What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

beave

Coach
Unfortunately for the NRL and the Cowboys, because we don't know the specific number of those crowds, they can't be added to the overall average.

what????

the original announced numbers were massively wrong and the adjusted numbers released by the cowboys are more accurate to the real figures that was actually in attenface but you don't want to use those more accurate adjusted numbers because we don't know just how 'specific' the number is???? Do you not see just how ridiculous that is???

Jankuloski

Juniors
Because they're guessing the crowd. We know for sure that 12k were there. For 14k we've got someone's word. That person might be wrong. We could estimate how many people surely went through the gates and say - 13k, couldn't have been less, but that again would be guesswork, which takes the point out of doing official statistics, really...

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Eels v Tigers - 15k
Warriors v Titans -14k
Sharks v Raiders - 16k
Bulldogs v Storm -13k
Roosters v Panthers - 11k
Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs - 15k
Knights v Cowboys -19k

Saint Doc

Coach
Because they're guessing the crowd. We know for sure that 12k were there. For 14k we've got someone's word. That person might be wrong. We could estimate how many people surely went through the gates and say - 13k, couldn't have been less, but that again would be guesswork, which takes the point out of doing official statistics, really...

But it undermines doing accurate statistics if you use numbers that you KNOW are wrong.

If someone did a typo on the official report and said there were 145560 people at the cowboys game, would you use that number even though you knew it was wrong?

Just had a poke around on Ticketek for the Saints/Sharks derby on Monday week.

I'm guessing it could be due to a bunch of seats not yet released but at the moment the only options are hill tickets or pairs of seats in the front row (partially obstructed view) of the northern terrace.

With the Sharks in some good form I think we have positive signs for another good Monday night crowd.

Just had a poke around on Ticketek for the Saints/Sharks derby on Monday week.

I'm guessing it could be due to a bunch of seats not yet released but at the moment the only options are hill tickets or pairs of seats in the front row (partially obstructed view) of the northern terrace.

With the Sharks in some good form I think we have positive signs for another good Monday night crowd.

Every potential to get 20k to this fixture pending the weather

BDGS

Bench
what????

the original announced numbers were massively wrong and the adjusted numbers released by the cowboys are more accurate to the real figures that was actually in attenface but you don't want to use those more accurate adjusted numbers because we don't know just how 'specific' the number is???? Do you not see just how ridiculous that is???

Mate, i agree with you. It's ridiculous, but unfortunately for the Cowboys and the NRL's overall average, it's the way it is. :(

My predictions .. optimistic, i know:
Eels v Tigers - 16.6
Warriors v Titans -15
Sharks v Raiders - 15k
Bulldogs v Storm -14
Roosters v Panthers - 12k
Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs - 17k
Knights v Cowboys -20k

Raiderdave

First Grade
Para V Tigers 16K
Warriors V Titans 12K
Sharks V Raiders 14K
Bulldogs V Melb 12K
Roosters V Penrith 10K
Manly V Souths 18K
Knights V Cowboys 15K

97K all up

gronkathon

First Grade
Parra Stadium lost alot of Tigers fans attendance over the years through their over zealous security, terrible advertising boards and constant ticketing malfunctions.

I am sure it limits the attendance of alot of other away supporters as well

bazza

Immortal

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Parra V Wests Tigers 17k (looks very promising on ticketek categories right now)
Warriors V Titans 10k
Sharks V raiders 13k
Bulldogs V storm 12k
Roosters V Panthers 10k
Manly V Wabbits 17k
Knights V Cowboys 15k

Total = 94k, av = 13,429. Will be better than 2010 rd18 IMO.

Rd19-26 last year was very strong in terms of the average per round, i can't see us beating it as it included 4 35k + which looking at the schedule seems unlikely this year.

Jankuloski

Juniors
But it undermines doing accurate statistics if you use numbers that you KNOW are wrong.

If someone did a typo on the official report and said there were 145560 people at the cowboys game, would you use that number even though you knew it was wrong?

I'm not trying to undermine any club's or the league's effort to increase crowds. I'm just arguing over principle of doing statistics. Just like with AFL - pets don't count as members.

If there was a typo, cowboys could prove that they had a larger crowd than that. Fix the typo, job done.

Where your analogy breaks down is when the Cows can't prove they had more people at the game. Cows say: .

Storm:9954. We estimate the true number to be around 12,000.

Gold Coast:13,651. We estimate the true number to be around 14,500.

So, both 9954 and 12000 are numbers you KNOW are wrong. But, the Cows CAN PROVE they had 9954 people. They can't prove they had 12000, they can't prove they had 11000, or in fact they can't prove they had 9955 at that particular game. If you allow estimates to go into official statistics, then what's to stop the Cowboys saying they had 14000 at that game, or what's to stop any other club from braking down their counting machine in order to inflate their average?

Imagine it like this: You are 100 percent sure that 9954 ppl attented the game, you're less sure for any subsequent number - 99.99999% for 9955, 99.9% for 10k, 99.85 for 11k, 95% for 12k, 30% for 14k. Unfortunately, official statistics take into account only numbers we are 100% sure of.

It's unfortunate, but it's a lesson to be learned.

beave

Coach
I'm not trying to undermine any club's or the league's effort to increase crowds. I'm just arguing over principle of doing statistics. Just like with AFL - pets don't count as members.

If there was a typo, cowboys could prove that they had a larger crowd than that. Fix the typo, job done.

Where your analogy breaks down is when the Cows can't prove they had more people at the game. Cows say: .

Storm:9954. We estimate the true number to be around 12,000.

Gold Coast:13,651. We estimate the true number to be around 14,500.

So, both 9954 and 12000 are numbers you KNOW are wrong. But, the Cows CAN PROVE they had 9954 people. They can't prove they had 12000, they can't prove they had 11000, or in fact they can't prove they had 9955 at that particular game. If you allow estimates to go into official statistics, then what's to stop the Cowboys saying they had 14000 at that game, or what's to stop any other club from braking down their counting machine in order to inflate their average?

Imagine it like this: You are 100 percent sure that 9954 ppl attented the game, you're less sure for any subsequent number - 99.99999% for 9955, 99.9% for 10k, 99.85 for 11k, 95% for 12k, 30% for 14k. Unfortunately, official statistics take into account only numbers we are 100% sure of.

It's unfortunate, but it's a lesson to be learned.

It wasn't a typo, it was due to the turnstiles not recognising season ticket holders as they went through the ground and thus a generic ticket was scanned for everysingle person that had a season ticket. For some reason not all these weren't being tallied up towards the end of the night and after realising this had happened after the 4th home game (the first game was accurate), they actually looked into and did an estimation (the cowboys HQ is at the stadium next door to the stadium management in the same building, I am sure they spent some time in consultation with stadiums QLD).

Sure it's not an exact science, but it's more accurate than using those dodgy figures that are being trotted out at the moment. I have been to probably 80-90 games at DFS and can generally pick the crowd within about 1k and the figures they released were what I would have said were there on those nights. If they were massively inflated, then I would be the first to call them out as whilst being a massive fan of the club I also see through their bullshit they've sprouted over the years and IMO those numbers for as rough as you can guess a crowd figure, are what I honestly think were there those 3 nights. Is that official because it comes from me???? f**k no, but using those blatantly obvious original numbers is ridiculous.

My last point for this whole situation, the cowboys would only be shooting themselves in the foot by announcing a bigger amended crowd than what was actually in attendance, I am sure that taxes and so forth to be paid on tickets sales would only get higher the more people who attend.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Parra Stadium lost alot of Tigers fans attendance over the years through their over zealous security, terrible advertising boards and constant ticketing malfunctions.

I am sure it limits the attendance of alot of other away supporters as well

Whats the security like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts