What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Bazal

Post Whore
Check out Ashwin's mankad of Jos Buttler in the IPL.

of course it's not cheating :rolling_eyes:

The Indians on social are all calling Butler a cheat for leaving his crease early.... Lol

Ashwin stopped in his delivery stride, turned, and mankaded him when he left the crease. Butler was being reasonable in backing up, Ashwin is a cheat and most importantly the umpire should have signaled dead ball under the rules.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Imagine if it had of happened to an Indian player???

It would be the worst thing to ever happen on a cricket field.

TIGER14

Bench
Fair play imo.
You could have fit The Oasis of the Seas between Jos Buttler and his crease. Buttler was taking the piss with how much he was backing up.

If a non-striker can get away with being that far out of their crease they might as well just stand halfway down the pitch.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Fair play imo.
You could have fit The Oasis of the Seas between Jos Buttler and his crease. Buttler was taking the piss with how much he was backing up.

If a non-striker can get away with being that far out of their crease they might as well just stand halfway down the pitch.
It's a different scenario then usual run outs like this where the batsman doesn't even look at the bowler and are already out of their crease trying to get a head start.

Buttler is behind the crease looking at Ashwin. Once he see him enter his delivery stride he moves out of his crease getting ready to run if there is an opportunity. Then Ashwin pulls out of his delivery stride.

I've got no issue with bowlers doing it to batsmen who are hurtling half way down the pitch without looking at the bowler.

Bazal

Post Whore
Fair play imo.

This is just totally incorrect

Buttler had been backing up cheekily at times, but on the delivery he was dismissed he was inch perfect. Ashwin stopped in his delivery stride, waited for him to leave his crease, and then took the bails. Blatantly against the rules which state that the batsman cannot be out by mankad if he could reasonably expect the bowler to have released the ball, or words to that effect

He waited until Ashwin was in his action to leave the crease, which is 100% allowed

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't really call that an action, he never tried to bowl the ball at all and that's where I think the umps got it wrong, you have to complete your bowling action, or at least you used to have to unless they have changed the rules

Bazal

Post Whore
I wouldn't really call that an action, he never tried to bowl the ball at all and that's where I think the umps got it wrong, you have to complete your bowling action, or at least you used to have to unless they have changed the rules

It's the opposite. Its basically you must mankad the batsman before you enter your delivery stride.

That's not the wording, but it's the basic practical application of it

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It's the opposite. Its basically you must mankad the batsman before you enter your delivery stride.

That's not the wording, but it's the basic practical application of it

that makes no sense if its true, stupid rule and would encourage mankads

Bazal

Post Whore
that makes no sense if its true, stupid rule and would encourage mankads

Huh?

It makes the most sense, I would have thought?

If the idea is to stop batsmen taking liberties with backing up then it makes way more sense than allowing them to be mankaded when they are legitimately doing so

TheParraboy

Staff member
This is just totally incorrect

Buttler had been backing up cheekily at times, but on the delivery he was dismissed he was inch perfect. Ashwin stopped in his delivery stride, waited for him to leave his crease, and then took the bails. Blatantly against the rules which state that the batsman cannot be out by mankad if he could reasonably expect the bowler to have released the ball, or words to that effect

He waited until Ashwin was in his action to leave the crease, which is 100% allowed

Agree with what Baz has said here

Most are bagging the crap out of Ashwin, including Shane Warne who was quite brutal and didnt mince his words, which in a way is quite odd as its not the norm bagging anything against India or Indian player

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Huh?

It makes the most sense, I would have thought?

If the idea is to stop batsmen taking liberties with backing up then it makes way more sense than allowing them to be mankaded when they are legitimately doing so

But the problem here was that Ashwin stood at the crease, no bowling action or even an attempt to bowl the ball, then waited for Butler to walk out of his crease then took the bails off

Butler never took liberties similar to which you refer, he was looking at the batsman then assumed the ball had been bowled (which he probabaly shouldn't have done)

The fact that he never tried to even bowl the ball for mine is a dead ball and not in play, no bowl.

He's been slated world wide by ex players and I tend to agree with them, its just not cricket.

Bazal

Post Whore
But the problem here was that Ashwin stood at the crease, no bowling action or even an attempt to bowl the ball, then waited for Butler to walk out of his crease then took the bails off

Butler never took liberties similar to which you refer, he was looking at the batsman then assumed the ball had been bowled (which he probabaly shouldn't have done)

The fact that he never tried to even bowl the ball for mine is a dead ball and not in play, no bowl.

He's been slated world wide by ex players and I tend to agree with them, its just not cricket.

Mate we're essentially saying the same thing...I'm just adding that the rule is actually against Ashwin here.

The rule states that it must be completed BEFORE the bowler enters his "bowling stride", which Ashwin did. That's to stop blokes taking off way too early, not to stop blokes leaving when the bowler hits the crease.

We've both played plenty of cricket, I personally normally either listen for the delivery stride or watch out of the corner of my eye before I leave the crease. Buttler could have reasonably expected Ashwin to be releasing the ball, so it shouldn't have been out under the rule

The MCC Rule...what we used for NSWCA Umpires' Training.

Pretty clear.

Shouldn't have been given out IMHO.

I have no problem with this form of run out either. People go on about spirit of the game, and giving a warning...but that is codswallop.

As a coach, I teach my kids the rules as they currently stand with the MCC.

As an umpire, I give the f**ker out if it's done right.

Meth

Staff member
Umpire should not have given it out.

Beyond the laws of the game, it's just shit. I know that 'the spirit of the game' is often hard to pin down, but not on this occasion.

Ashwin/his team needed a wicket and they couldn't get one with the ball, so they resorted to the mankad.

Yuck

Timbo

Staff member
I have zero issue with the mankad. I think it's just one of those things we choose to care about because once upon a time someone said that it was against the spirit of the game and we've all gone along with it.

You want to try and steal some space, go for it, but be aware this can happen. When I played I never left my ground until I saw the ball was out of the bowlers hand for this reason.

JJ

Immortal
Baz doesn't like it

Wonder what he would think about a keeper running out a batsman who leaves his crease to congratulate a century maker...

There are plenty of rules within the rule book that can be utilised to the advantage of a cricket team.

Problem is, no one reads the rule book and rely on the old "my dad taught me cricket, and his dad taught him cricket and his dad taught him...".

I love blokes who bluff and bluster: "I've played cricket for forty years and..."

But have you actually ever sat down and read the rule book? And most have not.

Intimidatory bowling had Aussies howling in the 1930s. I wonder what the 1930s mob would think of Aussie fast bowlers intimidation over the past 40 years. Johnson Ashes 2013/14 would shock the shit out of the masses I would suggest.

Anyway.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You want to try and steal some space, go for it

that's not what happened in this case, he thought the ball had been released

I know we are going around in circles here but this particular incident is just not that simple, he wasn't trying to steal any meterage, Ashwin actually waited for Butler to walk out of his crease in what I would refer to as an unreasonable amount of time, then took the bails off

Latest posts