What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Timbo

Staff member
that's not what happened in this case, he thought the ball had been released

I know we are going around in circles here but this particular incident is just not that simple, he wasn't trying to steal any meterage, Ashwin actually waited for Butler to walk out of his crease in what I would refer to as an unreasonable amount of time, then took the bails off

Then Butler should’ve had the presence of mind to stay in his ground.

I’m probably the wrong one to debate this, as I’m one of the few cricket fans that has almost no problem with mankading under any circumstances. I consider it the same as trying to steal a base in baseball.

I’m probably the wrong one to debate this, as I’m one of the few cricket fans that has almost no problem with mankading under any circumstances. I consider it the same as trying to steal a base in baseball.

Exactly my sentiment.

TheParraboy

Staff member
That bitch that is cancer

May he RIP

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26369504/former-australia-spinner-bruce-yardley-dies-aged-71

Bruce Yardley, the former Australian spin bowler, coach and commentator, has died in far north Western Australia after a prolonged fight with cancer at the age of 71.

Starting his cricketing life as one of many swing and seam bowlers in WA, Yardley found his niche after converting to off-breaks spun idiosyncratically from his right middle and ring fingers, first earning Test selection in the summer of 1977-78 during the World Series Cricket split that spirited away a host of Australian players to Kerry Packer's breakaway competition.

Not immediately successful for Australia, Yardley gradually improved as a bowler generating turn and bounce from a long, angled run-up and high action, while also smiting the intimidating West Indian attack for a memorable, 29-ball half century in a Test at Barbados in 1978 - a tour on which he was also called, once, for throwing in the tour match against Jamaica.

The following season he turned out for Graeme Yallop's "lambs to the slaughter" against England, and notably took the old ball for the start of the second innings of the final Test of the series at the SCG, as Yallop stretched the game's laws by opting not to take a new ball, much to the indignation of his opposite number, Mike Brearley.

Yardley returned to state ranks when Packer and the Australian Cricket Board reached a compromise ahead of the 1979-80 season, having toured India ahead of the home summer.

A season later, however, Yardley returned as the nation's No. 1 spinner, and enjoyed three summers in the national spotlight from 1980 to 1983.

The most striking of these was 1981-82, when he plucked no fewer than 38 wickets in six home Tests against Pakistan and the West Indies, winning a cult following for the quality of his bowling and the infectiousness nature of his celebrations, his fielding at gully and his pesky lower order batting. These feats earned him the crown of International Cricketer of the Year, and he also winkled out 13 New Zealand wickets in three Tests across the Tasman.

Yardley was to fall out of favour with the national selectors in 1983 despite taking seven wickets against Sri Lanka in his final Test, and retired from the game in 1985, though he returned to represent Western Australia in 1989-90.

Following the end of his playing days, Yardley coached both close to home for Midland Guildford in Perth club cricket, and further afield as the national team coach of Sri Lanka from 1996 to 1998, where he was a noted advocate for Muttiah Muralitharan and a defender of his bowling action in contrast to many of his countrymen.

He also coached and commentated internationally, before battling cancer back home in Western Australia, where he died at Kununurra District Hospital.

Mr Spock!

Referee

I agree.

Why does the batsman at the bowlers end get a warning?

He doesn't when he's facing.

Don't take off too early you cheeky bugger.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Shit go from Ashwin, Buttler was still in his crease when Ashwin pulled out of bowling.
Then waited for him to leave before knocking the bails off.

Totally agree.

He did this previous in an ODI against Sri Lanka but that was different. He attempted to bowl and then at the last second ran out the batsman at the non strikers end who was out of his crease.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
OK, this is getting weird now

Can you review a decision a week after the game ?

MCC overturns Mankad decision on review
Cricket's lawmakers have changed their tune on the controversial run out of England's Jos Buttler in the IPL

Cricket Network

28 March 2019, 11:25 AM AEST

The Marylebone Cricket Club – author and upholder of cricket's on-field laws – has overturned its own interpretation of this week's IPL 'Mankad' controversy and declared it contrary to the game's spirit.

In the immediate aftermath of India spinner Ravi Ashwin's opportunistic run-out of England international Jos Buttler, the MCC equivocated on the mode and the motive of the incident before accepting Ashwin's view that it legitimately represented ethical behaviour.

However, after closer examination of footage from the match between Ashwin's Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals (for whom Buttler plays), the game's law-makers have now pronounced the action as "unfair" and contrary to the Spirit of Cricket.

"Having extensively reviewed the incident again and after further reflection we don’t think it was within the spirit of the game," MCC laws manager Fraser Stewart told the UK's 'The Telegraph' newspaper.

"We believe the pause was too long between the time Ashwin reached the crease and the moment it was reasonable to expect the ball would be delivered.

"When Buttler could have reasonably expected the ball to be delivered, he was in his ground.

"It is also unfair, and against the Spirit of Cricket, for non-strikers to leave their ground too early.

"All these debates wouldn’t be necessary if non‑strikers remained in their ground until the ball is on its way down the pitch."

The public backflip by the London-based custodian of cricket's laws - to which the MCC retains sole right of addition and revision, albeit in consultation with the International Cricket Council - is likely to further inflame debate over the controversial practice.

This week's incident sparked a blaze of social media commentary, with current and former players either arguing in defence of Ashwin's decision (citing its clear vindication within the game's law book) or howling that it breached the notion of fair play.

Ex-Australia leg spinner Shane Warne, now serving as an ambassador to the Rajasthan Royals, described Ashwin's move as a "disgraceful and low act".

Others, such as Warne's former Victoria and Australia teammate Dean Jones, noted that Ashwin's actions were within the game's laws but added he would not have taken the same action without issuing a prior warning to the batter.

The act of a bowler giving the impression they are about to deliver the ball but, instead, effecting the run-out of a batter who has left the crease at the non-striker's end has been a source of ethical conjecture since it was first completed in a Test by India's Vinoo Mankad against Australia in 1947.

In their earlier pronouncement on the Ashwin-Buttler incident, the MCC defended the need for the law as it stands in order to dissuade non-strikers from leaving their ground too early.

"To clarify, it has never been in the laws that a warning should be given to the non-striker and nor is it against the spirit of cricket to run out a non-striker who is seeking to gain an advantage by leaving his/her ground early," the MCC said in its earlier statement.

"Some feel that Ashwin delayed his action to allow Buttler the chance to leave his ground and that Buttler was in his ground when he expected the ball to be released.

"If it was a deliberate delay, that would be unfair and against the spirit of cricket. Ashwin claims this not to be the case."

Ashwin, who was involved in a similar controversy during an ODI against Sri Lanka at the Gabba in 2012 whereby the appeal for dismissal was ultimately withdrawn by India captain Virender Sehwag, rejected claims his most recent 'Mankad' was a premeditated ploy.

“It was pretty instinctive," Ashwin told reporters after the match in Jaipur.

"I actually didn’t even load (in preparation to deliver the ball).

"He (Buttler) left the crease, that’s it.

"That’s always been my take on it because that’s my half of the crease."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/mcc...mLyOkCoR9VzUtGkJTjqqzMT2pxFNwGeF_Q1Z-56gQ2v7w

Bazal

Post Whore
Well they haven't overturned the call, they've overturned their own piss-weak nothing "statement" on the matter

Timbo

Staff member
If Warne was a consultant for the other team I'm willing to bet every dollar I own he wouldn't be calling it a 'disgraceful and low act'.

Watch the bowler as he walks in and keep your bat grounded until the ball leaves his hand. If he stops and tries to mankad you and your bat is in, well he'd look quite the silly sausage wouldn't he?

jargan83

Coach
Jist read an article in the print version of the West Australian stating that the players association/union has blocked the possibility of more imports playing in the BBL.

I’m sure it’s online somewhere.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm not sure where I stand on this one.

More imports means the chance of Clive Rose getting another contract is reduced which is a bad thing.

On the other hand it also means we might see more imports of Anton Devcich's quality which is a good thing.

Bazal

Post Whore
More imports is irrelevant unless they up the money to compete with the Bangladesh PL.

And how pathetic is it that we're saying that in Australia??

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The quality of imports is also never going to be great because the comp isn't played in a window and a lot of other countries are playing cricket at the same time.

I'm not sure where I stand on this one.

More imports means the chance of Clive Rose getting another contract is reduced which is a bad thing.

On the other hand it also means we might see more imports of Anton Devcich's quality which is a good thing.

Personally I don’t see why there should be a 2 import player limit, nor why it should remain.

Credit to the players who got a run last year - and I do appreciate giving local players the opportunity to earn a good quid. But the BBL entertainment factor has dropped immeasurably - and unless we can attract world-class players again then i fear it will continue slide and stay a a second rate tournament as compared with others...

And the presence of more international stars can only benefit the local up and comers in my mind. Imparting knowledge and mentorship to Australians in a form of the game that Australia are arguably the weakest of all 3 forms..

They are only asking for and extra player per club - Ie an extra 8 in total.. I personally think it should be 4 internationals per team...

I see far more benefits to outweigh the negatives.. although others in more informed positions in Australian Cricket see otherwise for whatever reason..

Bazal

Post Whore
The quality of imports is also never going to be great because the comp isn't played in a window and a lot of other countries are playing cricket at the same time.

Yeah it's never going to be the IPL.

But there are plenty of West Indian, Pakistani, English players for EG who would be way better than Harry Potter and CliveGeorge Rose. Just gotta make it the most attractive option.

Even players in NZ and SA who aren't in the international side.

Last year the CPL was better than the BBL ffs. That's just embarrassing

jargan83

Coach
Optus Stadium will host Perth’s first day-night Test match when Australia takes on New Zealand under lights in December.

The Weekend West can reveal that despite previous misgivings of Cricket Australia chiefs because of time zone issues, the historic pink-ball showpiece will be announced this month.

The three-hour time difference with the key Sydney and Melbourne television markets means play could begin in Perth as early as 1pm, with stumps about 8pm local time or 11pm in the east

The surprise development is understood to have the approval of broadcasters Channel 7 and Fox Sports, encouraged by strong late-night TV ratings for Big Bash League games in WA this summer.

The Perth Test will be the first of a three-match series against the Kiwis.

Pakistan are due to tour in November for two Tests. Both series will be part of the new ICC World Test Championship.

Pakistan are also likely to feature at Optus Stadium in a Twenty20 international against Australia in November, less than a year out from the T20 World Cup.

WA Cricket Association chief executive Christina Matthews said yesterday the WACA was yet to receive confirmation from CA that their bid had been successful, but she predicted a pink-ball Test against New Zealand would attract a crowd of 100,000 across the first four days.

The first Optus Stadium Test match between Australia and India in December attracted 81,104 fans across five days.

Matthews believed the Burswood venue could prove Australia’s most spectacular setting for day-night Test cricket.

“To have the first day-night Test in Perth would be a significant historical achievement. Particularly because when they first started talking about day-nighters, Perth was dismissed as never being able to have one because of our time zone,” she said.

“To start a new era of Test cricket would be fantastic. The technology at Optus Stadium allows for a really good night time experience. So there’s a whole lot of entertainment elements that can go along with a day-night Test that you can’t do otherwise.

“I know it’s kind of the antithesis of Test cricket that you bring bells and whistles in, but the stadium gives us an opportunity to do slightly different things.”

A CA spokesman would not discuss the fixtures.

“The details of the 2019-20 schedule, including timings of matches, are still being finalised. We hope to be able to share the full international schedule within the next month,” he said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/cricke...81159827z?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Timbo

Staff member
On one hand, I don't hate this because it's another test match - after Boxing Day and New Years when the office shuts down - that I'll basically be able to watch in full.

On the other hand, it's a test match I won't be able to listen to on the wireless whilst I go blind staring at spreasheets all day. So it's a bit of a Sophie's Choice.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Is 'Trade offs' Hindi for 'bend over and take it up the clacker?'

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...in-australia-next-summer-20190412-p51dgw.html

India have flexed their financial and political muscle, forcing Cricket Australia to reshape its 2019-20 home fixture, which will now, incredibly, not feature a one-day international for the first time in more than 40 years.

Under the new Future Tours Program, Australia are scheduled to complete a three-match one-day international tour of India in late January - already a rare occurrence for an Australian side in the peak of summer.

CA had sought to shift the series to later in the year but the Board of Control for Cricket in India has refused this request, and has insisted it begin several days earlier.

This has meant CA has had to drop a three-match one-day series against New Zealand, slated to begin days after the New Year's Test against the Black Caps in Sydney concludes.

It's understood New Zealand Cricket has agreed to the series being postponed, although it's another blow in the chequered history of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy.

The decision also means there won't be any ODIs in Australia next summer, for the three matches against the Black Caps were the only series scheduled. One-day internationals have been a staple of Australian home summers since the World Series Cricket revolution of 1977 and remain a highly-coveted television product despite attendances slipping.

Pakistan will also tour next summer but, as is stands, for only two Tests and three Twenty20 internationals while Sri Lanka will open the season with three T20 internationals.

"We have been working hard to rejig the schedule to fit a change in dates for the two ODI series, at home with New Zealand and away with India, on the back end of the Sydney Test but there are necessary trade-offs," a CA spokesperson said.

As a sport, we are fortunate that we have three formats, a compelling international and domestic offering for both men and women. Complexities are bound to and often arise.

"What we are working through is a solution that sees us honouring our commitments to overseas boards, being flexible to their changing needs, balanced with the need to schedule a summer of cricket that works for the fans. We are confident we will find a way to deliver, with some trade-offs."

Last edited:
Is 'Trade offs' Hindi for 'bend over and take it up the clacker?'

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...in-australia-next-summer-20190412-p51dgw.html

India have flexed their financial and political muscle, forcing Cricket Australia to reshape its 2019-20 home fixture, which will now, incredibly, not feature a one-day international for the first time in more than 40 years.

Under the new Future Tours Program, Australia are scheduled to complete a three-match one-day international tour of India in late January - already a rare occurrence for an Australian side in the peak of summer.

CA had sought to shift the series to later in the year but the Board of Control for Cricket in India has refused this request, and has insisted it begin several days earlier.

This has meant CA has had to drop a three-match one-day series against New Zealand, slated to begin days after the New Year's Test against the Black Caps in Sydney concludes.

It's understood New Zealand Cricket has agreed to the series being postponed, although it's another blow in the chequered history of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy.

The decision also means there won't be any ODIs in Australia next summer, for the three matches against the Black Caps were the only series scheduled. One-day internationals have been a staple of Australian home summers since the World Series Cricket revolution of 1977 and remain a highly-coveted television product despite attendances slipping.

Pakistan will also tour next summer but, as is stands, for only two Tests and three Twenty20 internationals while Sri Lanka will open the season with three T20 internationals.

"We have been working hard to rejig the schedule to fit a change in dates for the two ODI series, at home with New Zealand and away with India, on the back end of the Sydney Test but there are necessary trade-offs," a CA spokesperson said.

As a sport, we are fortunate that we have three formats, a compelling international and domestic offering for both men and women. Complexities are bound to and often arise.

"What we are working through is a solution that sees us honouring our commitments to overseas boards, being flexible to their changing needs, balanced with the need to schedule a summer of cricket that works for the fans. We are confident we will find a way to deliver, with some trade-offs."

Wow. I honestly have gotten back into one dayers in the last few years - before which I didnt watch them much at all for a long time.

I've not heard of "Future Tours" before...

Latest posts