What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

TheParraboy

Staff member
Davey and Candice should be put in charge of the ICC - clearly they are the only one's equipped to establish moral lines around what is appropriate in terms of on-field behaviour... seems that the line allows Davey to say and do whatever he wants, but nobody is allowed to talk to Davey, else he might sulk and run of the field, or have a low level tanty in a stair-well - what a champion he is

He would have copped bucketloads over his career

Hell, anyone of us playing against him would have given it to him.

He along with Smith has lost millions this year. If he ticks the boxes he should be back in the side.

Timbo

Staff member
The thing is, I just don’t think he gets it. I get the impression that Smith and Bancroft know how badly they f**ked up and how pissed people are.

Warner has his PR team working overtime and has Candice sitting in front of every camera in Australia talking about how hard it’s been and how poor Davey just isn’t coping. He’s playing in five different T20 leagues during his suspension year - he’ll earn more this year than I earn in a decade. Their whole ‘we have a mortgage that Davey’s oled ads was paying for’ thing that she’s trotted out is utter horseshit.

He’s a complete and utter wanker who thinks he’s the victim. Goodbye and good riddance.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think the leadership group, along with JL will have a huge influence if Davey comes back or not

I’m happy to ride with that, whatever they decide

JJ

Immortal
Maybe - but his reactions are evidence of what Steve Waugh termed 'mental disintegration' - he's waged a sledging war on everyone, yet someone gets under his skin, and heavens, they've crossed the line - how shocking

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Hell, anyone of us playing against him would have given it to him.

He along with Smith has lost millions this year. If he ticks the boxes he should be back in the side.
That's what happens when you cheat and then try to cover it up.

This bloke only cares about the $$$, from the oled commercials right through to the pissy jump and point to the wife when he scores a hundred on the road.

If he comes back in all the talk about changing the culture in the side from a win at all costs one is just bullshit.

TheParraboy

Staff member
review from hundreds of peoples input, ex players, officials etc...

review totally independent

TheParraboy

Staff member
when high performance created after argus review not as much emphasis put on "spirit of the game"

a dig a our mate Pat Howard?

TheParraboy

Staff member
lots of talk about moving forward, leaned from our mistakes, want cricket to be the best it can be yadi yada...

TheParraboy

Staff member
report outlined the perception that CA is arrogant,

didnt need a report to tell us that

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
sanctions stand on the banned players - dam it

so from what I can tell, James Sutherland and Pat Howard quitting are the good things to come out of sandpaper gate

TheParraboy

Staff member
Cricket Australia should be blown up.

Put Ian Chappell in charge of cricket in Australia.

speak of the devil

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cri...ing-review-release/ar-BBP2MHm?ocid=spartanntp

Former Australian captain Ian Chappell says it’s “ridiculous” players are the only victims of the ball-tampering scandal, following the release of a damning report that describes Cricket Australia as “arrogant” and “controlling.”

The Australian Cricketers Association is once again calling for the suspensions handed to Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft to be re-examined, after the Longstaff review recommended “the leadership of CA accept its share of responsibility for the circumstances that gave rise to the ball-tampering incident.”

While CA chairman David Peever has ruled out any softening of the bans, Chappell says those in charge need to be personally responsible.

“If people in administration don’t pay the price it’s absolutely ridiculous,” Chappell told Wide World of Sports.

“If it was fair, the players would get the opportunity to hand out the punishments to the administrators, but unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

“I wouldn’t blame the players if they’re very angry that Smith, Warner and Bancroft have been suspended but no administrator is getting any punishment.”

The report also noted that CA had lost sight of the fact cricket is a sport, not a business. Chappell, one of the driving forces behind the game becoming more professional with the establishment of World Series Cricket in 1977, says the balance has gone too far in favour of business.

“I think it’s one of the problems with professional sport, and having been involved in cricket going more professional than what it was, I didn’t envisage that business would take over cricket as much as it has,” the former skipper said.

“You can’t apply a lot of the business principles to sport. It’s a game. The fact that the bottom line pretty much rules every decision is very disappointing.”

Chappell’s view is shared by another former skipper, and CA board member, Mark Taylor, who says the governing body needs to be mindful of the distinction between sport and business.

“I liked the subtle difference (in the report) of not using ‘winning at all costs’ but rather ‘winning without counting the cost’, because to me that’s a better analogy,” Taylor told Wide World of Sports.

“It tells me that at CA we’ve become almost like a corporation, and I think the cricket community is saying ‘it’s gone too far, it’s too much business and not enough cricket’.

“We’ve got to turn the dial back a bit. All of us around the board table love the game, but we’re being told to think a little bit more about the cricket and less about the business.”
With the culture of CA being severely criticised, questions remain about the appointment of an “insider” taking over as CEO following the resignation of long-time boss James Sutherland.

Kevin Roberts, who was in charge of the protracted and acrimonious pay negotiations between the players and the governing body last year, has succeeded Sutherland in the top job, and Taylor has defended the decision to appoint an administrator already associated with the culture that has been so heavily questioned.

“That’s a decision the board has to make, and it’s probably the most important decision you make,” he said.

“When we made the appointment of Kevin Roberts as our CEO we looked both within and outside the organisation, and he was the best man for the job, and that’s all you can do.

“People can have their own opinion about whether he should come from within or outside CA, but Kevin has a mandate through this review to make change. You could argue he’s seen CA as it was before the review, now he’s got a very good road-map to make changes.”

Despite the prominence being given to the reports, and the time and effort spent compiling them, Chappell isn’t optimistic they’ll result in a significant change.

“Reviews, I don’t have a lot of faith in them,” he said.

“I didn’t have much faith that the reviews were going to do much. And from what I’ve gathered so far, it hasn’t told me anything you couldn’t work out from spending a bit of time around the game.”

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
God I'm over this stuff.

As a raiders fan, and I'm sure the eels fans around here will have some empathy for me, I've always been able to get through another year of disappointment by seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in the form of the Australian cricket team.

Now they're a pack of bludgers run by a pack of clowns.

Maybe I should start watching table tennis or something

TheParraboy

Staff member
God I'm over this stuff.

As a raiders fan, and I'm sure the eels fans around here will have some empathy for me, I've always been able to get through another year of disappointment by seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in the form of the Australian cricket team.

Now they're a pack of bludgers run by a pack of clowns.

Maybe I should start watching table tennis or something

You have no idea how excited (as an eels fan) I am when the eels win a game, let alone two in a row

Wonder if I will have that same feeling if the aussie cricket team win one or two games this coming summer?

But your spot on, starts at the top

at least Sutherland and Howard are going, probably some others should follow