What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanatique

Juniors
You seem to live in threads like this waiting for a small crowd at Kogarah (or even a big crowd there). I understand your dislike of the Dragons and that's all well and good, and you're welcome to criticise, just as I am allowed to disagree with you.

I'd love to know how you claim the Dragons are big talkers though - I never hear them saying "we have the biggest or best home crowd average" or anything. They have the most members yes, but split amongst two home grounds. Scheduling sometimes means that not everyone can make the games. Being a much smaller ground too, also means less availability of seats and some people don't like being on a hill. A whole range of factors. Add last night's freezing cold and Friday night Sydney traffic and you can see why the crowd was so low. No doubt disappointing - but not without reason.

The reason people get pissed off with people like you is because you seem to think that excuses aren't permissable and that there "should never be any reason" for sub-par crowds. It's called realism, something you yourself were encouraging me to see with the 'Dogs form after last weekend.

You were spot on until you hit this point, presumably just a dig to piss BDGS off.

I believe we are the second-highest with ticketed memberships in NSW (if I recall correctly we went past the Rabbitohs with ticketed but we're still a few thousand short of their total memberships.

Even so, a quick look at the average home crowd figures (quickly, before it plummets next Sunday when we host Cronulla):

Brisbane Broncos 31,923
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 25,393*
Sydney Roosters 19,239
St George Illawarra Dragons 18,706
Newcastle Knights 17,666
Wests Tigers 17,269
Gold Coast Titans 16,606
South Sydney Rabbitohs 16,014
... huge gap ...
Warriors 13,312
Canberra Raiders 13,008
Parramatta Eels 12,989
North Queensland Cowboys 12,834
Melbourne Storm 12,744
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 12,710
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles 10,635*
Penrith Panthers 10,019

*does not include double header R12

To be fair Timmah the Dogs home schedule so far could not have been better designed to produce a mid season high home average.

That said the reality is, and everyone knows this, that the Dogs are the biggest home crowd draw in NSW and the biggest in the game outside one club Brisbane. Equally the Dragons, when up and running, are the team everyone wants to beat and will always draw well at home on average and better than anyone else away where they are a marquee draw everywhere.

No one poor attendance for either means those basic realities change.

BDGS

Bench
Last nights crowd was poor but expected. Why should people fork out their hard earned when we're missing players due to antiquated scheduling?

BDGS you only exist on these forums to have a go at Dragons home game crowds. Quite a niche you have going. The answer to your questions could be answered by ringing the football club, instead of bringing it up every three posts.

We had (off the top of my head) 20.5k/21.5k turn up against the Sharks a couple of years ago. We haven't seen a crowd that size since. So it's probably safe to assume a crowd of around 20k would be the maximum now. We were a couple hundered short of that against the Tigers. Pendantic much?

A side note. Why do the Bulldogs have so few memberships? We keep hearing your club is the most supported in Sydney...

If you think my the only reason I'm here is to have a go at dragons crowds you are sadly mistaken. Take a look at my last post and you will see that obviously isn't the case.

Bulldogs members in 2008 was 3k, it's now 14k quite a large increase there and we have the best crowds in the NRL outside of Sydney.

Our memberships have grown at a fast rate and all signs are they will continue to grow into the future, that's good for the entire game and not just the dogs.

BDGS

Bench
You seem to live in threads like this waiting for a small crowd at Kogarah (or even a big crowd there). I understand your dislike of the Dragons and that's all well and good, and you're welcome to criticise, just as I am allowed to disagree with you.

I'd love to know how you claim the Dragons are big talkers though - I never hear them saying "we have the biggest or best home crowd average" or anything. They have the most members yes, but split amongst two home grounds. Scheduling sometimes means that not everyone can make the games. Being a much smaller ground too, also means less availability of seats and some people don't like being on a hill. A whole range of factors. Add last night's freezing cold and Friday night Sydney traffic and you can see why the crowd was so low. No doubt disappointing - but not without reason.

The reason people get pissed off with people like you is because you seem to think that excuses aren't permissable and that there "should never be any reason" for sub-par crowds. It's called realism, something you yourself were encouraging me to see with the 'Dogs form after last weekend.

I don't have any beef with The Dragons or the dragons fans and when I crictise something it's in the aim to be positive. Too many people on here are precious and can't take anything negative no matter who legit it is.

Why do I think they talk big? Well we constantly here stories how the Dragons made up the majority of the supporters at last years grand final and how the are the most famous of clubs with supporters everywhere. That's all very well and good and good on the dragons for that. But they must look after the backyard as well and main problem with the dragons crowds this year is that they are the premiers who play in rugby lag heartland with a large supporter base to pull from and yet they aren't pulling respectable crowds. 2 games this year I think they pulled larger then normal crowds, against the cowboys and against the dogs but in that case it may have been the SCG that pulled through extra supporters.

I hope after origin the dragons get good crowds and finish over 20k average for the year, but ATM I'm struggling to see that happening and that is a sad thing for the NRL premiers.

Maybe my expectations are too high but it's not a bad thing I want RL to prosper. I do take into circumstances and situations that may have a negative impact on crowd numbers, jus the other month or so I was arguing that needs to be take into account.

BDGS

Bench
What are your thoughts on that crowd BDGS?

I'll have to presume you are referring to tonights NRL game as you have not specified exactly which crowd. If I'm wrong in this presumption my apologises in advance.

The Manly vs North QLD crowd tonight was diapponting, just over 8k but again brookie was smashed by more wet weather which may have effected the game, playing an out of state team without rep players wouldn't of helped either.

Despite all that, a disappointing crowd, probably 2k under what I expected (like the dragons game).

BDGS

Bench
a) Who cares?
b) It's not the Saints so probably doesn't give a shit

A) I care
B) low crowds reflect badly in any game.

In saying that though, I don't think the premiers should be judged to the same standard as a team who isn't.

It would be like the broncos finishing wig an average season crowd of 27k, but saying "ah well, they are still the highest". It's not like that, each team has different circumstances surrounding them and should be judged accordingly to those circumstances.

Evenflow

Bench
Too many people on here are precious and can't take anything negative no matter who legit it is.

Spot on and Tim Tam is by far the worst offender in both the precious stakes and even more so the hypocrisy stakes. It's all well and good for him to criticise crowds/teams/supporters which he's done more than his fair share of when it suits his agenda but when anyone else does it he's always the first to jump all over them for shit canning crowds/teams/supporters. He's happy to do the bagging but when it's someone else..........

Credit where it's due to Timmy, he does some good stuff around here with the game threads and all that but f**k me, a bigger hypocrite i never have and dare say ever will come across in my life.

BDGS

Bench
Spot on and Tim Tam is by far the worst offender in both the precious stakes and even more so the hypocrisy stakes. It's all well and good for him to criticise crowds/teams/supporters which he's done more than his fair share of when it suits his agenda but when anyone else does it he's always the first to jump all over them for shit canning crowds/teams/supporters. He's happy to do the bagging but when it's someone else..........

Credit where it's due to Timmy, he does some good stuff around here with the game threads and all that but f**k me, a bigger hypocrite i never have and dare say ever will come across in my life.

Cheers,

Also just to jump on this before anyone else does.

That line you quoted should of said "how" instead of "who". It was an iPhone typo.

nko11

Juniors
but again brookie was smashed by more wet weather which may have effected the game, playing an out of state team without rep players wouldn't of helped either.

See... This is why we think you bash the Dragons. Never once (across all your posts ranting about the dragons) did you bring up that it was an out of state team, coming 15th, played without rep players and that it was freezing.

In one of your first posts about another team, you start bringing up all the reasons. Also, just because we a premiers doesn't mean we are immune to poor crowds/below average crowds; Highlighted below:

Manly (2008 premiers) 2nd home game in 2009 - 8,667
Brisbane (2006 premiers) 2nd home game in 2007 - 24,582
West Tigers (2005 premiers) 3rd home game in 2006 - 14,675

Even your Bulldogs (2004 Premiers) in 2005 got the following crowds: 14,768, 13,962, 10,599, 8,911, 8,496, 7,414.

BDGS

Bench
See... This is why we think you bash the Dragons. Never once (across all your posts ranting about the dragons) did you bring up that it was an out of state team, coming 15th, played without rep players and that it was freezing.

In one of your first posts about another team, you start bringing up all the reasons. Also, just because we a premiers doesn't mean we are immune to poor crowds/below average crowds; Highlighted below:

Manly (2008 premiers) 2nd home game in 2009 - 8,667
Brisbane (2006 premiers) 2nd home game in 2007 - 24,582
West Tigers (2005 premiers) 3rd home game in 2006 - 14,675

Even your Bulldogs (2004 Premiers) in 2005 got the following crowds: 14,768, 13,962, 10,599, 8,911, 8,496, 7,414.

1) I didn't bring up those circumstances because they had already been previously stated and well known, why would I repeat things that were already said by other posters?

Also, many times in this thread I have said I expect those circumstances the dragons were under.

2) this is 2005, 2008 or any other year, why would I bring up something that happen years ago. At the time I wasn't happy with those crowds and still not now, but the time to speak up about those crowds has passed.

3) I didn't say the premiers should be, are or previously have been immuned from small crowds. When I say the dragons crowds are disappointing, I'm not talking about game a or b, I'm talking about their average crowd.

Btw, if I wanted to "dragon bash" I would do it on any pedantic issue I could find, not just one issue. The dragons have done a of of good, this is the only thing keying them down IMO. Just because they do other things good doesn't mean they are immune by crictism on this subject.

BDGS

Bench
4) I have already said I would love for the Dragons to finish with a higher then 20k average crowd. If I wanted to "dragon bash" I wouldn't want this to happen. I've also been critical of the Titans and Panthers crowds/crowd methods on these forums this year.

The Dragons crowd was to be expected in the circumstances. Generally, the Dragons draw ~13k against non-Sydney opponents. The poor weather and absence of star players kept a few thousand away.

danmiles73

Juniors
Wonder what the Broncos will get

I don't think it will be a great crowd today, tbh. Firstly, the weather has been freezing (by Bne standards) since Thursday, and last night the rain has moved in as well. Secondly, Origin. Thirdly, Canberra. Actually, my third reason is a load of rot, really. I just looked it up and there were 38k there last year for the Raiders.

Nonetheless, my prediction for today is about 22,000.

To rub salt into the wound, I can't go myself :( but have passed my two member tickets onto willing family members.

Teddyboy

First Grade
So with the bad crowds on SOO time for club games then should SOO be stand alone on the weekend.

bobmar28

Bench
You can say what you like, there are obvious reasons there wasn't a big crowd at Kogarah last night. Understood you simply wish to bash other teams and have a dig at the Dragons and good on you for being the big keyboard hero.

10k is more than I was expecting tbh, I would've thought 8, but the Grandstand was quite packed.

Wests Tigers, a merged entity consisting of the old Western Suburbs Magpies and Balmain Tigers.

:lol:

What's funny about that?

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
4) I have already said I would love for the Dragons to finish with a higher then 20k average crowd. If I wanted to "dragon bash" I wouldn't want this to happen. I've also been critical of the Titans and Panthers crowds/crowd methods on these forums this year.

And they would by mixing the SFS/SCG into their home ground roster
4 in each of the venues
the way the tigers have done

4 Against big cross town Rivals at Moore Park .. Dogs , Tigers .. Souths & Parra .. as an example

the other 8 against lesser Sydney Rivals .. like Penrith & the Sharks ( always at Kogarah ) & out of town teams at Wollongong & Kogarah

when will these dopes wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.