What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crime Command Takes Over NRL Betting Inquiry

Bucket

Bench
Minor fixing in the sense that it won't affect the outcome of the match, and tonearm, explain to me how it is not necessary when we have clubs who failed to plan for the inevitable future by pokie-proofing their clubs and now cannot support the affiliated sporting club....the clubs, and rightly so, are taking whatever revenue stream they can get through sponsorships and partnerships, would you rather no roosters at all or a roosters team which is sponsored by centrebet? It is annoying mind due as gambling is a scourge on society, but it's an industry that will always make money....

Danish

Referee
People used to think we were reliant on tobacco money as well back before they banned them from advertising their products.

Gambling agencies should be banned from advertising fullstop. I don't care if people want to have a bet but I see no reason why they should be allowed to run ads 24 hours a day across TV, radio and print.

If I have to see Tom Waterhouse talking about how he was born to gamble one more time I think I'll f**king hurl.

adamkungl

Immortal
The in game odds and stuff on 9 are f**king annoying...other than that I'm ok with it. Whether centrebet sponsors Penriff or not, Tandy would have done the same thing.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Get rid of legal betting on league and it goes underground and league doesn't get a penny.

Just get rid of Rabs and co telling us every thirty seconds about odds and centrebet. People who want to bet on league don't need to be told this stuff, they know about it already.

I don't even mind the advertising or sponsorship, it's not being forced down your throat. But the in-game stuff is a stain on the game. It's absolutely disgraceful.

This I completely agree even as an avid punter, once I tune into a game hearing live odds and how so and so was paying x for first try scorer its just annoying.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
hahaha you will never get rid of betting in sport.
F*ck me, has horse racing been abolished??? Race fixing has been going on since JC was in nappies.
It is not going anywhere. If some player is stupid enough to try it on they'll go to the big house like old mate Tandy. I would have thought that would provide a big enough incentive for players not to try it too often?
I love a punt on the league (or the horses). Same old story, if you don't like it, don't participate in it.
I can't cop this "it will ruin the integrity of the game" stuff. Unfortunately underhanded crap goes on in most (if not all) big sports. I recall an AFL drama this season with sports betting. What about the Colombian soccer player shot dead when he cocked up in a World Cup game years ago? We are not an island when it comes to having issues with gambling etc in our game. Its the way of the world these days.
Now, I'm off to do the form for the Caulfield Guineas meet tomorrow....

Danish

Referee
Horse racing is not a sport. It exists solely for people to gamble on. Take the gambling option away and it would disappear overnight.

League and other real sports exist independently of gambling. They do not rely on it to get people through the gates and watching, it simply has attached itself to these sports like the leech that it is.

Allow people to bet on them, sure, but cut all ties with them in terms of sponsoring the league and teams.

Then just keep pushing the government to force betting agencies to give a bigger and bigger slice of the profits from bets taken on our sport to the NRL. That way we can get the same money out of them without having their ridiculous adverts jammed down out throats.

Moffo

Referee
hahaha you will never get rid of betting in sport.
F*ck me, has horse racing been abolished??? Race fixing has been going on since JC was in nappies.
It is not going anywhere. If some player is stupid enough to try it on they'll go to the big house like old mate Tandy. I would have thought that would provide a big enough incentive for players not to try it too often?
I love a punt on the league (or the horses). Same old story, if you don't like it, don't participate in it.
I can't cop this "it will ruin the integrity of the game" stuff. Unfortunately underhanded crap goes on in most (if not all) big sports. I recall an AFL drama this season with sports betting. What about the Colombian soccer player shot dead when he cocked up in a World Cup game years ago? We are not an island when it comes to having issues with gambling etc in our game. Its the way of the world these days.
Now, I'm off to do the form for the Caulfield Guineas meet tomorrow....

enjoy throwing your money at things that are pre-determined?

do you?

i've had a punt or two in my time...but to throw money at something that is rigged? turns me off it in a big way

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Just replace Munsie with a half naked girl. Problem solved.

a fully naked girl would eb better. but only if she's hot

Just get rid of Rabs and co telling us every thirty seconds about odds and centrebet. People who want to bet on league don't need to be told this stuff, they know about it already.

THIS. I hate hearing how this team is into $1.05, or how much some dumb merkin with more money than brains has put on a game. I reckon if you analysed the amount of time spent talking about odds it would be fairly significant

as an aside, talking to someone involved in a local comp for many many eyars, he said there's a lot of betting on games taking place there as well

Pierced Soul

First Grade
enjoy throwing your money at things that are pre-determined?

ryan tandy did

no one wants tyo see shit pre-determined or rigged, but you only have to look at john elias to see that even before the influx of gambling partnerships in the nrl to see there's always a possibility in sport

redvscotty

First Grade
People used to think we were reliant on tobacco money as well back before they banned them from advertising their products.

Gambling agencies should be banned from advertising fullstop. I don't care if people want to have a bet but I see no reason why they should be allowed to run ads 24 hours a day across TV, radio and print.

If I have to see Tom Waterhouse talking about how he was born to gamble one more time I think I'll f**king hurl.

Tom Waterhouse is a gay.

a fully naked girl would eb better. but only if she's hot

THIS. I hate hearing how this team is into $1.05, or how much some dumb merkin with more money than brains has put on a game. I reckon if you analysed the amount of time spent talking about odds it would be fairly significant

as an aside, talking to someone involved in a local comp for many many eyars, he said there's a lot of betting on games taking place there as well

People really dont get how those dumb merkins throwing on a $100k would atleast have a $10,000,000 bank roll in the first place. They are pro's who do this shit for a living and if they are doing it at that level are obviously doing quite well!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I would fully support the reforms if they took a wider shot at all types of gambling.

It is foolish and short sighted to only target one element of gambling, all areas are problematic!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
People really dont get how those dumb merkins throwing on a $100k would atleast have a $10,000,000 bank roll in the first place. They are pro's who do this shit for a living and if they are doing it at that level are obviously doing quite well!

that they might be but i dont want to hear about it every time there's a game on.

i dont want to hear how much a player is "paying" for being first try scorer or the odds on a 40/20 being kicked during the match. commentate the f**king match. if people wnat to know the odds they know what websites to got to - the ads are all over the place

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Horse racing is not a sport. It exists solely for people to gamble on. Take the gambling option away and it would disappear overnight.

League and other real sports exist independently of gambling. They do not rely on it to get people through the gates and watching, it simply has attached itself to these sports like the leech that it is.

Allow people to bet on them, sure, but cut all ties with them in terms of sponsoring the league and teams.

Then just keep pushing the government to force betting agencies to give a bigger and bigger slice of the profits from bets taken on our sport to the NRL. That way we can get the same money out of them without having their ridiculous adverts jammed down out throats.

Horse racing is a sport.

Heard of the term "Sport of Kings"?????
Just becuase you can't get on a horse at Randwick and ride it doesn't mean its not a sport:roll:
Yachting is a sport. I don't own a yacht and don't participate but its still a sport.

Eels Dude

Coach
I would fully support the reforms if they took a wider shot at all types of gambling.

It is foolish and short sighted to only target one element of gambling, all areas are problematic!

Goverments will never force restrictions on the racing industry simply because it's worth too much to the Australian economy. Bit of a double standard really.

Eels Dude

Coach
Horse racing is a sport.

Heard of the term "Sport of Kings"?????
Just becuase you can't get on a horse at Randwick and ride it doesn't mean its not a sport:roll:
Yachting is a sport. I don't own a yacht and don't participate but its still a sport.

You missed his point. He was saying that Horse racing exists for gambling purposes and if you took that away then then it wouldn't even exist.

Latest posts