What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Young and personal reference for Finch

Mojo

Bench
If Doust is sacked from the Board it will mean two vacant positions that are still available to fill. Now if the Board filled one of those vacancies with a Red V member (voted for by all Red V members), then things could be heading in the right direction.

All that would be needed to get the ball rolling would be to:
1. Appoint a top-quality board member to replace Doust.
2. Sack Griffin
3. Sign Hasler/Brown to fill vacant coaching/recruitment positions.
Would love to see Des' reaction when Brownie gives him a love tap.

Young wouldn't be getting PR. As much of a legend on the field he was, off the field he's been nothing but a disaster.
He can't coach.
He's a terrible administrator, as this latest debacle shows.
He inspires no confidence as chairman.
He had player managers refusing to talk to him as head of recruitment.
His moto/mantra of "free food and drink there's no excuse" after this year's awards shows that he is the epitome of what's currently wrong with the club. It's the 70s still in his head. There's massive problems with the club and he's a big reason why.

Craig Young should have been patted on the back, hand wrung extensively at all legends events and fan meet and greets and should have been in the stands or on the sideline in 2010 to share that incredible moment with his son.

And that should have been the extent of his involvement with the club. He's one anchor that's finally been cut free. Let's hope it's for good.
There’s a lot of Alberts out there in club land, the ex player who thinks they are the Steve Jobs of the game. We’ve got one in waiting called Benji.
He gets the head coach for three years without so much as coaching a game of tiddly winks.

I guess my point is that he’s surrounded by facilitators and enablers etc. So was the Albert.

But this too much for them. He was ratted out. I don’t believe he always planned to stand down without evidence. I’m open to it, but I doubt it.

That nice young Ms Gordon, I see you can now inherit a spot in the sgi Board. That’s not a new one, but I’m not sure about it.

I suppose strategically it brings in money and helps with the spin doctoring, but will help the club win games?

When the club is struggling on the park year after year, , does the broader social licence these appointments make, do they help or hinder progress?

Or do they simply legitimate the same old snouts and toleration of failure?

To be fair, she could well make really good decisions, I suppose she needs a chance.

Last edited:

jak

Bench
If Doust is sacked from the Board it will mean two vacant positions that are still available to fill. Now if the Board filled one of those vacancies with a Red V member (voted for by all Red V members), then things could be heading in the right direction.

All that would be needed to get the ball rolling would be to:
1. Appoint a top-quality board member to replace Doust.
2. Sack Griffin
3. Sign Hasler/Brown to fill vacant coaching/recruitment positions.
love your thoughts possm, keep swinging

Old Timer

Coach
FFS I can't believe that this is still getting a run in the press.

TBH the whole issue has been over hyped.

Albert did the wrong thing by using the club letterhead and his position and he has died on his sword because of that.

He was of the personal opinion and still expresses the personal opinion that Brett Finch was under the influence of drugs when he crossed an even bigger line into on line images and comments re kids etc.

Albert firmly believes that these actions (relating to children) are not typical behaviour for Finch and that in fact it is totally out of character and has said that in his character reference. He has also stated he is fully aware of Finch's drug related issues and all the reasons why Finch appeared before the court

Albert said "he would do it allover again"so he has doubled down on his support for providing a reference for Finch but of course some are taking that literally as meaning "using the club letterhead etc" which I think is not what Albert meant at all.

But of course it suits the agenda for the super negative posters.

In the end Albert knows Brett Finch far better than any of us and that Albert with his vast law enforcement background would be far better equipped than us or the media to make a judgement call on Brett Finch.

So I can find no criticism of Albert's personal opinion or his expression thereof.

I can however hold him accountable for use of the club and his position and that issue has been appropriately resolved.

So f**k the media for their holier than thou position and they should remember that they could have supported Finch long before this all descended into the ugly tangled mess it all became.

Albert says he's not willing to abandon Finch and that's what mates are all about but the media likes of the John's Bros and the others in their media entourage (aka arse licker's) quickly abandoned their former "great mate" Finchy.

So in the end I would trust Albert's judgement re Finch more than any of the pea hearts in the media who just keep trolling the bottom of the cesspool that is the NRL in their constant quest to find a story.

Did Finch cross a line that should never be crossed yes he did but were their influences that caused that and in fact Finch can be rehabilitated well Albert thinks so and I'm willing to accept his position.

FFS I can't believe that this is still getting a run in the press.

TBH the whole issue has been over hyped.

Albert did the wrong thing by using the club letterhead and his position and he has died on his sword because of that.

He was of the personal opinion and still expresses the personal opinion that Brett Finch was under the influence of drugs when he crossed an even bigger line into on line images and comments re kids etc.

Albert firmly believes that these actions (relating to children) are not typical behaviour for Finch and that in fact it is totally out of character and has said that in his character reference. He has also stated he is fully aware of Finch's drug related issues and all the reasons why Finch appeared before the court

Albert said "he would do it allover again"so he has doubled down on his support for providing a reference for Finch but of course some are taking that literally as meaning "using the club letterhead etc" which I think is not what Albert meant at all.

But of course it suits the agenda for the super negative posters.

In the end Albert knows Brett Finch far better than any of us and that Albert with his vast law enforcement background would be far better equipped than us or the media to make a judgement call on Brett Finch.

So I can find no criticism of Albert's personal opinion or his expression thereof.

I can however hold him accountable for use of the club and his position and that issue has been appropriately resolved.

So f**k the media for their holier than thou position and they should remember that they could have supported Finch long before this all descended into the ugly tangled mess it all became.

Albert says he's not willing to abandon Finch and that's what mates are all about but the media likes of the John's Bros and the others in their media entourage (aka arse licker's) quickly abandoned their former "great mate" Finchy.

So in the end I would trust Albert's judgement re Finch more than any of the pea hearts in the media who just keep trolling the bottom of the cesspool that is the NRL in their constant quest to find a story.

Did Finch cross a line that should never be crossed yes he did but were their influences that caused that and in fact Finch can be rehabilitated well Albert thinks so and I'm willing to accept his position.
Some good and interesting points.

I didn’t take his “do it all again” to mean the letterhead. I agree with you on that.

As I understand it, Finch went back to his scum site more than a couple of times, now he wants to rely upon drugs to a get out of jail card.

Unless Albert is around him 24/7 and knows his thoughts, he can’t offer much insight on Finch.

The best he could do is detail his encounters with Finch and make comments on what he observed that are relevant. This is all pre drug I guess.

Albert said Brett was a leader or whatever, but he might have said, he’s seen him interact with young people hundreds of times over x years and he’s never seen him say or do anything untoward etc.

Albert said finch made a genuine mistake in this instance. No, Albert, he’s made multiple mistakes, years of drug abuse and the shit that brings to his family and friends and multiple visits to fastpedo.

It’s not a single “mistake” or “instance” plus they withdrew multiple counts to secure the plea of guilty.

The judge might feel Alberts reference is not as accurate as it could be and if so, how much weight should he give it?

That said, I made the call earlier, he’s got a good draw for a judge and I expect Finch to walk.

Brett’s shrink has said that if he’s released, he should be subjected to hair follicle drug tests etc.

So depending on the sentence, if he partakes, possible breach and to the slammer anyway and unless he gets his head right, a cycle.

Big challenge for Finch ahead.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Some good and interesting points.

I didn’t take his “do it all again” to mean the letterhead. I agree with you on that.

As I understand it, Finch went back to his scum site more than a couple of times, now he wants to rely upon drugs to a get out of jail card.

Unless Albert is around him 24/7 and knows his thoughts, he can’t offer much insight on Finch.

The best he could do is detail his encounters with Finch and make comments on what he observed that are relevant. This is all pre drug I guess.

Albert said Brett was a leader or whatever, but he might have said, he’s seen him interact with young people hundreds of times over x years and he’s never seen him say or do anything untoward etc.

Albert said finch made a genuine mistake in this instance. No, Albert, he’s made multiple mistakes, years of drug abuse and the shit that brings to his family and friends and multiple visits to fastpedo.

It’s not a single “mistake” or “instance” plus they withdrew multiple counts to secure the plea of guilty.

The judge might feel Alberts reference is not as accurate as it could be and if so, how much weight should he give it?

That said, I made the call earlier, he’s got a good draw for a judge and I expect Finch to walk.

Brett’s shrink has said that if he’s released, he should be subjected to hair follicle drug tests etc.

So depending on the sentence, if he partakes, possible breach and to the slammer anyway and unless he gets his head right, a cycle.

Big challenge for Finch ahead.
Well maybe Mr Young's personal reference on the Dragons letterhead might have helped Finch from serving time in His Majesties prison. I think Albert wanted to do something that would prevent Finch going to prison. The Young and Finch families will be celebrating tonight.

A small miracle jagging His Honour and what was it, he had 6 charges dropped in the plea deal.

It is what it is, but I’m thinking do we now have a “finch defence” for pedo cretins? That is, make sure you have a drug problem etc.

No doubt Albert will feel that he’s helped his mate and family but at significant personal cost, lost his calling in life and I imagine his ex cop mates, they simply won’t wear it.

I thought your club handled the matter exceptionally well.

The boys can run out with a bit of an extra spring in the step, be a bit prouder they belong.

Not even the chairman of the club, the lord of lords at club level, can cast the merest of shadow over the jersey.

That’s a good thing.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Well maybe Mr Young's personal reference on the Dragons letterhead might have helped Finch from serving time in His Majesties prison. I think Albert wanted to do something that would prevent Finch going to prison. The Young and Finch families will be celebrating tonight.

I wonder how much reference letters even impact on sentencing. I'm guessing very little.

Presumably not getting prison time has more to do with it being a first offence than the nice words people wrote.

Walpole

Juniors
I think if you read the details of the case it was always unlikely he would get prison time. He's still a grub and Albert still tried to use his position to influence the court but I'd be happy if we never heard about either of them again.

Except of course if it's in the context of Albert being one of our best ever front rowers and everything he's done afterwards is ignored...

I thought from reports that the judges clemency was more activated by the lack of evidence that he was a “proper”pedo than anything else.

Brett’s finished.

Your only option if you ever come across a site like that is to report it. You can do it anonymously, but you have to act. Brett didn’t.

Last edited:
I think if you read the details of the case it was always unlikely he would get prison time. He's still a grub and Albert still tried to use his position to influence the court but I'd be happy if we never heard about either of them again.

Except of course if it's in the context of Albert being one of our best ever front rowers and everything he's done afterwards is ignored...
I think he got lucky with the chance assignment of the judge. It’s law but it’s a human system too.

I think most of the district court judges would have slotted him and I don’t think there would have been too much public outrage.

Judges apply the law anyway, they are not there to be popular, which i think is a good thing.

He was well-represented all the way. I imagine it was very expensive, lawyers and resources many working people simply wouldn’t have had access to. That’s a bad thing.

Albert was an outstanding forward, no question. One of the best of his era.

Last edited:

Latest posts