What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla and Melbourne NSW Cup alliance

franklin2323

Immortal
A lot of the Storm NSW Cup players are unsigned, so they are effectively free agents. If they join the merged NSW Cup, I'm speculating here, but I'm pretty sure they would have to sign Cronulla contracts tying them to the Sharks, not the Storm. So when Origin hits, only the players in the side contracted to the Storm are eligible to play for the storm in NRL.

And from what I gather, there won't be many players (maybe 4-5 that are available, off the top of my head... Rory Kostjasyn, Hep Cahill, Gareth Widdop, Luke Kelly, there may be others.

I have seen their 30 man squad on the website. The left over Sharks and the spare Storm players like Kelly, Moari etc and the rest is Sharks 2nd tier players if needed. That makes sense.

I will be strong then. Windsor better win on Sunday then they prob wont win it next year

Since 73

First Grade
Anyone they drop who is young enuff to play Toyota cup will play for the storm in that grade.

Anybody else dropped who is too old for TC will play for the Sharks NSW team.
No, they won't then be eleigible to play for Sharks in the NRL.

Storm only have the 2 teams this year - NRL and TC.

This has disadvantages in that we are basically keeping their reggies in form and they may keep local guys out of a spot.
It has advantages in that it may strengthen the side and they may figure in the playoffs and receive prize money.

But is it our team?

Do we get the money?

Is it a joint partnership?
What if 70% of the team are our guys?

Last edited:

Since 73

First Grade
broncos2010 copped this...

You are a liar, an ignorant dickhead, a sh*thouse troll, a hypocrite, living in denial moron whose greatest achievement in life was farting without sh*tting himself.

and came back with this...

... if benji ran straight more and not do his flick pass and kicks on 2nd or 3rd tackle tigers would be a better team and not have to wait 4 years to make finals.

Tanked.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
so melbourne will continue to have 1 1/2 times the cap of other clubs..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
regardless if he recieves $1.3 million the next season?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
But is it our team?

Do we get the money?

Is it a joint partnership?
What if 70% of the team are our guys?
As I can only assume.

It is still Cronulla's team

If the team wins prizemoney it will all be Cronulla's

It's a way for the Storm to keep most of their NSW Cup squad close to Melbourne and together so that when opportunities present themselves, they can sign them to NRL Contracts.

I'll try and get some solid info soon, so as to answer all these questions a bit more confidently and accurately.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I began writing for Rugby League Review magazine this year. My boss there recently had an interview with Greg Brentnall who is the Storm development officer I believe, regarding the Storm and Cronulla merger.

Here are the facts:
*The team will still be known as Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
*All home games will be played at the Sharks NSW Cup teams home ground
*Any surplus Storm players from NSW Cup will be sent to the Sharks, however due to the Salary Cap issue, they will not be Melbourne aligned players. They will actually be Cronulla players (I suggested earlier they would be free agents so to speak, but now those players will be contracted to the Sharks only)
*The Storm will not have any part time players outside of their top 25.

So it isn't really a merger, it was a takeover. Storm NSW Cup players had nowhere to play and the Sharks took them all.

Great work by the Sharks and I can tell you in all seriousness, you have picked up some f**king fantastic depth and even some NRL quality players with the right coaching.

The NSW Cup players that the Storm signed will play with their feeder club Easts Tigers in Brisbane.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I began writing for Rugby League Review magazine this year. My boss there recently had an interview with Greg Brentnall who is the Storm development officer I believe, regarding the Storm and Cronulla merger.

Here are the facts:
*Any surplus Storm players from NSW Cup will be sent to the Sharks, however due to the Salary Cap issue, they will not be Melbourne aligned players. They will actually be Cronulla players (I suggested earlier they would be free agents so to speak, but now those players will be contracted to the Sharks only)

So it isn't really a merger, it was a takeover. Storm NSW Cup players had nowhere to play and the Sharks took them all.

Great work by the Sharks and I can tell you in all seriousness, you have picked up some f**king fantastic depth and even some NRL quality players with the right coaching.

The NSW Cup players that the Storm signed will play with their feeder club Easts Tigers in Brisbane.

For example?

Will the Sharks get players of the calibre of Dane Chisolm, Luke Kelly, Mad Pup, Billy Rogers, Gareth Widdop, Sione Kite to name a few.

Most of the others from this year are nuff nuffs.

Sharks might get Vea and Killingbeck back I suppose

Hughesy215

Juniors
This is awesome!
So the storm will have 25 players, 17 playing for them each week the other 8 will play for the QLD cup team, all other storm players who are not eligable for under 20's are now sharks players. If thats true well done cronulla! Thought we were broke? that must have cost a bit of money. Anyone know how we funded this?

Since 73

First Grade

Here are the facts:

Ya just had to go and finish with that, didn't ya?

Just to sink the boot in.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
For example?

Will the Sharks get players of the calibre of Dane Chisolm, Luke Kelly, Mad Pup, Billy Rogers, Gareth Widdop, Sione Kite to name a few.

Most of the others from this year are nuff nuffs.

Sharks might get Vea and Killingbeck back I suppose
Pretty sure Kelly, Widdop, Kite and maybe 1 or 2 others have been signed to the Storm NRL side.

Billy Rogers and the rest are all now Sharks players (Atelea Vea is another)

RUBIKS

Juniors

Here are the facts:

Nice info Mad, thanks.

Kinda makes it odd then that our stand-in CEO is still mentioning how we are looking to sign 4 to 5 second tier players?

Latest posts