What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nko11

Juniors
Made this (took ages). Gives you an idea of past season attendances for corresponding games. Green is our friend and the more we have on the 2011 column the better! Enjoy!

Attachments

• NRL_attendance_comparison.xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 43

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2011.html (all exc last nights game)
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/NRL_2011/Sydney/summary.html (roosters average)

Team Average
Brisbane 30740
Canterbury 24875
St George Illawarra 18526
Newcastle 18274
Wests Tigers 17914
New Zealand 17273
Sydney Roosters 16,403
Gold Coast Titans 16155
Parramatta 16108
Souths 15197
Manly 13890
Cronulla 13861
North Queensland 13183
Canberra 13064
Melbourne 12422
Penrith 11198

We have something to work towards. The clubs in green should aim to hold or improve these figures to be over 20000 average next season. The second group should aim at 20000 a year over the next 2-3 years. The bottom group should aim for 15000 over then next couple of seasons. As a whole the NRL's aim should be for no crowd to be under 10000 next year. Baby steps and our crowds will steadily rise. (as they have already been doing in recent years).

Made this (took ages). Gives you an idea of past season attendances for corresponding games. Green is our friend and the more we have on the 2011 column the better! Enjoy!
Good show Sir. :clap:. Thanks.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
are those cowboys numbers adjusted after the press release about the f**ked out turnstiles??

BDGS

Bench
That list above includes the double header for both Canterbury and Manly, which i don't think its an adequate representation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That list above includes the double header for both Canterbury and Manly, which i don't think its an adequate representation.
23,671 I think without the double header, not a huge difference.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Brisbane results are surprising. I knew we were down but wow! Natural disasters I suppose, because we're not having a bad year.

beave

Coach
the cowboys figure is wrong if you take into account the press release from the cowboys

http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=35866

and then you add the rest of our home games we've played and get the average, and unless my maths is wrong, but our adjusted crowd average is actually 14182.

not an awesome number admittedly, but considering everything that has happened over the last 3 years and this wet season, still pretty good.

(edit)-just to make it easier for people to believe me

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Hope Penrith get some more good crowds as them and the Sharks are always they same to be the Sydney clubs everyone (including me) want's them to be kicked out or relocated.
Be nice to be proven wrong.
But thats League for you as just when things seem to be going bad it's got a funny habit of turning it's self around.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Hope Penrith get some more good crowds as them and the Sharks are always they same to be the Sydney clubs everyone (including me) want's them to be kicked out or relocated.
Be nice to be proven wrong.
But thats League for you as just when things seem to be going bad it's got a funny habit of turning it's self around.

Penrith are not going anywhere, anyone with even a minuscule knowledge of the game of rugby league in Australia would realize this. Their crowds may not reflect it, but penrith and surrounds is literally rugby league heartland. As for the sharks, their crowd averages for this season and others would suggest that they have a support base that is extremely loyal. Financially they may have issues but they are not sitting on their hands.

And since when are 'low' crowds the criteria for team relocation/expulsion?

Teddyboy

First Grade
Penrith are not going anywhere, anyone with even a minuscule knowledge of the game of rugby league in Australia would realize this. Their crowds may not reflect it, but penrith and surrounds is literally rugby league heartland. As for the sharks, their crowd averages for this season and others would suggest that they have a support base that is extremely loyal. Financially they may have issues but they are not sitting on their hands.

And since when are 'low' crowds the criteria for team relocation/expulsion?

Just saying from an outsider's point of view as iam not an aussie or ex-pat living in Sydney.
Well low crowds shouldn't be a part of a major code don't you think ?.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just saying from an outsider's point of view as iam not an aussie or ex-pat living in Sydney.

No I don't think low crowds are acceptable but I do believe that steadily increasing crowds are.

Brutus

Referee

Low crowds are part of rugby union.

Just have a look at some of the dreadful numbers for Super 15 in NZ this year.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Getting rid of the panthers - just because of crowd figures!!!!????
Its was in 2003-4 that Penrith officials used to take pictures of the "crowds" at the SFS to prove that the Roosters were making up the attendance figures. At that time Penrith had a consistently good team and were averaging 15-16K

H.H

Juniors
Getting rid of the panthers - just because of crowd figures!!!!????
Its was in 2003-4 that Penrith officials used to take pictures of the "crowds" at the SFS to prove that the Roosters were making up the attendance figures. At that time Penrith had a consistently good team and were averaging 15-16K
You might need to check that....it was 1998/99 when that happened. This was when every club was playing towards a criteria to ensure they stayed in the comp post Super League....remember? That was the one Souffs lost.

In 2003/04 the Roosters averaged 16k and 17k respectively (No.1 in Sydney in 2004).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Away fans help

The majority of the clubs in the NRL have around 12-15k home fans. Sydney clubs get boosted by travelling fans. Some clubs do need to get more people in, more people = more money = better NRL.

One or two exceptions but when you break down home fan turn out I think you would find not alot of difference between any of them. How we get an extra 5-8k home fans for each club is the question?

Hallatia

Referee
Sydney clubs get boosted by travelling fans.
There are nine Sydney teams as well as a Newcastle team which is closer to some parts of Sydney than Campbelltown or Penrith are. It's not a big trek for Sydney fans to travel to the venues of any of these teams' games. I know what the reality of crowd figures is but I think all Sydney teams should average at least 15K per round.

Status
Not open for further replies.