What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla Sharks Development Approved!

newman

First Grade
Over 1000 additional cars pouring in and out of the area on a captain cook drive every morning isn't going to cause any headaches for people is it?

Nor is the destruction of a half dozen soccer fields going to have any negative effects on the people who previously played sport there I suppose.

Most of my fellow shire residents I've spoken to aren't fans of the development. the sharks being financially viable is not really high up on care factor compared to adding a buttload of extra traffic trying to get over captain cook bridge each morning or piling onto the already insufficient train services.

Lies and bullshit.

Captain Cook drive is being widened as we speak.

2 RUGBY LEAGUE FIELDS are being used as the site and are being relocated to brand new faciliites. No soccer fields are being touched. So there is no loss of playing fields.

You will get no apology for the creation of 1000 jobs.

And who knows, the surrounding residents might enjoy having a decent supermarket, a medical centre, tonnes of new restaurants and retail just around the corner with ample parking.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Ha ha hater.

Still in the comp. as a stand alone club.

Its a wonderful day

You are still nothing but a bunch of fu@#cken hillbillies. Your club is a stinking pile
of shit, and considering your insular "if you aren't from the shire attitudes", your
club will be a blight on rugby league and continue to have miserable support until
someone has the guts to kill you off.

Dread

Juniors
Nor is the destruction of a half dozen soccer fields going to have any negative effects on the people who previously played sport there I suppose.

The only fields being used by the development are two privately owned rugby league fields that are used only by one local RL club. That club is being relocated to Cronulla High School, who will have their fields upgraded by the property developer. Incorrect.

As to the 1100 jobs created, they'll just be filled by people previously employed elsewhere in the shire

Correct - they developers have stated that they're aiming to re-employ as many people displaced by the Caltex closure as possible. So, a good thing, I think.

Over 1000 additional cars pouring in and out of the area on a captain cook drive every morning isn't going to cause any headaches for people is it?

Probably not - most of the worst traffic hits other intersections unaffected by this development.

newman

First Grade
You are still nothing but a bunch of fu@#cken hillbillies. Your club is a stinking pile
of shit, and considering your insular "if you aren't from the shire attitudes", your
club will be a blight on rugby league and continue to have miserable support until

Un-merged. Stand alone. Never die.

The pride of the shire.

Danish

Referee
Lies and bullshit.

Captain Cook drive is being widened as we speak.

2 RUGBY LEAGUE FIELDS are being used as the site and are being relocated to brand new faciliites. No soccer fields are being touched. So there is no loss of playing fields.

You will get no apology for the creation of 1000 jobs.

And who knows, the surrounding residents might enjoy having a decent supermarket, a medical centre, tonnes of new restaurants and retail just around the corner with ample parking.

Captain Cook drive is being widened, yes, but it still just leads to the same bottle neck on Taren Point rd (unless all these people are going to be miraculously employed locally I suppose).

I thought some of the soccer fields next to the footy fields were being taken up as well, if not then my mistake. Be interested to know where they've found 2 footy fields' worth of vacant land in the shire to build these new facilities on though. Do you know where they are being relocated to?

The local residents already voiced their disapproval of the development, so I think we know where they stand on it.

Fact is the only people I've spoken to that are in favour of the development are sharks fans. Most of us aren't happy at all with the huge amount of development going on in the area. When this development, the new Greenhills development and all the stuff they are planning on building in Kurnell is finished its going to be atrocious getting in and out of that area of the shire.

Thankfully I'm in Caringbah South so am fairly removed from it all, although there are some stupid development proposals in my suburb as well (2 x apartment blocks and shopping complexes trying to be built behind the train station and in the Aldi carpark atm)

gUt

Coach
Hope it works out as well as youse need it to. Strong, viable clubs are what our code needs.

Quigs

Immortal
Never in doubt.

Yeeeharrrrrr.

Everyday the Sharks survive as a single entity in the NRL it makes me even happier.

LONG LIVE THE SHARKS....
development.jpg

newman

First Grade
Captain Cook drive is being widened, yes, but it still just leads to the same bottle neck on Taren Point rd (unless all these people are going to be miraculously employed locally I suppose).

I thought some of the soccer fields next to the footy fields were being taken up as well, if not then my mistake. Be interested to know where they've found 2 footy fields' worth of vacant land in the shire to build these new facilities on though. Do you know where they are being relocated to?

The local residents already voiced their disapproval of the development, so I think we know where they stand on it.

Fact is the only people I've spoken to that are in favour of the development are sharks fans. Most of us aren't happy at all with the huge amount of development going on in the area. When this development, the new Greenhills development and all the stuff they are planning on building in Kurnell is finished its going to be atrocious getting in and out of that area of the shire.

Thankfully I'm in Caringbah South so am fairly removed from it all, although there are some stupid development proposals in my suburb as well (2 x apartment blocks and shopping complexes trying to be built behind the train station and in the Aldi carpark atm)

At the public meeting held by the PAC 90% of the speakers (of which there were many hundreds) were locals. A majority of those (around 60%) were in favour of the development. So youre assertion that the majority of locals were against it is incorrect. This is not from straw polling either. The figures on written and oral submissions are publicly available and they were skewed in favour of the development.

The cronulla Caringbah junior rl club is being relocated, with a brand spanking new clubhouse paid for by this development to Cronulla high.

Yes the area is being developed, but it needs to be. I have send hundreds of times that you can't live in 21km from the city of Sydney and expect to not share the load of the exploding population. If you want a quiet, peaceful fishing village it's time to move to gerroa. Because anywhere that is commutable to the industrial hub is going to have to grow to accommodate the residential needs of the population.

Danish

Referee
At the public meeting held by the PAC 90% of the speakers (of which there were many hundreds) were locals. A majority of those (around 60%) were in favour of the development. So youre assertion that the majority of locals were against it is incorrect. This is not from straw polling either. The figures on written and oral submissions are publicly available and they were skewed in favour of the development.

The cronulla Caringbah junior rl club is being relocated, with a brand spanking new clubhouse paid for by this development to Cronulla high.

Yes the area is being developed, but it needs to be. I have send hundreds of times that you can't live in 21km from the city of Sydney and expect to not share the load of the exploding population. If you want a quiet, peaceful fishing village it's time to move to gerroa. Because anywhere that is commutable to the industrial hub is going to have to grow to accommodate the residential needs of the population.

Good to hear about the relocation to the Caringbah high grounds then. I run past that ground every weekend and it doesn't get much use so that should be a good fit.

Look I am happy for the Sharks and for the league to have another strong club in the comp, I'm just voicing the opinion that is held by plenty of the locals like myself about all the development being approved in the shire right now. Its not something against the club, as being a local they are somewhat my 2nd team (although Phil Rothfield has to die before I'll barrack for the sharks in a grand final :sarcasm:). Its something against the general expansion of the area in ways which plenty don't think its capable of.

If they actually execute their plans and get the site running without FUBAR'ing the area then fine. I just find it highly dubious when the developers claim the impact on local transport and congestion will be negligible, as really they are going to be increasing traffic through the area in a huge way, with the only provisioning being an extra lane on captain cook drive, MORE traffic lights, and a few bus services to the station.

Feej

First Grade
Nothing can kill the cancer that is Cronulla. Fantastic news for the future of rugby league.

Not the result you were hoping for? Poor diddums....

Well done Sharks, as well as you guys, this is great news for Rugby League in general, the more teams that are strong financially as well as on the field is good for the Comp

some11

Referee

[youtube]IKRlvpC7d6c[/youtube]

carcharias

Immortal
This is just the start.

A lifetime of watching my team be a poifteenth away from folding is over.

Latest posts