What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ANZ's capacity is 83500. Considering there were 8021 on Friday Night, that's only a capacity of 9.6%. In terms of crowd as a percentage of total capacity, I think that is the lowest all year (which would be the equivalent of 1920 ppl at a suburban Sydney ground with capacity of 20000 (e.g. Parramatta, Campbelltown, Leichhardt, Kogarah)
TBH, during club games ANZ's capacity is reduced to 44k. The top levels are not available for ticketing.
So the Dogs in the top 8 get 14k against another Sydney team and that's awesome. Meanwhile when we who were significantly below the Dogs on the ladder before this weekend get 8k against an out of town team thats even lower again on the ladder, its called the worst crowd in the history of the world.

We had a shit crowd, the dogs had a shit crowd.
Yes, the 'Dogs had a shit crowd. Funnily enough, we went close to DOUBLING yours though. I'm quite disappointed, we should've cracked 15k, but coming off a bye and huge loss, playing a team not in form, I'm also not surprised.
So you're one of the braindead morons who think memberships correlate directly to crowd sizes? Idiot.

And 14k for a Sydney game involving 2 Sydney teams in good weather where the home team is in the 8 is anything but fine.
The problem is that your club faps on OVER AND OVER about how you're the pride of the league, have the most members and enjoy great support. When less than half (and realistically probably only a QUARTER) of the membership base bothers to attend a game (and yes, memberships do directly correlate to crowd sizes)... then questions have gotta be asked.

As for us being in the eight - I'm quite certain we dropped to ninth when the Knights smacked Penrith's bottom last night. And as I said, last start huge loss at home.
No.

Say the Tigers played the Dragons in the run home to the finals though...

Leichhardt would be too small.
Tigers v Dragons IS being played in the run home to the finals - and it's at the SCG.
Really?

Is that why Parra and the Dogs are the only Sydney teams to ever average over 20k in a season?
On what planet/in which season?

I'm not aware of any season where Parramatta have cracked 20k (particularly with a home ground with a capacity barely reaching that figure)... have I missed something?
A few years ago the Dogs and Illawarra both had sub 8,000 crowds. Illawarra had a sub 7,000 crowd as a matter of fact in 2008. So 3 years is the answer.
that low...

Dragons v Melbourne, Round 10, 2008 @ Stadium Australia - 6881
Bulldogs v Brisbane, Round 25, 2008 @ Stadium Australia - 7685
Tigers v Melbourne, Round 19, 2004 @ Leichhardt - 5648
Says it all that you have to go back almost four seasons for some of those. Using Dragons ANZ crowds is quite funny too given it was a one-off season. Also worth noting the Bulldogs/Broncos game was the second last round in a wooden spoon season.
I never said 8k was good. But given the same circumstances, I bet no other team would have done any better.

We're still averaging over 16k with 0 success whatsoever in the last 3.5 seasons, no other team would be over 16k if they were in the same position as us.
Except us. :)
I've been bagged by the usual few suspects (whingers) when i call out shit crowds but i'm also more than happy to praise good ones and today at Leichardt was a ripper. 20k against an out of town side was excellent :clap:
I have no doubt the Bulldogs crowd was crap today, but how predictable you'd applaud the crowd at a game involving your team :lol:

Brutus

Referee
Which is why we play all our high drawing games at the SFS. We play the out of town teams and low drawing Sydney teams at Leichhardt and Campbelltown. Tigers vs Storm would not get close to 20k at any other ground in Sydney (apart from Campbelltown).

True.

And the fact you play just a handful of games at Leichhardt means you get 20k for that particular match.

4 games at Leichhardt per year is the right amount.

I have no doubt the Bulldogs crowd was crap today, but how predictable you'd applaud the crowd at a game involving your team :lol:

Any sydney team which draws an above-average crowd (ie 16k+) against an out-of-town opponent deserves praise. It has nothing to do with the poster being a Melbourne supporter.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I'm not aware of any season where Parramatta have cracked 20k (particularly with a home ground with a capacity barely reaching that figure)... have I missed something?

Well you don't know as much as you think you do then.

They have cracked 20k average twice.

Oh, and Parra Stadium hasn't always been 20k capacity.

Timmah

Staff member
Well you don't know as much as you think you do then.

They have cracked 20k average twice.

Oh, and Parra Stadium hasn't always been 20k capacity.
I'm sure asked in what season.

Can you come back again and supply links to those seasons?

1999 counting the 104,583 double header doesn't quite count, sorry :lol:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
How about 86 for a start, a clear 17 years before your mob.

They were the first club to crack 20k ave in Sydney, only one other club has managed that, the dogs.

But according to a roosters supporter, Parra arn't in the top 5 clubs in Sydney. :roll: :crazy:

woodyk2

First Grade
I love the crowds at Anz.....massive,huge atmosphere. Makes you really wanna be part of rugby league. You can sit and yell but nobody hears you because your so far away from them.....excellent venue...top fuggin notch.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The problem is that your club faps on OVER AND OVER about how you're the pride of the league.

Where? A couple of blokes on a forum that are trying - extremely successfully I must add - to get a rise out of people does not equate to our club. I know people like to throw it back in our faces, and fair play to that, but none of us really believe it. The irony is that people like yourself bring it up and 'fap on about it OVER AND OVER' much more than we could ever hope to. And by we I mean the fans and the club.

As for the rest of your shit, well we do have 20,000 members and are well supported. There is no debate. But was our crowd on Friday rubbish. Yeah, it was terrible. But we are a terrible rugby league team and I'm surprised that we got that many. An awful lot of Souths fans are tired of us being garbage, myself included, and are feeling very deflated. Albeit I was at the game and will be at every game we play in this state - and maybe some other states - too.

adamkungl

Immortal

They were the first club to crack 20k ave in Sydney, only one other club has managed that, the dogs.

But according to a roosters supporter, Parra arn't in the top 5 clubs in Sydney. :roll: :crazy:

Dogs, Tigers and to an extent Dragons averages are consistently significantly higher in the last decade. "Big 5 sydney teams" = myth.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Dogs, Tigers and to an extent Dragons averages are consistently significantly higher in the last decade. "Big 5 sydney teams" = myth.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html#teams

Prove it.

And while we are at it, why only go back 1 decade?

Why not go back to when the NSWRL expanded into Canberra and the Gong to get a clearer picture?

Parra hasn't had as much success as some of the other Sydney teams in the last decade compared to teams like the Dogs, Dragons and Roosters.

Last edited:

dgsfan

Juniors
Id' say, in order (in Sydney this is), the top teams are

1. Bulldogs (highest crowd average and highest rating game on FTA this year and broke the payTV record in rnd 1)

2. Parramatta (crowds OK but great tv ratings, especially on FOX... I think they're no.1)

3. St George (crowds OK and tv ratings OK... not great on FOX... I think Tigers beat them)

4. Tigers (crowds second to dogs and good TV ratings on FTA and FOX)

BIG GAP

Souths > Roosters >>>>>>>>> Sharks > Penrith >>>> Manly

BunniesMan

Immortal
Gold Coast are playing even worse than Souths and average better.
Yes but this is their first bad year since 2008. They made the top 4 the last 2 season, we've missed the 8 the last 3 seasons.

They haven't even completed 1 bad year and their crowds are down, even after a period of success. Imagine if they miss the 8 every year until 2014, and then in 2014 they're outside the 8 again. They'd be happy to have 10k.

Right now we're at our absolute floor in terms of support, a run of bad years, and in another bad year now, and yet still our crowds are over 16k. Give us a year or two of success and our crowds would be on par with the Dogs at least.

dgsfan

Juniors
Our crowds are sitting at above 20,000 and this is a shit year for us. Give is the success of the Dragons and we'd be pushing 30,000. No other Sydney team could do that atm. Rabbits are waaaaaay off. Next Sydney team to break 20,000 will be the Tigers followed by Parramatta (because the have the foresight to play some games at ANZ).

Timmah

Staff member

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrl-1986/parramatta/summary.html and the figures within in it state the average was 19,600 over 13 games at Parramatta Stadium. Not sure if there are any neutral games they might have missed that were "away neutral" for Parramatta despite being at that ground.

Regardless, you're arguing semantics from a bygone era. As it stands, Parramatta's last ten years have yielded VERY average home crowds, 12k, 14k, 16k and 11k are the figures that pop up. The Bulldogs on the other hand have 21k, 15k, 16, 17k, 18k, 19k... see a pattern developing here? I note in another post you say "why only go back 1 decade"? - that would probably be because prior decades are far less relevant to current trends. The 2000's are generally how we measure all teams' crowds.

Where? A couple of blokes on a forum that are trying - extremely successfully I must add - to get a rise out of people does not equate to our club. I know people like to throw it back in our faces, and fair play to that, but none of us really believe it. The irony is that people like yourself bring it up and 'fap on about it OVER AND OVER' much more than we could ever hope to. And by we I mean the fans and the club.

As for the rest of your shit, well we do have 20,000 members and are well supported. There is no debate. But was our crowd on Friday rubbish. Yeah, it was terrible. But we are a terrible rugby league team and I'm surprised that we got that many. An awful lot of Souths fans are tired of us being garbage, myself included, and are feeling very deflated. Albeit I was at the game and will be at every game we play in this state - and maybe some other states - too.
Bulldogs have won the spoon, missed the finals and had one good season since the siren sounded on 2007. Right now we're spiralling down the ladder, but we're still smashing our previous crowd records...
:clap:
Anz is still the best venue to showcase the game...great stadium with 10 grand.
I love the crowds at Anz.....massive,huge atmosphere. Makes you really wanna be part of rugby league. You can sit and yell but nobody hears you because your so far away from them.....excellent venue...top fuggin notch.
:lol: Fancy a Manly fan trying to bag ANZ Stadium. Brookvale Oval is a shit heap.
Right now we're at our absolute floor in terms of support, a run of bad years, and in another bad year now, and yet still our crowds are over 16k. Give us a year or two of success and our crowds would be on par with the Dogs at least.
Disagree on the "floor" comment, your crowds have been much worse in recent years and if your form continues they may well get worse this season.

As for being on par with us if you had success - should we find good form and win a premiership, for instance, we'd be pushing 25-30k averages. You guys would be looking at our current figures, tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.