What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

King-Gutho94

Coach
Serious question, what help do South Africa need from the 'Big 3'? They're not minnows...

Growing up the big 3 wasn't a thing. South Africa were heavyweights the same way we were. They had some of the best players on the planet. It's not Australia, India or England's fault that they f**ked that all up because they are an absolute political basket case who still insist on colour quotas and drive half their quality cricketers to Kolpak deals...or out of the country completely as kids who's families fear for their safety

South Africa can f**k off IMO. Should be banned from Test cricket for the current WTC
I was trying to be nice to south Africa.

But I can't disagree with what you have said.

They truly deserve to have nothing in there trophy cabinet from World Cups.

I think they have done more damage here to test cricket then what sandpaper gate did.

Pippen94

First Grade
I was trying to be nice to south Africa.

But I can't disagree with what you have said.

They truly deserve to have nothing in there trophy cabinet from World Cups.

I think they have done more damage here to test cricket then what sandpaper gate did.

South Africa isn't Australia. Cricket there can only respond to market pressures.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
South Africa won't replicate the financial success of the IPL for the same reasons every other league hasn't: they don't have a billion plus Indian cricket obsessed fans and they don't have Indian cricketers playing in the tournament.

Test cricket is an acquired taste and if games are uncompetitive than its an even more difficult sell. T20 is an easier sell even if the standard of leagues like the BBL and this SA league are mediocre. It fills 3 hours of prime time tv, it is basically reality tv. Its kid friendly. You don't have to think about it and the reality is most fans don't really care if their team wins the competition or not.

Players love it and why not. There's less responsibility, more money, less work.

South Africa have set a precedent though. Lets hope they don't complain when teams send second rate squads to play in their marquee boxing day and news years tests.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Such an insightful analysis.
Who let this liberal arts clown into the cricket forum?? FMD!!

@Bazal pretty much summed it up perfectly, if the Saffa’s continue down this road they will be another Windies. Players who are just mercenaries and put money ahead of playing for their country.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Doesnt really surprise me and its really sad. We have 3 nations taking test cricket really serious and someone predicted we could go down the path of having India and England every summer with other nations focusing on T20 tournaments. Now with this happening, you might as well not play test cricket. Its a real insult to the format which I still believe is the number 1. I like T20 cricket dont get me wrong but sometimes its hit and miss and too predictable. The ODI's have gone down that path although I did enjoy the WC even, regardless of whether the Aussies win it.

There is so much great talent outside of India, England and Australia that could be competitive test nations, but instead its focusing too much on the smaller formats.

I love test cricket, Ive seen some of the best cricket played at test level, so many over the years have gone right down to the wire, great contests. We saw the recent Australia/Pakistan match, great contest and I applaud Pakistan for their effort.

Lets not kill this format. I personally couldnt give a stuff about the T20 World Cup or god help us if they create a T10 tournament.

TheParraboy

Staff member
South Africa have set a precedent though. Lets hope they don't complain when teams send second rate squads to play in their marquee boxing day and news years tests.

Id like us to send this XI down there way...

Marcus Harris
Max Bryant
Kurtis Patterson
Jordon Silk
Jake Fraser-McKirk
Mathew Wade (wk)
Daniel Sams
Patrick Dooley
Billy Stanlake
Riley Meredith
Georgia Wareham

Bazal

Post Whore

This is pretty telling:

'It was estimated an IPL match is worth $21.7 million due to the enormous TV and digital rights deal in the subcontinent, ahead of the English Premier League at around $17 million.'

It is but mostly telling of the stupidity of the other countries like SA.

Their whole Micky mouse comp isn't worth 22 mill. Like the thing or not, the IPL is the EPL of the T20 circuit. South Africa is the A League.

I still say the solution is that T20 is franchise only. You can even still run a World Cup every four years if you want. Folks wanna be mercenaries, let them go. No player is irreplaceable.

There might be an adjustment period for some teams if they lose players but in the long run it'll separate the formats and clear the international schedule as well. That'll allow better quality Test and ODI cricket.

It’s almost like a century ago where there was only Australia and England, and then some South Africa.
Australia aren’t immune to the problem. They’ve allowed our summer window to be cut to 5 tests, partake in 2 test series and cancelled tours to Bangladesh etc. over safety concerns. You reap what you sow.

For years we should’ve done more for at least NZ. How there isn’t a unified BBL for Australia (6 teams) and NZ (4-6 teams) is beyond me. How we don’t play mid-year tests up north and play more ODIs against emerging nations is a joke.
Afghanistan and Ireland have test status and we still haven’t played them ffs.
Bloody hell, CNSW ignore south western Sydney in regards to junior development to their detriment and the well will dry up.

Reactions: JJ

Bazal

Post Whore

I agree with most of what you've said but again, why do we owe these countries anything?

I've shifted my view a lot over the last few years. And forget Afghanistan, they should be stripped of all international status...sadly, I loved their rise but they're again run by literal stone age terrorists. And besides, we've helped them more than many countries with the number of players we've brought into the BBL.

But if a country is good enough to be awarded test status it shouldn't need the help of rivals. That's the ICCs job, especially now they control most of the schedule. The most I'd be doing as CA is sending A teams to Ireland to expose blokes to English conditions.

Pippen94

First Grade
It’s almost like a century ago where there was only Australia and England, and then some South Africa.
Australia aren’t immune to the problem. They’ve allowed our summer window to be cut to 5 tests, partake in 2 test series and cancelled tours to Bangladesh etc. over safety concerns. You reap what you sow.

For years we should’ve done more for at least NZ. How there isn’t a unified BBL for Australia (6 teams) and NZ (4-6 teams) is beyond me. How we don’t play mid-year tests up north and play more ODIs against emerging nations is a joke.
Bloody hell, CNSW ignore south western Sydney in regards to junior development to their detriment and the well will dry up.

New Zealand has population of 4 million - about same size as Queensland. No sense to have a joint competition of equal parts. Netball showed this won't work too

JJ

Immortal
Equal sized comp wouldn't be viable, but 2-3 NZ teams would work.

It's not Aust's problem, but would be great if they supported NZ cricket more, I think there's untapped talent here - many of the best kids play union and cricket, but most favour union just because - that could change

And go Steve Waugh, absolute legend...

King hit

Coach
The baggy green is still a coveted thing for Australian cricketers and the test players get a good wage so I don’t think this is something that will happen to us. I love test matches and never want them to die.

King hit

Coach
Serious question, what help do South Africa need from the 'Big 3'? They're not minnows...

Growing up the big 3 wasn't a thing. South Africa were heavyweights the same way we were. They had some of the best players on the planet. It's not Australia, India or England's fault that they f**ked that all up because they are an absolute political basket case who still insist on colour quotas and drive half their quality cricketers to Kolpak deals...or out of the country completely as kids who's families fear for their safety

South Africa can f**k off IMO. Should be banned from Test cricket for the current WTC
I’ve been told by South Africans I’ve known/met that it’s when black people came to power is when this shit all started. It’s f**ked. My dad did a lot of business in South Africa and has some pretty unpleasant stories about dealing with South African businessmen.