What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cox Plate

Here is my 2 cents on the main chances

Miss Finland - Favourite. Beaten in its last 2 starts but ran on hard in both races. Drawn barrier 1 which is a concern

Haradasun - Been consistantly good all season without winning. Chance

El Sugundo - Lloyd Williams says if he could have any horse in the race it would be him. Definite chance

Devil Moon - Ran away last start but had a very light weight.

Efficient - Hasnt won since it was a 3 year old.

Zipping - Expecting it to run a place and wouldnt surprise me if it won.

Marasco - Ran a bad race last start but can improve

Wonderful World - A favourite of mine but should be outclassed and distance may be a concern.

Niconero - Wins races at big odds

Divine Madona - I think 1600m is its best distance

My tips
1. Miss Finland
2. Niconero
3. Haradasun

hineyrulz

Post Whore
A very tough race, not sure Miss Finland is going good enough. I will disregard the Turnbull, funny days racing and the form hasn't really gone on.

My top 3 picks

1. El Segundo - Totally different horse at the Valley and apparently he flew in trackwork. The one to beat IMO.

2. Haradasun - Hasn't really ran a bad race this prep and again will be hard to beat. Not sure if he gets the 2000m.

1. Efficient - Not sure why i'm throwing him in, maybe just because he probably should have run in the Caulfield Cup. Plus last year in the Vase he ran 2 secs quicker than the Cox Plate. So we know he gets around here.

Miss finland or Devil Moon wouldn't suprise.

Macca_

Coach
Haradasun. Won't be beat.

Back the double into Purple Moon for the Melbourne Cup. Also won't be beat.

Just que up and collect.

:D

lockyno1

Post Whore
Guys I am not big in the punting world, but any roughies apart from the obvious Miss Finland/Efficient/Zipping?

Macca_

Coach
gorilla with a shotgun said:
What makes you so sure?
I just think from the gate, he gets a gun run. Can't fault his form and I have no question marks over him. I'm on.

na don't like haradasun, its disappointed a few times this campaign

miss finland is the clear favourite. for anyone to think otherwise is a bit silly

i do give a rough chance to divine madonna, its going better then haradasun and el seg. Interesting to see everyone talking up El Seg. Why??? Its not that great a horse, news flash!

Macca_

Coach
Eye_Shot_The_Sheriff said:
He has? Last start was a solid 3rd in prep for the main target this Saturday. Came from barrier 15, won't have to do that this weekend. He'll just posy up and have a cushy run. Start before that he was beaten a lip at the Valley. Start before that he came from gate 13 for 2nd. Apart from winning, I wouldn't say he's disappointed.

Nuffs

Bench
very interesting race.

slightly leaning towards Miss Finland. she hasn't really "failed" this prep although many backers have burnt holes in their wallets. she's still finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd this prep. in group 2, G1, G1. from the inside she'll probably be positioned midfield, and she'll come out 3 and 4 wide when the field fans out with 600m to go.

Devil moon is also a great chance. will probably lead although wonderful world might come and cross. she's in sensational form. will run the distance out. won 2 starts back at WFA at the valley. at $6 is great value in my mind - and i'll be looking for a bit better than that on course on Sat.

Haradahype - a good solid horse that never does anything wrong. also doesn't seem to be able to win this prep. last start was drawn poorly and ran well to finish where he did. will be very fit for this now, and he's in with a chance

Zipping was ridden upsisde down last start. plan to get him fitter? 3 week break after that and he'll settle midfield and be running on hard

El Segundo. i didn't like the way he seemed to go backwards last start at the end of the race. yes he'll be fitter, but i just can't see him winning.

Marasco had a shocker last start. he's better than that - but is he good enough? i think not

Divine Madonna - needs the pace on - unlikely. likes to fly home but at the valley you have to be real good to come from near last to get up. unlikely

my box tri - miss finland, devil moon, haradasun and zipping

hessy

Juniors
I don't rate the chances of Effecient, Marasco or Zipping personally. To me the win is between Miss Finland, Haradasun, Devil Moon and El Segundo with an outside chance to Divine Madonna if she gets the pace on.
Zipping will have to push up from the barrier or sit wide and do a mountain of work, he is also completely unproven at this kindo of WFA company and I find it very hard to see him winning.
Effecient apart from one good run this prep really hasn't done much for me and I think he's well under the odds.
Marasco at his best is probably still a level below the big three in this race, and theres big queries of whether he's racing at his best.
None of them are completely hopeless but I'd be surprised if the finished in the top two.

Now to the main chances, Devil Moon will probably head to the lead or just off it with Wonderful World and Zipping early. Who knows what Magic Cape will do from the barrier, haven't seen how he races but if he heads forward the pace could be on. Haradasun will get the best run just off these with El Segundo trailing him. Miss Finland will drop back midfield and get struck in traffic, if she can get clear in the 600m she is a chance but she'll need some luck wheras Haradasun and El Segundo will get gun runs Devil Moon gets it pretty wasy as well. So I think these will be the ones fighting out the win and places with DM flying late a chance as well but would need to be a pretty special run to win.
So my money is on Haradasun and El Segundo going 1,2 with Wonderful World, Devil Moon, Miss Finland, Divine Madonna or Zipping filling out third place.

Freak2

Juniors
Macca,

The only concern I have about Haradasun is Big El gave him a start sat outside of him and beat him last start at the Valley. Yes it was only a lip but El-Segundo ran at least another 20 metres than it???

I think they fight it out again with the horse with the better momentum on the turn winning, unless they go spastic slow up front (Which they won't) then maybe Divine Madonna can suprize.

Cannot really see an upset this year though. The winner will come from the top 3 in the betting, I don't think there is much between them. Just becuase he is proven at open class El Segundo for mine to beat the 4 year olds.

Foz

Bench
I'm really confident Miss Finland will win.
Never been a fan of hers but this is her race.
Is running more like a stayer these days and I dont think its out of the question that she could win the Melbourne Cup.
Had that run over 2000m aginst Maldivian the other week which just tightned her up for this.

Skinner

Coach
Eye_Shot_The_Sheriff said:

miss finland is the clear favourite. for anyone to think otherwise is a bit silly

i do give a rough chance to divine madonna, its going better then haradasun and el seg. Interesting to see everyone talking up El Seg. Why??? Its not that great a horse, news flash!

Yeah mate.......to my cost, I have listened to you before. No more :lol:

Macca_

Coach
Freak2 said:
Macca,

The only concern I have about Haradasun is Big El gave him a start sat outside of him and beat him last start at the Valley. Yes it was only a lip but El-Segundo ran at least another 20 metres than it???

I think they fight it out again with the horse with the better momentum on the turn winning, unless they go spastic slow up front (Which they won't) then maybe Divine Madonna can suprize.

Cannot really see an upset this year though. The winner will come from the top 3 in the betting, I don't think there is much between them. Just becuase he is proven at open class El Segundo for mine to beat the 4 year olds.
Yeah fair call mate.

I'm looking at a couple of things to counter that meeting though... Hopefully all together its enough to turn the tables so to speak :D

* El Seg was 3rd up that day, Haradasun was 2nd up, albeit after a freshen up (I rarely back em' second up).I'm banking on El Seg being a bit further forward in prep then Haradasun in that race
* Haradasun meets El Seg 1kg better
* El Seg was going round the Valley for the 6th time. It was Haradasun's first run round the track, which can be a tough one and some horses simply don't handle it

Works for me anyway :lol:

Freak2

Juniors
Macca_ said:
Yeah fair call mate.

I'm looking at a couple of things to counter that meeting though... Hopefully all together its enough to turn the tables so to speak :D

* El Seg was 3rd up that day, Haradasun was 2nd up, albeit after a freshen up (I rarely back em' second up).I'm banking on El Seg being a bit further forward in prep then Haradasun in that race
* Haradasun meets El Seg 1kg better
* El Seg was going round the Valley for the 6th time. It was Haradasun's first run round the track, which can be a tough one and some horses simply don't handle it

Works for me anyway :lol:

All good points too!!

There is obviously not much between them and it will only take one slight mishap either way to split them IMO!
I've got El-Segundo in a heap of doubles so I might end up backing Haradasun! - If I can get him at the right price! Is 7's too much to ask for!!:p :lol:

dont get me wrong, haradasun is a good horse. but im sorry, i dont back horses that haven't won in the campaign

winning form is what you want. thats why i think divine madonna is a good chance, they will go hard up front, cox plates are always run hard. geez surely the pundits know that! that is why miss finland and madonna will quinella

juggalo_strit

Juniors
Get on Divine Madonna!
$14, great value! These muppets advising it won't get the distance are lunatics!
The runs will start at the 800m as usual and it will track one of the favourites into the race and come around em at the turn and in a dazzling display win by 2 lengths!

Moffo

Referee
i like your thinking mate!

anyone who is on el seg is on drugs, real hard ones!

Latest posts