 1 in 100?

Matt Prior has the phyical attributes to be a rep player but has no ambition to be anything but a 1st grader. If he is re-signed when his contract expires then Doust realy has lost the plot!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints had a better roster than quite a few teams don't you worry. It's what they did on the field.

Hopefully Price worked on the OFFENCE this offseason. They have Cummins, Quinlan, Beale who may add some spark on top of the current game breakers they have in Moz, Nighty and Soward. Rein will be even better after 1 season in NRL and Cam King may have a hand in a few tries if used properly.

They are tipped to come last and last time that happened a guy named David Waite assembled a team 6 weeks prior to the season kickoff and got them to the GF only to get robbed by a dodgy ref. Saints usually play well when they are the underdog and nervous when they are favourites.

giboz71

First Grade
Not only are people comparing prior to slater,

Mate...I wasn't comparing Prior to Slater (that's just plain ridiculous).

All I'm saying is that the lack of a Billy Slater type player in our side has the effect of fans turning on guys like Prior because we are so woeful in attack.

All teams need workers, Prior is one of those players. But he ain't gonna pull a game out of the fire. If we had those Slater types of players winning games for us, my guess is a guy like Matt Prior would be looked at more favourably.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Worker, mate, most are of the opinion, and yes we watch a lot if footy that he does not put it in... As stated here by others, his hit hut is off a standing start jog to the line and get smashed and panic and lose the ball.. And his defence is as soft.. He tried a big hit once got it wrong and because it was the best five eight he got what 8 weeks.... He drops too many balls, he misses tackles, and he gives away penalties...

Fantastic approach, with one minor detail... Salary cap.

Retention is a huge cost saving exercise, you always need to pay more than the club where a player resides to lure over an in demand player. If you had high roster turnover, you'd end up with a pretty poorly balanced squad.

They aren't even remotely comparable in terms of squad management. One has a virtually endless budget, the other has a tight budget that is the same as every other team in the comp.
Yeah but that puts us level with everyone else and back in the game,it really comes down to smart recruiting that's what separates you from the rest we need to be smarter.players don't come not because they don't like price but are just not sure he's going to be around long term and its that uncertainty that's hurts us in the player market.i was only suggesting Man U's model I realise they on a different level financially,but we have to get back to making the dragons the brand that one everyone wants to play for again.Restore the prestige!

Godz Illa

Coach
Manchester United stole the "Red Devils" nickname from the local rugby league team, Salford. And this is the only relevance Manchester United have to any rugby league discussion, ever.

Elias1983

Coach
yeh i'm watching a bit of the trial now..

Some encouraging signs, especially when merrin hits some of those gaps offf flat balls.

yeh i'm watching a bit of the trial now..

Some encouraging signs, especially when merrin hits some of those gaps offf flat balls.

Yeah and jdb hit tackles like he had revenge in mind good signs,if Beale vidot and Harrison can all click I don't see hy we can't make the eight and shock a few along the way hopefully starting with a jet lagged storm round one that one would be sweet.

Saints had a better roster than quite a few teams don't you worry. It's what they did on the field.

Hopefully Price worked on the OFFENCE this offseason. They have Cummins, Quinlan, Beale who may add some spark on top of the current game breakers they have in Moz, Nighty and Soward. Rein will be even better after 1 season in NRL and Cam King may have a hand in a few tries if used properly.

They are tipped to come last and last time that happened a guy named David Waite assembled a team 6 weeks prior to the season kickoff and got them to the GF only to get robbed by a dodgy ref. Saints usually play well when they are the underdog and nervous when they are favourites.

Slippery, I'd love to look back at 96 for inspiration. But I can't help but think that we turned that season round when we got all our Super League players back for round three after the first court verdict went against Murdoch. Before that, we were looking down the barrel of a season with Lawrence Raleigh in the centres and Ben Kusto at half (The Leader called him Ben Custard, not even as a joke).

Then the verdict was reversed in 1997, we lost the Super League players again (except for Brownie) and had one of our worst seasons in living memory.

On the subject of 96 though. How about the roller coaster? Remember how we got smashed 0-40 by Norths at NSO and ended up ditching them in the semi?

Latest posts