What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Mr Spock!

Referee
Yeah just couldnt imagine Lillee or Thommo doing any good against batsmen who average in the mid 30s.

I could just see Finch tonning up against Holding and Marshall. With Lab and khwaja putting on 400 against Garner and Croft.

Or the poms who struggled against Kemar and Holder.

Meanwhile in the real world...the standard of first class cricket continues to drop.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Yeah, it's nothing more than an interesting hypothetical at the end of the day.

I think the biggest successes would be blokes like Hadlee (for eg) rather than a Lillee or a Thompson, personally. I think his ability to move the ball the way he did would translate better than raw aggression.

No doubt a guy like Thommo or Lillee would get wickets. They'd both take the odd bag, as well. But they'd also be less consistent than even a guy like Starc or Johnson IMO. Basically just because of the lack of professional training, fewer matches and overs at the international level back then, and the much more professional approach of the batsmen these days.

I think the more interesting discussion would be what might happen if you put a guy like Border or some of the earlier bats who barely wore a lid in a situation where he had the protection the blokes today do...
Helmets were being worn from 78 and Border always wore a helmet (minus face covering) unless facing spin at both ends.

Didn't stop the Windies dominating nor Thommo and Lillee cleaning up.

Those England teams that were getting tortured in the 80s by the West Indies were wearing helmets.

JJ

Immortal
“To be spoken about in the same sentence and Shane Warne and the likes of Glen McGrath and Dennis Lillee, is obviously pretty special,”

LOL... same sentence... he's assuming same sentence means same class... someone mentioned me in the same sentence as Richard Hadlee when I was young... I tried his little shuffle at the start of my run-up

jargan83

Coach
Was listening to ABC Radio and they were talking BBL finals and It was mentioned on at one stage yesterday that Cricket Australia is eyeing off introducing a bidding system or a fixed location for the BBL final.

Terrible idea if true, I'm sure that Brisbane vs Perth at the MCG will really draw a crowd lol.

Granted the season is too long now but I wouldn't kind the introduction of a Prelim final. 1 vs 2 for the hosting rights of the final, 3 vs 4 in a knock out and the loser of final 1 plays the winner of final 2.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
52952618_10156072838322555_5495688999177551872_n.png

hineyrulz

Post Whore

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Looks like the retro ODI kit is here to stay, with a vote for next summer.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/pick-the-kit-fan-vote-australia-odi-kit-2019-20-poll/2019-02-19

1981-84 World Series Cricket

1986-87 Perth Challenge

1988-92 Baseball style

1992 World Cup

1992-94 Lightning Bolts

1996 World Cup

1999 World Cup

1999-2001 Blue Stripe

Notable omission is the 1994-1996 southern cross design.

Some good choices, I've always been a fan of the late 80s 90s version and the lightning bolts one as I started getting into cricket then when I was a kid.

99 WC kit should be one of the popular choices as its such a unique one and we won it in it. I think its the last WC where every country had the same make.

96 WC, meh not a huge fan but ok, prefer 1992 one, I have that one they released in 2015 during the WC.

Id say the least popular is the blue stripe one. Not a great fan, although I do have one signed by the great Steve Waugh which I will cherish forever.

You're right about the notable omission 94-96, and similar one 97-99. Shouldve been one of the choices.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well, Cricket SA, if it's not good for the game perhaps you should take steps to prevent it.

Like, I dunno, scrapping your quota system for a start

Mr Spock!

Referee
Well, Cricket SA, if it's not good for the game perhaps you should take steps to prevent it.

Like, I dunno, scrapping your quota system for a start
Seems to have more to do with how much they are paid than how many blacks are in the team.

150 000 pounds to play County cricket v 50 000 pounds to play for South Africa.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
First Abott and now Oliver, two quality bowlers they have lost.

Maybe they need a Big Bash like we do?????

TheParraboy

Staff member
Seems to have more to do with how much they are paid than how many blacks are in the team.

Yeah a money thing

First Abott and now Oliver, two quality bowlers they have lost.

Maybe they need a Big Bash like we do?????

They actually started their own t20 comp this summer, before the international matches

Bazal

Post Whore

Partly, yeah. But also, they have guys who are blocked out of the national side by the quota

It's partly a pathway thing for sure, moreso than the race issue some try and paint the quota as. Duanne Olivier might be more on the money side, given he's probably not getting in over Rabada or Ngidi on ability, but others aren't.

How many blokes do you reckon watch Temba Bavuma play like a spaz and know they won't get in over him because of the quota? So they have to sit there, cop shit pay, and still not get a chance to play for their country because Cricket SA have to meet a quota.

No wonder they leave.

I read something that said there are 40 Kolpak players from South Africa in England. They outnumber genuinely poor cricketing nations hugely, so money can't be the only issue.