What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crime Command Takes Over NRL Betting Inquiry

Danish

Referee
Horse racing is a sport.

Heard of the term "Sport of Kings"?????
Just becuase you can't get on a horse at Randwick and ride it doesn't mean its not a sport:roll:
Yachting is a sport. I don't own a yacht and don't participate but its still a sport.

Horse racing is as much a sport as the crab and/or frog races up the local pub.

Take away the multi-billion dollar gambling portion of it and you'd have more people riding the horses than watching them.

How much debt must Ayoub be carrying to pull a stunt like this?

How dumb are these blokes? Did they think no one would notice?

How many times has this happened before?? It seems to business as usual for them.

If you ask Sam Ayoub, he was just having a Sunday punt. The fact that every person involved in placing large bets on this is either connected to him or Ryan Tandy is just the great mystery that has ever faced the human race.

The people that win the most out of this are the lawyers who get to milk money of out these blokes presenting their clients defenses that would make fantasy novel writes jealous.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
You missed his point. He was saying that Horse racing exists for gambling purposes and if you took that away then then it wouldn't even exist.

there are countries OS that have horse racing and gambling is illegal yet they get massive crowds.
Whats the motivation there??

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Horse racing is as much a sport as the crab and/or frog races up the local pub.

Take away the multi-billion dollar gambling portion of it and you'd have more people riding the horses than watching them.

You are obviously not a horse racing fan. Thats fine. Each to their own.
I can sit and watch hours of horse racing without having a bet on it.
I can sit and watch hours of horse racing stories on trainers, jockeys and horses without having a bet.
I enjoy the theatre of it and the competition. Watching a great race between champion horses is great viewing whether I have a brass razoo on it or not.
I guess you consider equestrian events or dressage to be not sport as well?
Yeah I love a bet, but I apprecite the SPORT for what it is as well.
Horses are intelligent animals with a personality of their own. Then there are the trainers etc. Not sure what you get up to with crabs or frogs but they seem pretty devoid of any personality to me.
Whether you care to like it or not, horse racing is a sport. Its just one that you choose not to follow or have a different view on. DOn't sit on your soap box and tell me that its not a sport. It is.

Cletus

First Grade
there are countries OS that have horse racing and gambling is illegal yet they get massive crowds.

Dick measuring contests for insanely wealthy sheiks. In other countries its also something people bet on, no one would bother about it if you couldn't.

Slammin_Saint89

Juniors

But they dont have at least 35 race meetings a week like here in australia. In small doses its a sport and will be attractive. Race meetings all during weekdays isnt anything more than scamming the gamblers (besides melb cup- which is also a race to scam the rest of australia lol).

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...about-matchfixing-scandal-20111121-1nq36.html

Footballer says he lied to police about match-fixing scandal
Greg Prichard
November 21, 2011 - 12:17PM

Key witness Brad Murray has dropped a bombshell in the NRL betting case, saying he had originally lied in his evidence because he felt under pressure from the club he played for, Parramatta, to do so.

Murray was called by police to give evidence at Downing Centre local court today in the case involving John Elias, who is charged with attempting to obtain financial advantage by deception.

Last month, when magistrate Janet Walhquist handed down her judgement in the Ryan Tandy case, she said, in part: ‘‘There is however evidence as to a source of the reason for the unusual betting. There is evidence that Mr Sam Ayoub told both Mr [Brad] Murray and Mr [Joel] Solinas [both of whom placed bets] that the first team to score in the match would be the Cowboys in a penalty goal and that it had been fixed.’’

But when Murray appeared his story had changed, and he said parts of his original statement to police were ‘‘untrue’’.

Murray said player agent Ayoub, who has also been charged with trying to obtain financial advantage by deception and who is the manager of both Murray and ex-Canterbury player Tandy, had ‘‘never told me’’ the game in question had been ‘‘set up’’.

The game, between North Queensland and Canterbury at Townsville in August of last year, was the subject of a highly unusual plunge on the first scoring play option, which is normally regarded as a novelty bet.

The vast majority of money went on the Cowboys to kick a penalty goal to open the scoring.

‘‘The truth is Sam asked me to place bets, and left pieces of paper for me to put bets on,’’ Murray said.

Under cross-examination from police prosecutor Mark Watson, it was put to Murray that he had ‘‘told police it (the game) had been set up’’, to which Murray replied: ‘‘I was under immense pressure from my former football club (Murray has since left Parramatta) that this was the only way I could save my football career.’’

Asked by Watson why he had split the bets up and put them on at three different TAB locations, Murray replied: ‘‘I didn’t feel comfortable placing so much money at one place. I have never placed that sort of money before in one place.’’

Murray said the total amount of money he was asked to put on in bets for Ayoub was ‘‘aroundabout $700’’.

Watson questioned Murray about his having placed a bet for himself as well, on the day of the game.

Murray said: ‘‘I got asked to place three different bets (for Ayoub), and I thought ’well, I might place a bet for myself. (It was) just like getting a tip.’’

Murray said he put a $200 bet on for himself.

Recalled to give evidence in the wake of Murray having given evidence, Matthew Gibson, a detective who was in charge of the police investigation into the suspicious betting on the match, said this was ‘‘the first time’’ he had heard Murray had changed his evidence.

TAB Sportsbet media manager Glenn Munsie will be the next witness called to give evidence today.

Packy

Bench
Filthy Parramatta. Making poor young fellow lie!

Grow up bloke. You make your own choices in life.

boxhead

First Grade
So he's admitted to lying, and is now trying to implicate his former club by saying they forced him to do it to "protect his NRL career" even though we terminated his contract not that long after it came out?
:lol:
The crap that comes out of the papers these days.....
If it is true, then that might be the real reason Duncan protested Ossie's leadership.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
But then who do you believe? One guy who was part of a match fixing scandal or one guy who was rorting money out of his own club?

Eels Dude

Coach
So he's admitted to lying, and is now trying to implicate his former club by saying they forced him to do it to "protect his NRL career" even though we terminated his contract not that long after it came out?
:lol:
The crap that comes out of the papers these days.....
If it is true, then that might be the real reason Duncan protested Ossie's leadership.

He never said that. His statement could be interpreted in a number of different ways.

Noa

First Grade
Interesting snippet in todays rag Murrihay was told to only investigate "players, coaches and staff" in regards to the Storm wooden spoon plunge.

Can I get a Mike Moore "Hmmmmmmm"

El Diablo

Post Whore
image_normal.jpg

amydale_tele Amy Dale

John Elias has just had charge relating to NRL match fixing scandal dismissed

image_normal.jpg

josh_massoud Josh Massoud

John Elias NOT GUILTY #NRL