What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla and Melbourne NSW Cup alliance

pnub

Juniors
CRONULLA and Melbourne have agreed on a historic NSW Cup joint venture.
Sport Confidential can reveal Melbourne will place their over-age lower graders with the Sharks feeder side in an unprecedented move that brings two rival NRL clubs together at the lower tier.

Desperate to cut costs after the salary cap blow-out, Melbourne decided to scrap their stand-alone NSW Cup team several months ago. The Storm flirted with Newtown and Brisbane Easts before settling with the Sharks, who are also under immense financial strain.

NSWRL boss Geoff Carr last night confirmed the clubs had agreed to merge, with only board approval from the league required to finalise the joint venture.

"Another big factor was the two head coaches - Craig Bellamy and Shane Flanagan," Carr said.

"They've worked together previously at Origin level, so there's a good relationship there."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/sharks-storm-form-alliance/story-e6freye0-1225932587217

This news caught me by surprise and I’m just wondering what the Cronulla fans think of a partnership with the storm in the NSW cup.

broncos2010

Juniors
any melb storm reserves player is better then most sharks first graders , so you guys should be happy to be linked with such a great club.

Hughesy215

Juniors
What does this mean in regards to player contracts and selection from the nsw feeder team into 1st garde can someone let me know cause i've got no idea how this works

fizman

Bench
I think it will be straight in terms of which players are contracted to which club.

You know what will happen and it will be just our farkin luck.

We will win the comp next year and there be another enquiry into Melbourne with cap rorting. We will be tainted and have the farkin trophy taken off us.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
NSW Cup players are under a different tier to NRL salary caps, so storm salary cheating rorts won't affect you.

It will make the NSW Cup side pretty bloody good. I had to go to all Storm home NSW Cup games this year to write match reports for a magazine, and when their backline clicks, they can put on some good tries and pull off some big upsets.

A lot of the Storm NSW Cup players haven't been resigned, so they could actually be picked up by the Sharks and be available to play first grade for Cronulla and not Melbourne.

Players Like Jy Hitchcox (Utility back - plays mostly fullback, wing, and a bit of five-eighth) Billy Rogers (Talented back rower) Willie Isa (Centre, a bit firey), Dane Chisholm (very skilled player in attack, can score tries from anywhere and out of nothing, reminded me at times of Greg Alexander in his prime. Plays at Five-eighth, centre, wing, halfback and fullback), Woolford (Hooker) then there's forwards like Sione Kite, Sinbad Kali, Hep Cahill (I think he's signed with the Storm, not sure), Fred Makimare all promising players.

I can honestly say that this merger favours Cronulla ahell of a lot more than it does Melbourne.

I think it may have been an idea put forward by the Storm to try and keep their hands on these unsigned youngsters.

broncos2010

Juniors
thats what I said heaps of these reserve graders from melb are better then most of the first graders sharks have, so they should be happy.

Stonecutter

First Grade
We'll seeing as we now only have half a squad to fill in NSW cup why don't we go all out, rape and pillage and try to assemble a Toyota cup team that can win?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Pretty Sad when Da Sup is a superior troll....hang your head in shame Bronco2010.....the year the Broncs failed.

Be interested in reefy's thoughts on this, footy ops budget and all that.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
how rude and your a mod.
How stupid, and you're a dumb sh*t who thought constipation was an arrangement of stars.

f**k off you dickhead.

Just because we're mods doesn't mean we have to play nice. You show no respect, you get no respect.

An important lesson there for you.

No go and get your tutor to read this post to you and explain it to you f**khead.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
thats what I said heaps of these reserve graders from melb are better then most of the first graders sharks have, so they should be happy.
How would you know, you don't even watch the game if the Broncos aren't playing.

broncos2010

Juniors
your a idiot , you started the broncos thing , i just came on your forum madunit to talk about how your tigers treated that young raiders guy and you turned it on its head and turned it to a topic about how the broncos went this year...