What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Disagree on the "floor" comment, your crowds have been much worse in recent years and if your form continues they may well get worse this season.

As for being on par with us if you had success - should we find good form and win a premiership, for instance, we'd be pushing 25-30k averages. You guys would be looking at our current figures, tops.
Completely wrong. Our 2010 crowd and our 2011 crowd to date has been our strongest since 1971. In 2010, after 2 years of missing the 8 we had the 3rd highest average in Sydney, 5th overall.

2003-2006 our crowds averaged about 10.5k. Since 2007 the average has been 16k.

Our crowds have grown strongly from readmission to 2007. Since 2007 they've been roughly flat. And that's with no success on the field. If we made the 8 more than once this decade, we'd be near 20k. If we won a premiership we'd have over 20k routinely.

Only the Dogs have that kind of support.

When people allow for fans who don't show up to games regularly because of our lack of recent success, and when they take off the haters goggles, we are clearly one of the top 2 supported teams in Sydney.

ByRd

First Grade
Our crowd wasnt the best today but wasnt that bad, i dont know what people were honetly expecting. We had come off a shocking home loss and been out of form for about 8 weeks now playing against the Sharks (who were in a worse position then us) and they brought about 500 fans tops to the game, close to 15k is a solid effort and at grounds like Kogarah, Brookie etc. would only be a few k away from being capacity so realistically, it was not that bad.

adamkungl

Immortal

gladly

And while we are at it, why only go back 1 decade?

Why not go back to when the NSWRL expanded into Canberra and the Gong to get a clearer picture?

Parra hasn't had as much success as some of the other Sydney teams in the last decade compared to teams like the Dogs, Dragons and Roosters.

One, the term 'big 5 sydney clubs' has only popped up recently. Two, crowds from decades ago simply aren't relevant to a club's current popularity. Different clubs' popularities tend to change over the years - look at the Sharks in the late 90s compared to now.

Sydney Crowd Averages from 2001 to this year so far

Club 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 Average

Canterbury
26k 20k 22k 15k 16k 18k 18k 18k 21k 14k 14k 18k
Cronulla
13k 10k 11k 12k 10k12k 16k 12k12k 13k 12k 12k
Manly
13k 13k 13k 13k 15k 15k 15k 11k 10k 9k10k 12k
Parramatta
16k 17k 13k 13k 14k 14k 16k 11k 11k 14k 16k 14k
Penrith
10k 13k 13k 10k 12k 11k 15k 17k 17k 11k 14k 13k
Souths
16k 17k 14k 14k 15k 10k 12k 11k 9k 14k n/a 13k
St George Ill
18k 16k 15k 12k 12k 14k 14k 15k 13k 12k 11k 13k
Easts
17k 16k 13k 13k 11k 14k 16k 17k 16k 11k 12k 14k
Wests
17k 18k 17k 16k 16k 18k 18k 17k 13k 12k 12k 15k

My mistake, Saints crowds aren't much better, however they have massive membership numbers. My point being, big 5 = MYTH. Every clubs' numbers spike and drop by thousands depending on success. Dogs and Tigers stand out in recent years by avoiding this trend. Parra, Souths and Saints crowd numbers are no better than Easts, and even Penrith if they have a good few years.

Red Bear

Referee
Just to put into perspective the Liechhardt crowd today, AFL crowds are certainly the benchmark for attendance in this country. They had two matches in Melbourne with Melbourne sides against interstate ones this weekend, Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide drew 19.5K or so and Melbourne vs Fremantle about 19K. 20.5K for Wests Tigers against Melbourne is a supurb crowd. Wests Tigers do the Leichhardt arrangement very well.

fanatique

Juniors
Completely wrong. Our 2010 crowd and our 2011 crowd to date has been our strongest since 1971. In 2010, after 2 years of missing the 8 we had the 3rd highest average in Sydney, 5th overall.

2003-2006 our crowds averaged about 10.5k. Since 2007 the average has been 16k.

Our crowds have grown strongly from readmission to 2007. Since 2007 they've been roughly flat. And that's with no success on the field. If we made the 8 more than once this decade, we'd be near 20k. If we won a premiership we'd have over 20k routinely.

Only the Dogs have that kind of support.

When people allow for fans who don't show up to games regularly because of our lack of recent success, and when they take off the haters goggles, we are clearly one of the top 2 supported teams in Sydney.

No one really knows where the Rabbits are. I think they are the NRL's equivalent of the AFL's Richmond Tigers. Just like the Rabbits they have been woeful for ages yet many assume that all that is needed is a good Richmond and suddenly they are up with Collingwood.

Same with the bunnies. No one really knows where they stand. My own view is that it is a myth and they are not really up with the dogs, Tigers and Dragons but I could be wrong.

Raiderdave

First Grade
So you're one of the braindead morons who think memberships correlate directly to crowd sizes? Idiot.

And 14k for a Sydney game involving 2 Sydney teams in good weather where the home team is in the 8 is anything but fine.

well it should when they're full ticketed you peanut

Souths have 14K don't they ?
so let me get this straight

6K of your dribbling lot paid for a ticket to go to Friday nights game .... & every home game in Sydney
& didn't go :sarcasm:

5K against the Sharks
3K against the Storm

they can't even get to their full ticketed numbers as a home crowd
so why pay for a full season membership if you intend on sitting on your fat @ss & watching it at home ?
what brain dead d.ick does that

the above phrase explains a Souths member
a Souths member explains the phrase

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
what ... & the 14K who are full ticketed members .... didn't realise that when they were signing up ?:shock::sarcasm::?:lol::lol:

One of the benefits of purchasing a season ticket is the value attached. In our case you could potentially miss a few games and still be ahead with respect to the price of purchasing a ticket at the gate each week. It isn't rocket science, fella.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Bulldogs have won the spoon, missed the finals and had one good season since the siren sounded on 2007. Right now we're spiralling down the ladder, but we're still smashing our previous crowd records....

And? This season started with a lot of promise for the Dogs, and may still end up successful. As of yesterday your club was still in the 8. The only fair basis for comparison is the 2008 season and in that year your club had 4 sub 10K crowds including one of less than 8K. We've been mired in the bottom 4 or 5 all season.

No club is immune from diabolical crowds if the circumstances conspire, including your own. And we'll see if records continue to tumble as your club mirrors that tumble down the ladder. My guess is they won't.

BunniesMan

Immortal
No one really knows where the Rabbits are. I think they are the NRL's equivalent of the AFL's Richmond Tigers. Just like the Rabbits they have been woeful for ages yet many assume that all that is needed is a good Richmond and suddenly they are up with Collingwood.

Same with the bunnies. No one really knows where they stand. My own view is that it is a myth and they are not really up with the dogs, Tigers and Dragons but I could be wrong.
The Bulldogs are Collingwood, and comparing Souths to Richmond is very accurate (except, we've won the most premierships like Essendon).

We have a long history, little recent success (40 year drought for us, 31 year drought for Richmond) and a massive dormant supporter base.

If we were to suddenly make a charge for the finals and actually won the gf this year, I guarantee our membership would hit 25k+ and our crowds be at 22k+ in 2012.
what ... & the 14K who are full ticketed members .... didn't realise that when they were signing up ?:shock::sarcasm::?:lol::lol:
You can be like me, and many other members, where you buy a fully ticketed membership so you a) are supporting your club financially (the fact that we have so many people willing to pay for memberships is the biggest reason we're in the black WITHOUT a leagues club) and b) automatically have a good seat to any game you do want to see.

I've been to two this year, and I'll find the time to go to 1 or 2 more if we look like challenging for the finals.

And another benefit to being a member, I'll have access to GF tickets when we finally make one.

Our membership numbers are awesome for a club with as little recent success as us. And as for what is a par crowd for us should not be based on our membership numbers but be based on what other Sydney clubs would get with the same amount of recent success as us.

Considering half the Sydney clubs are flat out getting 16k after a top 4 season, that we can get 16k on the back of a 3 season finals drought is an indication of how big our fanbase really is.

Souths is the sleeping giant. For those of you who aren't old enough to remember a year where we're running the joint, we'll show you kids what a big club really is when we finally hit a good year.

Raiderdave

First Grade
One of the benefits of purchasing a season ticket is the value attached. In our case you could potentially miss a few games and still be ahead with respect to the price of purchasing a ticket at the gate each week. It isn't rocket science, fella.

miss a few games
or attend a few ...:oops:

Souths have barely gotten past their full ticketed numbers on most occasions at home this year & on those occasions have been out numbered or matched by opposition fans .. Dragons , Bulldogs .. Tigers
..every other game they have been nowhere near the 14K

based on your theory put up against the attendances at Souths home games ... has most of these 14K are paying for 10 games at ANZ
& attending 3
thats Rabbitohs membership Rocket Science is it ?:sarcasm:

& I don't know what the other 6K odd signed up for 8-[:-k
a scaf & a bumper sticker by the looks of it ...
cos attending a game or two certainly wasn't part of it

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
miss a few games
or attend a few ...:oops:

Souths have barely gotten past their full ticketed numbers on most occasions at home this year & on those occasions have been out numbered or matched by opposition fans .. Dragons , Bulldogs .. Tigers
..every other game they have been nowhere near the 14K

based on your theory put up against the attendances at Souths home games ... has most of these 14K are paying for 10 games at ANZ
& attending 3
thats Rabbitohs membership Rocket Science is it ?:sarcasm:

& I don't know what the other 6K odd signed up for 8-[:-k
a scaf & a bumper sticker by the looks of it ...
cos attending a game or two certainly wasn't part of it

Most of that barely legible rubbish is nothing more than subjective heresay. I also don't think you appreciate that all clubs offer season ticketed packages that grant entry to less than the allotted 12 home games. So whilst we have 14K ticketed members we don't have 14K members with the capacity to attend every single home game. Crazy world, huh? And here is a smiley since you like them so much, you might understand it better than the words I type.

:lol:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Most of that barely legible rubbish is nothing more than subjective heresay. I also don't think you appreciate that all clubs offer season ticketed packages that grant entry to less than the allotted 12 home games. So whilst we have 14K ticketed members we don't have 14K members with the capacity to attend every single home game. Crazy world, huh? And here is a smiley since you like them so much, you might understand it better than the words I type.

:lol:

ummm
durrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh
FULL ticketed memberships means every home game at ANZ thats 10 , peanut
excluding Gosford ... & Perth making up Souths 12 home games

if you buy anything less or another package of 2 or 3 games you are not a full ticketed member & not included in the 14K & are part of the other 6K
please try n keep up .... :roll:;-)

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
ummm
durrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh
FULL ticketed memberships means every home game at ANZ thats 10 , peanut
excluding Gosford ... & Perth making up Souths 12 home games

if you buy anything less or another package of 2 or 3 games you are not a full ticketed member & not included in the 14K & are part of the other 6K
please try n keep up .... :roll:;-)

Oh dear.

:lol::lol::lol:

DC_fan

Coach
Club average crowds for 2002 and 2011

Canterbury 14,160 (2002) 26,541 (2011) 12,381 (diff)
Brisbane 20,131 30,166 10,035
St Geo Illa 12,450 18,706 6,256
Syd Roost 11,449 17,593 6,144
Wests 12,704 17,269 4,565
Manly 9,331 13,879 4,548
Melbourne 9,088 12,422 3,334
Canberra 10,348 13,008 2,660
Parramatta 14,088 16,684 2,596
Warriors 15,756 17,924 2,168
Souths 14,790 16,364 1,574
Nth Qld 12,133 12,834 701
Cronulla 13,409 13,033 376
Newcastle 18,519 17,666 853
Penrith 11,008 10,019 989

In 2002 Manly were known as the Northern Eagles and the Titans were not apart of the competition.

Of the fifteen teams 12 showed an improvement in crowd averages. With the Broncos and Bulldogs averages showing very good improvement.

Evenflow

Bench
I have no doubt the Bulldogs crowd was crap today, but how predictable you'd applaud the crowd at a game involving your team :lol:

Geez you're a deadset knob Tim tam. I applauded the crowd because it was a f**king good one regardless my team being involved in the game. The vast majority of the crowd were Tigers fans so obviously it was them i was applauding for showing up in such large numbers against an interstate team. What the f**k does that have to do with my team playing?

I always applaud travelling fans who come from interstate and i know there was a few Storm fans there, but i'm not stupid enough to think that they made a huge difference to the crowds.

Now back in your box Timmy.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Fairly impressive growth for most teams in 9 years but dragged down by Cronulla Newcastle and Penrith. Hopefully Tinklertown's new stadium will make a big difference but what to do with the other two? Penrith may be down significantly this year because one of their matches was in a blizzard but realistically these two have had poor crowds for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.