What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla Sharks Development Approved!

Frailty

First Grade
http://www.sharks.com.au/news-display/Sharks-300-million-land-development-approved/62728

The Cronulla Sharks were hailing the Planning Assessment Commission (PAC) approval of their $300 million land development application as having the potential to make the club an NRL powerhouse.
In a major boost to the Sharks the development is set to deliver a windfall that ensures the financial health of the club well into the future.
Sharks Chairman Damian Irvine, who with development partners Bluestone Capital Ventures No 1 Pty Ltd has worked tirelessly to finally see the project pass through all the government planning and assessment stages to arrive at this PAC approval, was understandably thrilled with the final result.
“This announcement means so much on so many levels but importantly allows the Sharks to get back to what we do best,” Mr Irvine said. “We will be able to focus on elite sporting and sponsorship programs that could benefit all sporting codes within the Shire.
“The financial security this project provides the club with is something we have been striving to achieve for over four decades. The Cronulla Sharks can finally operate on a platform of diverse and secure income and with a confidence in our future viability that has always been a struggle to obtain in the past,” Mr Irvine added.
Sharks coach Shane Flanagan, who has his team heading into the NRL finals in 2012, couldn’t help but to also be optimistic and enthusiastic about the future prospects from a football and sporting perspective.
“I’ve often said our players don’t go without here at the Sharks but this new development and everything that goes along with it will let us do what we do even better in the future,” Flanagan said. “While the financial benefits will obviously help, it is the potential for us to become the sporting hub of the Sutherland Shire that has me most excited, not only in terms of rugby league but also for the many different sporting groups in the local area.”
Similarly, Sharks and NSW Captain Paul Gallen, a passionate speaker at the PAC forum in support of the project just a few weeks ago, was equally positive about what this announcement and subsequent development will do for the club and also for local area residents and their families.
“As a local resident I see the retail development providing an excellent facility for myself, my wife and kids, but as a loyal one-club player I am excited about what this might mean to not just the current team here at the Sharks but to future generations of footballers and sports people of the Sutherland Shire,” Gallen said.
While the decision may initially be seen as saving the Sharks NRL club from financial difficulties and at the same time ensuring their future viability, the development has the potential to benefit the local region in so many other areas.
From affordable housing, to a new retail precinct, employment opportunities, increased medical facilities, a refurbished Sharkies Leagues Club and increased tourism to the region, the land development is certain to deliver a positive outcome in a whole range of areas aside from guaranteeing the financial sustainability of the NRL team.

Where is kmav?

This secures the Sharks future, and will ensure we are one of the financially stronger publicly-owned clubs!

newman

First Grade
Fantastic news.

You can forget about the Cronulla Sharks folding, relocating or merging. Ever.

The days of Cronulla struggling financially are done. Boom!

Ausguy

Coach
Well done to the clubs management a truly great day for the sharks.

To the detractors on the SSC and those such as KMav we told you all along the development is a good prospect.

Now who replaces cronulla in the "move this team to Adelaide" threads?

RWB

Bench
Good news for Sharkies fan and a big congratulations to the club, must be a big weight of the shoulders of all the fans who've probably feared the worst for some years now.

How much money on a yearly basis will it actually be bringing in... I've heard 1 million, is this close?

Frailty

First Grade
Good news for Sharkies fan and a big congratulations to the club, must be a big weight of the shoulders of all the fans who've probably feared the worst for some years now.

How much money on a yearly basis will it actually be bringing in... I've heard 1 million, is this close?

Our debt it pretty much paid off, the retail section will bring in $1 million annually, but then there is payment from our share of the residential development.

some11

Referee
Kmav shortly after reading the news:

4ghqo9.jpg

jc155776

Coach
Straight out we have our debt of about 12 million paid out. That is before an ounce of soil is even turned.

We will then recieve a share of ongoing revenue from retail leases (I believe the retail will be developed first).

About 600 units will be built. We then recieve a percentage of each unit sale once about 300 are sold I believe.

I may be a little off but that's about the gist of it.

Estimated income of about $1 million a year I think. May be wrong on exact figures. The big thing will be the debt gone AND the revitalization of the precinct. Means more people in the direct area going to the leagues club, games, using facilities etc.

Massive relief RWB. It gives us stability which might help attract better players, more corporate sponsors, fans etc.

jc155776

Coach
Good stuff. Does the redevelopment money go to the stadium itself at all?

During the later stages of the development there are plans to upgrade the stadium.

But that would be a bit away depending on how well everything else moves along.

I'm sure selling units in Sydney won't be an issue however.

Latest posts