What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
the cowboys figure is wrong if you take into account the press release from the cowboys

http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=35866

and then you add the rest of our home games we've played and get the average, and unless my maths is wrong, but our adjusted crowd average is actually 14182.

not an awesome number admittedly, but considering everything that has happened over the last 3 years and this wet season, still pretty good.

(edit)-just to make it easier for people to believe me

Unfortunately for the NRL and the Cowboys, because we don't know the specific number of those crowds, they can't be added to the overall average.

ByRd

First Grade
You might need to check that....it was 1998/99 when that happened. This was when every club was playing towards a criteria to ensure they stayed in the comp post Super League....remember? That was the one Souffs lost.

In 2003/04 the Roosters averaged 16k and 17k respectively (No.1 in Sydney in 2004).

The bulldogs averaged 18k in 2004 so the roosters were no.2 in Sydney.

BDGS

Bench
You might need to check that....it was 1998/99 when that happened. This was when every club was playing towards a criteria to ensure they stayed in the comp post Super League....remember? That was the one Souffs lost.

In 2003/04 the Roosters averaged 16k and 17k respectively (No.1 in Sydney in 2004).

I've been surprised with the Roosters crowds this year, Fantastic that they are averaging 16,621.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Again, take out the outlier of the ANZAC Day game (where Dragons fans undoubtedly dominate the crowd) and the Roosters probably don't average anywhere near that much.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Low crowds are part of rugby union.

Just have a look at some of the dreadful numbers for Super 15 in NZ this year.

Iam not talking about Union mate but yes for a 3 country comp there are some terrible crowds for the S15.

pcpp

Juniors
True, but the SL is a 3 country comp too and their crowds are shithouse in all 3..

Bit harsh on the Catalans there, thought you were a big French RL follower!

Apart from Harlequins and Salford crowds are not too bad in England either.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Bit harsh on the Catalans there, thought you were a big French RL follower!

Apart from Harlequins and Salford crowds are not too bad in England either.

I am a big fan and I like what Catalans have done in the support area, but it's still pretty small atm at around 8.5k a match (stadium has just been done up so I expect the crowds to jump).

But the ESL needs to spend some money on advertising the game, we (NRL fans) might laugh at a few of the S15 crowds, but the English would kill to get those.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I think some people obsess too much over crowds. There are many other factors that determine the value of a club, just because Cronulla/Penrith aren't drawing huge crowds every week doesn't mean we should just cull them.

Even some of the biggest European soccer leagues have a handful of clubs that have sub 10K averages. Our crowds are growing nicely.

BDGS

Bench
Again, take out the outlier of the ANZAC Day game (where Dragons fans undoubtedly dominate the crowd) and the Roosters probably don't average anywhere near that much.

When i said take out the crowd that turned up to the SCG for the heritage round match between the Dragons and the Bulldogs shouldn't really count because of the fact that game wouldn't got that many on under that weather anywhere else but the SCG and you and Dragons fans had a huge spat about it.

So either, we take out the both of those games due to the fact those games drew bigger games then they usually would or both Roosters and Dragons crowd are an accurate average including those games.

Can't have it both ways.

When i said take out the crowd that turned up to the SCG for the heritage round match between the Dragons and the Bulldogs shouldn't really count because of the fact that game wouldn't got that many on under that weather anywhere else but the SCG and you and Dragons fans had a huge spat about it.

So either, we take out the both of those games due to the fact those games drew bigger games then they usually would or both Roosters and Dragons crowd are an accurate average including those games.

Can't have it both ways.

I don't think that was really timmahs arguement.
Dragons fans unquestionably dominated the crowd in both of these fixtures

BDGS

Bench
I don't think that was really timmahs arguement.
Dragons fans unquestionably dominated the crowd in both of these fixtures

I wasn't arguing anything, merely making a point. Which has nothing to do with who dominantws which crowd, but events that would contribute to an larger then normal crowd.

I believe if you took out both games, you would get a more realistic look at both clubs average. But that's just my opinion.

I wasn't arguing anything, merely making a point. Which has nothing to do with who dominantws which crowd, but events that would contribute to an larger then normal crowd.

I believe if you took out both games, you would get a more realistic look at both clubs average. But that's just my opinion.

Depends on whether an average crowd is used in an attempt to prove or disprove a clubs level of support.

I'm not sure I said you were arguing?

H.H

Juniors
The bulldogs averaged 18k in 2004 so the roosters were no.2 in Sydney.
Right you are, but it was pretty close:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2004.html

As to some of the other comments about Rooster crowds.

1. Study the above and tell me how often, in the modern era in particular, we have had the lowest average for the year? I'm thinking the general bagging we always cop about our crowds is very unfair.

2. Tim Tam, if we're playing "what ifs", then I'll point to the 4 games that were rained on which majorly affected the crowds on those days....including ANZAC Day actually which probably would've sold out on a good day.

- We also had terrible weather against Manly which was directly after round 1 which was our only good performance of the year
- We had appalling weather against the Broncos and to compound that, we lost our Good Friday game which averages around 18k becuase it combined with ANZAC Day.
- We had another shocking night of weather when we played the Warriors.

So if my auntie had balls, my uncle would say we'd be averaging 18-19k for the year which is alright I reckon considering how woeful the team has performed.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Terrible weather against Manly? Wasn't it sunny? :?

Broncos, at Gosford, would've topped 11-12k max in better weather.

Warriors? Yeah, good luck with that one :lol:

H.H

Juniors
Terrible weather against Manly? Wasn't it sunny? :?

Broncos, at Gosford, would've topped 11-12k max in better weather.

Warriors? Yeah, good luck with that one :lol:
Manly game had cleared by kick off but only just - was preceeded by a Saturday and Sunday morning of torrential rain.

For the Broncos, re-read my point on Good Friday (What if??).

Status
Not open for further replies.