What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Young and personal reference for Finch

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Grub of a person supporting a delinquent like Finch.. because? He was my ex team mates son…
f**k off forever Young!!
Young has always been a bull in a China shop in everything he's put his hands on at the Dragons. I remember reading years ago when he was involved in recruitment that player agents wanted nothing to do with him due to his gruff and abrupt manner. That it took him until now before he fell on his sword tells us something about his old school, cop, I'm always right mentality.

Old Timer

Coach
I have no issue with Young supplying a personal reference for Finch.

I have an issue with him writing it with the club’s logo, indicating that his views are representative of the club, and therefore of us.

As for the media. A club chairman f**ked up royally, and it’s symptomatic of a larger issue in our governance. Of course it’s a story.

We’re not f**ked because the media is writing about us. The media is writing about us because we’re f**ked. I for one hope they keep the spotlight on the club. Seems to be the only thing that precipitates change.
Your last paragraph somewhat highlights my point
The media print an article in full knowledge we will arc up about it.

Having done that and thereby ensuring that the media gets some brownie points we somehow conclude that our club was doing nothing and if not for the media would have continued to do so.

So the media did correctly expose what Young did but we analyse it to death and call our club f**ked for the fact that that they Chairman did something without the clubs knowledge.

FMD we condemned and bagged out the club but barely gave them 5 seconds to respond to something they were blind sided by and even bag them for that.

It’s like people think the media are in our corner fighting for the fans well time to wake up that is not even remotely the case.

The media want us to self implode and they keep lighting fuses and we keep throwing the dynamite.

Where were the media to say

We were sold a pup when we were forced to being the so called “Suoerclub”

When Bennett f**ked up the Broncos with Henjak and us with Price and that Bennett was all about Bennett

When Mc Fookknuckle was right royally f**king us over with incompetence. Of him they said “career coach”

When Big Gus right royally f**ked us over with his review of Mc Fookknuckle

When they bagged the fans for the Oust Doust campaigns etc

When the NRL right royally f**ked us over with the Stand Down Rules

When the judiciary right royally f**ked us over with “touched a ref” suspension of Frizzell

When the judiciary right royally f**ked us over on multiple occasions re sin bins and suspensions over the last few years.

Well IMO f**k the media and to be quite honest f**k some of the fans who jump on the clubs back at every single instance the moment that the press write about something.

Young considered his position and stood down and some here are not willing to contemplate Albert came to the conclusion himself or that the BOD did help reach that decision if he couldn’t see it.

In our negative paralysis we instead choose to embrace the press who haven’t actually given us the time of day let alone a fair go in almost 60 years.

justadragon

Bench
This situation paints a clearer picture of what the players thought of Albert, looks like both Sullivan and Sloane didnt want to pay any attention to him until Webby got involved, its a different era now with juniors, and just telling them to suck it up or harden up just doesn't cut it anymore. Any club official at his level would know you dont provide personal references backed by a corporate Logo, maybe he thought it would add impetus to his reference, alas a fatal error. Albert I wont forget you as a player of the mighty saints, but I will remember you as one of the worst coaches and administrators we have ever had.

TruSaint

Referee
This situation paints a clearer picture of what the players thought of Albert, looks like both Sullivan and Sloane didnt want to pay any attention to him until Webby got involved, its a different era now with juniors, and just telling them to suck it up or harden up just doesn't cut it anymore. Any club official at his level would know you dont provide personal references backed by a corporate Logo, maybe he thought it would add impetus to his reference, alas a fatal error. Albert I wont forget you as a player of the mighty saints, but I will remember you as one of the worst coaches and administrators we have ever had.

Nailed it.

👍

SBD82

Coach

Having done that and thereby ensuring that the media gets some brownie points we somehow conclude that our club was doing nothing and if not for the media would have continued to do so.

So the media did correctly expose what Young did but we analyse it to death and call our club f**ked for the fact that that they Chairman did something without the clubs knowledge.

FMD we condemned and bagged out the club but barely gave them 5 seconds to respond to something they were blind sided by and even bag them for that.

It’s like people think the media are in our corner fighting for the fans well time to wake up that is not even remotely the case.

The media want us to self implode and they keep lighting fuses and we keep throwing the dynamite.

When Bennett f**ked up the Broncos with Henjak and us with Price and that Bennett was all about Bennett

When Mc Fookknuckle was right royally f**king us over with incompetence. Of him they said “career coach”

When the judiciary right royally f**ked us over with “touched a ref” suspension of Frizzell

When the judiciary right royally f**ked us over on multiple occasions re sin bins and suspensions over the last few years.

Well IMO f**k the media and to be quite honest f**k some of the fans who jump on the clubs back at every single instance the moment that the press write about something.

Young considered his position and stood down and some here are not willing to contemplate Albert came to the conclusion himself or that the BOD did help reach that decision if he couldn’t see it.

In our negative paralysis we instead choose to embrace the press who haven’t actually given us the time of day let alone a fair go in almost 60 years.
If our board had demonstrated good governance then I could see why they should be afforded some grace.

But they simply haven’t. Self interest is the single consistent factor in their decision making. That same self interest has made it impossible to vote them out, so media pressure remains the last surviving avenue for fans to vent their frustration.

They don’t get respect simply because they are the board. They have to earn it.

Old Timer

Coach
If our board had demonstrated good governance then I could see why they should be afforded some grace.

But they simply haven’t. Self interest is the single consistent factor in their decision making. That same self interest has made it impossible to vote them out, so media pressure remains the last surviving avenue for fans to vent their frustration.

They don’t get respect simply because they are the board. They have to earn it.
I think sometimes fans get confused between “governance” and “decisions”

Bad decisions made / taken don’t always = bad governance.

We like to find lots of reasons to think they do and the press help feed that.

The Albert issue is one of pure governance and the end result = good
but many in here will disagree and think that the position was forced upon them and if not for the press nothing would have happened.

SBD82

Coach
I think sometimes fans get confused between “governance” and “decisions”

Bad decisions made / taken don’t always = bad governance.

We like to find lots of reasons to think they do and the press help feed that.

The Albert issue is one of pure governance and the end result = good
but many in here will disagree and think that the position was forced upon them and if not for the press nothing would have happened.
I agree that in isolation, a single bad decision doesn’t equal bad governance.

But this is hardly an isolated decision. As I said, I would be willing to give them some leeway if they were generally competent. They simply aren’t.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

Mate. After only reading the first few paragraphs of your post. I can say that, the issue isn’t anyone not giving the club a chance to act. The issue is, this bloke has been in charge of making important decisions for the club for a very long time. And the same bloke didn’t think it was a bad idea to give a character reference to an accused pedo on St George Letterhead. And after having to stand down, he’s still defending his actions. That’s the issue! That this dumbass has been in charge for so long, and is so friggin dumb! Which might give us all a clue as to why the club is in the state it is in.

possm

Coach
Well now it is time to take the opportunity to:
1. Replace Albert with some real talent on the Board.
2. Replace Griffin with Hasler.
3. Sign David Fifita
4. Sooner rather than later we need to replace Peter Doust as well.

possm

Coach
I agree that in isolation, a single bad decision doesn’t equal bad governance.

But this is hardly an isolated decision. As I said, I would be willing to give them some leeway if they were generally competent. They simply aren’t.
There have been so many bad actions and decisions that have directly harmed the potential for success of our club, that it is very understandable to me that fans wanted Albert gone.

blacksafake

First Grade
Young has always been a bull in a China shop in everything he's put his hands on at the Dragons. I remember reading years ago when he was involved in recruitment that player agents wanted nothing to do with him due to his gruff and abrupt manner. That it took him until now before he fell on his sword tells us something about his old school, cop, I'm always right mentality.
I know of someone who had dealings with him when he was in charge of recruitment.
His thoughts were that you had to want to play for the dragons first for discussions to go further & it was very much old school mentality from him.

SGMax

Juniors
"....Chairman Craig Young has decided to step down from his position on the club board."
To me this sounds like he will probably be given a senior managers role somewhere at the club.
Maybe he will revert to being just a board member....for a while.
I doubt we have seen the last of Young and its likely he will still exert influence around the club just not as Chairman of the Board.

"....Chairman Craig Young has decided to step down from his position on the club board."
To me this sounds like he will probably be given a senior managers role somewhere at the club.
I doubt we have seen the last of Young and its likely he will still exert influence around the club just not as Chairman of the Board.
That’s a very interesting take.

I reckon he’s heading into the oblivion for the time being because I think the board members gave him an ultimatum and he’s been grossly defiant and entirely self serving in his language. Burnt a lot of bridges.

The panel here and students of the club appear to be pleased to see the back of him, but as you suggest, he must have a following out there somewhere.

Yet, entirely understandably, people hate pedos and anything remotely associated with them. They aren’t necessarily interested in details or disclaimers. I think that was the boards reasoning to make him drink from his poisoned chalice.

I can’t see a way back for him, not with the current board etc.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach

What part of that statement suggests he will get a senior manager role?

And what part of it suggests he will still be on the board?

I think we all know the answer to that, but the proposition that he could still be found in some club entrails capacity is intriguing.

Having fallen from the heady heights of High Command, perhaps he could start the process of personal redemption by working with a junior club in a volunteer capacity.

After a period in relative club purgatory, giving to others, no one could then question his love and commitment to the club, contributing as he can in his own small way.

And accordingly, once this is all dealt with, peoples memories fading and moving on, sometime in the future, he could seek another chance somewhere.

But If he wants to stay at home hating on the club in isolation and bathe in his sense of victimhood and self entitlement, no good will come of it. Things will get worse for him. Visiting him wouldn’t be much fun as he belts on about it or his wife warns you not to raise SGI when you see him.

He may get consumed by it and even need psychological help. He could do worse than get some counselling now where it could make a big difference. Not just him, but his friends and family.

Club hero to zero overnight is a big change in circumstances. He might be clearing out his trophy cabinet and taking club pictures down at home.

This is an opportunity for him to redeem himself.

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors

Reading the statement with its specific wording makes me suspicious:
step down from his position on the club board.

So....to me they have only committed to removing him from his current position on the club board....not any other position in the club board or from the club in general.

possm

Coach
That’s a very interesting take.

I reckon he’s heading into the oblivion for the time being because I think the board members gave him an ultimatum and he’s been grossly defiant and entirely self serving in his language. Burnt a lot of bridges.

The panel here and students of the club appear to be pleased to see the back of him, but as you suggest, he must have a following out there somewhere.

Yet, entirely understandably, people hate pedos and anything remotely associated with them. They aren’t necessarily interested in details or disclaimers. I think that was the boards reasoning to make him drink from his poisoned chalice.

I can’t see a way back for him, not with the current board etc.
Or was he given a golden handshake and now off to the Cowboys Board? Lots of experience to offer them.

Latest posts