What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Young and personal reference for Finch

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Has the club said anything about this? Or are they staying quiet because they don’t believe he’s done anything wrong?

Sloth

Juniors

St George Illawarra Dragons Chairman Craig Young has drawn some strong reactions after it was revealed that he used stationery adorned with the club's iconic branding to write and submit a character reference for disgraced former NRL player Brett Finch.

Finch is currently awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to sharing child abuse material through an online service. He was arrested in December last year.

Young, a former police officer, is within his rights to offer a character reference to any personal relation or acquaintance, but many Dragons fans and members have taken issue with the fact that he chose to write his lengthy endorsement on a letterhead explicitly covered in Dragons branding, associating the club with the matter in an unflattering way.

“Your Honour,

I've known Brett Finch for the majority of his life… The Finch family are very decent and honest people and take great pride in their standing within the community and the examples they set.”

The letter to the court goes on to detail Young's history with Finch, praising his leadership skills, sportsmanship and monitoring his teammate's behaviour.

It then points to the remorse and embarrassment Finch has felt, as well as his ongoing struggles with mental health.

“I believe he has learnt the strongest of lesson (sic) from this matter.”

Young then clarifies that he is a person who “despises” this behaviour, before claiming Finch had simply made a mistake and won't be seen in front of the courts again.

young-504x675.jpg

Finch's team is currently trying to secure a sentence that avoids jail time, with fears that Finch may be ‘targeted' in prison.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

St George Illawarra Dragons Chairman Craig Young has drawn some strong reactions after it was revealed that he used stationery adorned with the club's iconic branding to write and submit a character reference for disgraced former NRL player Brett Finch.

Finch is currently awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to sharing child abuse material through an online service. He was arrested in December last year.

Young, a former police officer, is within his rights to offer a character reference to any personal relation or acquaintance, but many Dragons fans and members have taken issue with the fact that he chose to write his lengthy endorsement on a letterhead explicitly covered in Dragons branding, associating the club with the matter in an unflattering way.

“Your Honour,

I've known Brett Finch for the majority of his life… The Finch family are very decent and honest people and take great pride in their standing within the community and the examples they set.”

The letter to the court goes on to detail Young's history with Finch, praising his leadership skills, sportsmanship and monitoring his teammate's behaviour.

It then points to the remorse and embarrassment Finch has felt, as well as his ongoing struggles with mental health.

“I believe he has learnt the strongest of lesson (sic) from this matter.”

Young then clarifies that he is a person who “despises” this behaviour, before claiming Finch had simply made a mistake and won't be seen in front of the courts again.

young-504x675.jpg

Finch's team is currently trying to secure a sentence that avoids jail time, with fears that Finch may be ‘targeted' in prison.
Just like pedo's who target children, bit of karma but nowhere near enough...

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Definitely C.Young is trying to
make his "personal character reference " have more influence, in using the STGEORGE letter head.
The question now is did he have permission to do so?
If the answer is NO what are the consequences
If answer is YES why did the
Board allow this to happen?
Also what about our club sponsors what is there response to this debacle?
There are no consequences, will be told don't do that again, here is a payrise and 5 year extension.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Completely aside from on field performances over the last few years, this club has repeatedly made me feel gross as a supporter time and time again. The only thing that surprises me about the Manly 7 dickheads is that it wasn't the Dragons that had that controversy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"It was an error in judgement to put this statement on club letterhead," Young said.
Sorry, but that doesn't wash. This is not a schoolboy error.
The warning bells must have been going off in his head. If not, that makes it worse.
The only thing I can say in his defence is he has apologised and isn't blaming it on some office admin malfunction. But that's a small mercy. He should step down.

hewi

Bench
Best thing that could happen is he goes. But, it would be hard getting off the gravy train.

Illusion

Bench
The Dragons.

A place where supporting your wife and child through a difficult time will get you blacklisted from first grade.

But sharing child sex material will get you a written reference from the Chairman.
Spot on , nomore to say and if people disagree with this then the joint here will be divided, as the Club and players will be divided ......

Illusion

Bench
"It was an error in judgement to put this statement on club letterhead," Young said.
Sorry, but that doesn't wash. This is not a schoolboy error.
The warning bells must have been going off in his head. If not, that makes it worse.
The only thing I can say in his defence is he has apologised and isn't blaming it on some office admin malfunction. But that's a small mercy. He should step down.
Young has and will continue being a problem at the club .....