What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross from Batemans Bay to Origin Dream

Pumba

First Grade
Cross from Batemans Bay to Origin Dream
By Andrew Bryan

As a kid from Batemans Bay, Ben Cross always dreamed of playing in Rugby League’s theatre of dreams.

The NSW Wizard Blues prop has impressed since his move to the Knights in 2008 and has earned his maiden Blues jersey ahead of Australian Test prop Brent Kite.

“I’m absolutely over the moon,” Cross said.

“I’ve been waiting forever to pull this jersey on, ever since I started playing back in Batemans Bay, to pull it on is unreal.”

Cross was inspired as a youngster by hard-hitting NSW legends Steve Roach and Paul Harrigan and hopes to emulate them in Rugby League’s greatest rivalry.

“I’ve thought about playing for the Blues 24/7,” he said.

“When you play footy as a kid and as you get older you start to realise the steps you need to take to get there.

“I’ve worked my way pretty hard to get here and I never want to take this jersey off.

“My heroes as a kid were big Blocker, Chief and Mark Geyer, they all played with such aggression and passion, it was unreal to watch their battles.

“Guys like Wayne Pearce were battle-warriors, they went all day and never stopped and I used to love watching him and all the old Blues front-rowers play.

The 29-year-old has no illusions going into his debut clash against the Maroons at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night and plans to feed off the experience of NSW stalwarts Willie Mason and Craig Fitzgibbon.

“I’m expecting a war,” he said.

“Two forward packs going full-out at each other, so we will need to get some early ascendancy and try to set up the series in the opening 15 minutes.

“I think it will be nothing like anything I have ever seen or experienced on a footy field, so it is definitely new to me, but I will be enjoying every minute of it.”

“Those guys (Mason) have been there for a long time, so I am going to get a few tips off them and watch and learn how they go about things this week.”

LINK

Yosh

Coach
The NSW forwards are better anyway, as long as he plays like a conventional prop, just carting it up with aggresion should go alright.

Lewis should of been on the bench in front of hornby but...

Transporter2

Juniors
The NSW Wizard Blues prop has impressed since his move to the Knights in 2008 and has earned his maiden Blues jersey
I DONT THINK SO

based on rreputation at melbourne... YES..

not for what hes done at Knights this year

antonius

Coach
I agree with the above post. Cross still has a way to go here at the Knights to gain the sort of reputation he's been talking about. He went well in the country side, and that plus his association with Bellamy prob got him into the blues side. He certainly hasn't produced any SOO type performances here yet.

perverse

Referee
I agree with the above post. Cross still has a way to go here at the Knights to gain the sort of reputation he's been talking about. He went well in the country side, and that plus his association with Bellamy prob got him into the blues side. He certainly hasn't produced any SOO type performances here yet.
i concur.

roopy

Referee
The Melbourne forwards lined up for a piece of him - but he got his arse kicked in that game.
It isn't fair to judge him on that effort alone, but in my mind he slipped behind a few of our other forwards who more than held their own.
Two or three more games like that and i won't be calling him a pack leader - but i hope he proves me wrong on wednesday night.

Stranger

Coach
Dead set, no wonder people question selection of the NSW team when politics are concerned...

Ryles at present is a much better prop than cross, infact Cross has been incredibly average and to be getting a blues jersey is just rubbish.

perverse

Referee
Dead set, no wonder people question selection of the NSW team when politics are concerned...

Ryles at present is a much better prop than cross, infact Cross has been incredibly average and to be getting a blues jersey is just rubbish.
i concur. in fact i've been spruiking it from the hilltops for at least a week. it's a farce.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
No doubt others are playing better than him but as a fellow Batemans Bay fella I don't really mind. As long as he doesn't let us down tomorrow night.

Hanscholo

Bench

M8 Ryles has made a career out of f**k ups. No thanks.

Latest posts