What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanatique

Juniors
Cold, rainy, half the team out, titans, friday night, long weekend... That said still pretty shit.

Average home attendance still about 18,500 and how many clubs are ahead of that? Remember no double counting there either. Set up to be a smaller than par attendance in all the circumstances. The Dragons will still finish the season among the top 2 NSW clubs in terms of people through the gates so a lot of the sniping is just pot shotting the biggest target in the game....the most famous club with the premiership.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Brookvale - 12k (A bit of rain around again today)
Suncorp - 23k
Mt Smart - 18k (2 teams without Origin players, both in the top 8 and the NZ Captain in the Tigers Side)
AAMI - 14K (Should get some from the AFL next door)

bobmar28

Bench
Club crowd averages at the half way point of the season compared to season 2010

Canterbury 18,709 (2010) 26,541 (2011) 7,832 (Diff)
Warriors 13,313 18,330 5,017
St George Illawarra 16,820 20,847 4,027
Newcastle 14,792 17,666 2,874
Cronulla 10,551 13,033 2,482
Sydney Roosters 16,184 17,593 1,409
Manly 13,816 14,964 1,148
Canberra 12,373 13,008 635
Parramatta 17,080 16,684 -396
Wests 18,086 17,269 -817
Souths 17,355 16,364 -991
Gold Coast 17,877 16,606 -1,271
North Queensland 14,340 12,834 -1,506
Melbourne 14,670 12,744 -1,926
Brisbane 34,377 31,923 -2,454
Penrith 13,057 10,019 -3,038

Wests?

Stagger Lee

Bench
Cold, rainy, half the team out, titans, friday night, long weekend... That said still pretty shit.

All the above, but what I would add is also every one of our home games have been on tv and all our kogarah home games have been crammed in one small period.

I know that in my familys case only 1 out of 4 (me) turned up last night because of the traffic. My wife and kids got caught up in traffic jams earlier in the evening - and still scared by the SCG traffic jam against the dogs - made the call to watch it from home.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't be too critical of the Dragons crowd, otherwise their cheer squad and Timmah will be on here calling you all morons and idiots.
You can say what you like, there are obvious reasons there wasn't a big crowd at Kogarah last night. Understood you simply wish to bash other teams and have a dig at the Dragons and good on you for being the big keyboard hero.

10k is more than I was expecting tbh, I would've thought 8, but the Grandstand was quite packed.

Wests Tigers, a merged entity consisting of the old Western Suburbs Magpies and Balmain Tigers.

:lol:

Timmah

Staff member
All the above, but what I would add is also every one of our home games have been on tv and all our kogarah home games have been crammed in one small period.

I know that in my familys case only 1 out of 4 (me) turned up last night because of the traffic. My wife and kids got caught up in traffic jams earlier in the evening - and still scared by the SCG traffic jam against the dogs - made the call to watch it from home.
Last night's traffic was utterly bizarre. I came from the north (M2 - Lane Cove Tunnel - Gore Hill, Syd Hbr Tunnel)... from the accident at the exit of the LCT right through to the airport it was an absolute crawl... but from the airport all the way to Kogarah, it was a very quick run.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Timmah the traffic problems are one of the major reasons we (my family) don't do away games, and I suspect it is a big reason for others too. Fiday nights are the worse but Monday nights are piss poor too.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Brookvale - 12k (A bit of rain around again today)
Suncorp - 23k
Mt Smart - 18k (2 teams without Origin players, both in the top 8 and the NZ Captain in the Tigers Side)
AAMI - 14K (Should get some from the AFL next door
)

I really don't get this. Does this ever actually hold true? You don't see many rugby league fans attending afl matches next door do you?

BDGS

Bench
Average home attendance still about 18,500 and how many clubs are ahead of that? Remember no double counting there either. Set up to be a smaller than par attendance in all the circumstances. The Dragons will still finish the season among the top 2 NSW clubs in terms of people through the gates so a lot of the sniping is just pot shotting the biggest target in the game....the most famous club with the premiership.

we'll see.

BDGS

Bench
You can say what you like, there are obvious reasons there wasn't a big crowd at Kogarah last night. Understood you simply wish to bash other teams and have a dig at the Dragons and good on you for being the big keyboard hero.

10k is more than I was expecting tbh, I would've thought 8, but the Grandstand was quite packed.

Assuming more things are we? get off that high horse.

Are the premiers free of criticism because they are the premiers?

They haven't had one full house all year in their re-developed small ground. I hold big talkers to the standard they set themselves. Not my fault if they can't deal with it when they fail to reach those heights.

oh btw, i don't "bash" any teams, i bring up issues on the NRL. You have short memory, earlier this week you were accusing me of bashing my own team, but now i bash other teams to be a keyboard hero? That very line is very hypocritical. But I'm sure you felt good after typing it.

STG-MACCA

Bench
They haven't had one full house all year in their re-developed small ground.

I don't understand how St.George can get an absolute full house when they have such a high number of 'pre paid' season ticket holders and every available ticket is sold to the stadium like at the tigers match.

I don't believe people on this forum grasp the structures of our stadium or ticketing options.

Until the club have a format avaiable to resell season tickets of people that can't attend a particular match, we will always see seats unoccupied at different time slots and it's obviously in the vicinity of 2 - 3k depending on the scheduling (and this will always be the case for other clubs too).

I am disappointed with the turnout last night, but let's get serious for a minute and realise that whilst only 10k showed up, the revenue our club are making is the highest in the league and to some degree that offsets our poor crowd last night.

When we are going broke and getting shit crowds, then come back and whinge!

BDGS

Bench
I don't understand how St.George can get an absolute full house when they have such a high number of 'pre paid' season ticket holders and every available ticket is sold to the stadium like at the tigers match.

I don't believe people on this forum grasp the structures of our stadium or ticketing options.

Until the club have a format avaiable to resell season tickets of people that can't attend a particular match, we will always see seats unoccupied at different time slots and it's obviously in the vicinity of 2 - 3k depending on the scheduling (and this will always be the case for other clubs too).

I am disappointed with the turnout last night, but let's get serious for a minute and realise that whilst only 10k showed up, the revenue our club are making is the highest in the league and to some degree that offsets our poor crowd last night.

I understand and agree with all of that, however other clubs have got full houses in bigger grounds in the past under this structure. A game at Parramatta springs to mind from a few seasons ago.

When we are going broke and getting shit crowds, then come back and whinge!

Now this i don't understand or agree with.

Why should we only bring up negatives when a team is struggling? Should we not bring them up before to prevent teams going into a period of struggle?

Why should bring up negatives when they come up, i for one think that for a club with a history as long as the Dragons, to be as well known as the Dragons and with one of the biggest fan bases in Rugby League their crowds are lower then they should be on average.

That is without taking into consideration that they are premiers.

I do appalled the Dragons on a number of issues, so it's not some "club bashing" exercise some moderators will have you think but on the issue of crowds under the current circumstances the St George Illawarra based club is under, they are under performing as far as crowds go.

The reason they are under performing could be up to a number of things, the issue you raised, the capacity at the Dragons venues, the amount of people that can be safely put into a venue etc. They need to be addressed and fixed, and when they are fixed i will be the first to say 'congratulations and good work' to the Dragons.

Dragons fans, a Question on WIN Jubilee Stadium.

Can this venue and area safely accommodate the number of people the stadium can hold if all standing areas and seats are full?

Austadiums.com has this venue's capacity at 22,000. Is this correct?

I am allowed to have this opinion.

STG-MACCA

Bench
I'd say 20.5 to 21 max because no matter how hard you try, people still buy tickets on the standing hill and sit down.

If everyone stood as the ticket indicates, it could safely hold 25+ albeit very tightly in some patches.

One issue not many people know about is that we sell 2 bays in the northern terrace (under the screen) to GA season ticket holders. They need to register at the start of the season and are allocated seats in those two bays, however they don't need to sit there as they are a ga ticket and I know many remain on the hill for most games but if their wife or kids come they then use those seats.

I think this needs to be stopped and sell those seats as cat 2 or 3 on a per match basis.

The thing is, we as a club want to play at our small stadiums. If we are able to do this whilst maintaining our financial viability (as per reports this season we are leading the way with profit) then it is not a problem to anyone.

Our corporate areas are one of the best in the league and they are sold out for every match and we make this money not the stadium. Our sponsorship is top notch and we have one of the most expensive front of jersey real estate in Australia (not the most expensive). If we can carry the club with sub 20k crowds and the occasional low crowd, it really doesn't effect anything except the image of our game, something that is only a small piece in the dick swinging contest puzzle.

So long as our ticketed membership numbers remain high and hopefully grow, we are doing fine.
It is very clear that the nrl value television ratings much higher than crowd numbers, however I agree it is much nicer when we have our games sold out.

There is absolutely no evidence that we are on the decline financially from low crowds so my point remains, until we are struggling we don't need to be concerned with the actual number that is recorded as our attendance as this figure is inconclusive in the scheme of things and it is the big picture that matters.

I have suggested time and time again on this forum that our supporter base is not that big in Sydney and there is plenty of economical reasons as to why this is the case. This is evident we consistently have a huge away following interstate and outside metro Sydney.

Jono1987

Juniors
Last nights crowd was poor but expected. Why should people fork out their hard earned when we're missing players due to antiquated scheduling?

BDGS you only exist on these forums to have a go at Dragons home game crowds. Quite a niche you have going. The answer to your questions could be answered by ringing the football club, instead of bringing it up every three posts.

We had (off the top of my head) 20.5k/21.5k turn up against the Sharks a couple of years ago. We haven't seen a crowd that size since. So it's probably safe to assume a crowd of around 20k would be the maximum now. We were a couple hundered short of that against the Tigers. Pendantic much?

A side note. Why do the Bulldogs have so few memberships? We keep hearing your club is the most supported in Sydney...

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Absolutely pissing down at brooky. Will we ever catch a break?

Radar looks to show more showers moving in behind it as well. If they break 6k i will be amazed. And its a real shame as well, top 4 clash shouldn't have its best player missing in Thurston and shouldnt be played in front <10k at a piss poor ground.

Luv Beaver

Juniors
Light showers in Collaroy over the last 2 hours and I don't think it will intensify any more in terms of rain. It is very cold 9, the wind chill has it feeling about 5. Pulling out the Snow Jacket and heading out to watch us have a win.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Light showers in Collaroy over the last 2 hours and I don't think it will intensify any more in terms of rain. It is very cold 9, the wind chill has it feeling about 5. Pulling out the Snow Jacket and heading out to watch us have a win.

Bring a few folk with you, looks like 20 on the hill, with an hour to kickoff.

Timmah

Staff member
Assuming more things are we? get off that high horse.

Are the premiers free of criticism because they are the premiers?

They haven't had one full house all year in their re-developed small ground. I hold big talkers to the standard they set themselves. Not my fault if they can't deal with it when they fail to reach those heights.

oh btw, i don't "bash" any teams, i bring up issues on the NRL. You have short memory, earlier this week you were accusing me of bashing my own team, but now i bash other teams to be a keyboard hero? That very line is very hypocritical. But I'm sure you felt good after typing it.
You seem to live in threads like this waiting for a small crowd at Kogarah (or even a big crowd there). I understand your dislike of the Dragons and that's all well and good, and you're welcome to criticise, just as I am allowed to disagree with you.

I'd love to know how you claim the Dragons are big talkers though - I never hear them saying "we have the biggest or best home crowd average" or anything. They have the most members yes, but split amongst two home grounds. Scheduling sometimes means that not everyone can make the games. Being a much smaller ground too, also means less availability of seats and some people don't like being on a hill. A whole range of factors. Add last night's freezing cold and Friday night Sydney traffic and you can see why the crowd was so low. No doubt disappointing - but not without reason.

The reason people get pissed off with people like you is because you seem to think that excuses aren't permissable and that there "should never be any reason" for sub-par crowds. It's called realism, something you yourself were encouraging me to see with the 'Dogs form after last weekend.

A side note. Why do the Bulldogs have so few memberships? We keep hearing your club is the most supported in Sydney...
You were spot on until you hit this point, presumably just a dig to piss BDGS off.

I believe we are the second-highest with ticketed memberships in NSW (if I recall correctly we went past the Rabbitohs with ticketed but we're still a few thousand short of their total memberships.

Even so, a quick look at the average home crowd figures (quickly, before it plummets next Sunday when we host Cronulla):

Brisbane Broncos 31,923
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 25,393*
Sydney Roosters 19,239
St George Illawarra Dragons 18,706
Newcastle Knights 17,666
Wests Tigers 17,269
Gold Coast Titans 16,606
South Sydney Rabbitohs 16,014
... huge gap ...
Warriors 13,312
Canberra Raiders 13,008
Parramatta Eels 12,989