What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Brilliant day at Brookie, loved going out on the ground post game.

Fantastic crowd. NRL needs to take notice, fans LOVE Sunday footy. Take a game off Friday night, move it to Sunday. MINIMUM 3 x Sunday games each week.

BDGS

Bench

Fantastic crowd. NRL needs to take notice, fans LOVE Sunday footy. Take a game off Friday night, move it to Sunday. MINIMUM 3 x Sunday games each week.

Wouldn't that result in less cash in the TV deal, compared to having a double on friday night?

I was thinking that too... today Gould and Rabs were talking about it too; and they were basically saying sunday football is where its at...

In my opinion;

Friday-1 game
saturday- 2 games
sunday-4 games
monday- 1 game.

undertaker

Coach
Just got back from Brooky.

How did they ever fit 27k into that ground back in 86. There was a lot of people standing behind the southern goal posts, who couldn't get a seat or a bench to sit on.

I know the arko stand wasn't there back then, but that particular area wasn't all that big anyway.

Quality fairy floss on a stick at that ground I must say.

A long while back, Fox Sports showed the well-known Sunday arvo clash from the last round of '94 between Sea Eagles and Raiders. It was a big game as both teams were in the then-top 5 at the time and many ppl, including Rabs in the telecast, referred to it as the 'dress-rehearsal for the grand final' (which didn't eventuate in the end). That game got 26168, which is the 2nd highest attendance at Brookvale (1st is that game in the '80s vs Parramatta that you're referring to). It does make me wonder how they got another 6000 or so ppl through the gates that day. Even before their recent ground redevelopment, Newcastle would struggle to get that amount, even though its ground is larger in size than Brookvale.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol sub 10k at Adelaide, an AFL heartland that has been shafted and neglected by RL is bad according to some and shows no appetite for RL, next day two Sydney teams playing each other can barely scrape the same crowd on a Sunday afternoon in a high quality stadium. Our game needs some significant promotion across the country, sadly even in its own heartland.

beave

Coach
the NRL/TV want as many games to be standalone as possible, this prevents cannibalization of ratings between pay tv and free to air. I loved going to Sunday games in Sydney when I lived there but I don't think they will increase it to 3 or more on a sunday with the next TV rights without a massive drop in coin for the game. It sucks but I guess it will a trade off for us.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I was thinking that too... today Gould and Rabs were talking about it too; and they were basically saying sunday football is where its at...

In my opinion;

Friday-1 game
saturday- 2 games
sunday-4 games
monday- 1 game.

100% agreed:thumn

I know the big games such as Origin are better under lights, as it provides more atmosphere. However, when you see games at packed out grounds on a Sunday arvo such as today at Brookvale, and at Leichhardt Oval not so long ago when the Storm played there, it makes you realise just how important Sunday afternoon football is. I think players would much prefer to play a game on a sunny Sunday arvo, even at 12pm, than a game on a cold winters night. IF Newcastle can perform well tomorrow night and we get perfect weather next Sunday just like there was today, given the capacity of Ausgrid is now 33000 I cannot see there being any less than 25000 for the Knights/Sea Eagles match.

On the topic of the game distribution, if it wasn't for MNF, a 1-3-4 distribution (1 Friday Night, 3 Saturday Night, 4 Sunday) would be MY IDEAL in a 16 team comp. You have 4 games played during daytime and 4 at night (which would appease the tv networks). However, given how critically important MNF is going to be for the next tv deal and hence it will be here to stay in the long-run, I agree with your 1-2-4-1 distribution. Otherwise, if there is any form of compromise, there needs to be an absolute minimum of 3 games on Sunday arvo, of which AT LEAST one of them has to be in Sydney. I think it's completely unacceptable to have rounds with no Sunday games in Sydney, yet there are sometimes three games in Sydney on a Saturday night or two games on a Friday Night in Sydney which are within close proximity of each other (e.g. SFS and Leichhardt). Completely wasted scheduling if you ask me.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
lol sub 10k at Adelaide, an AFL heartland that has been shafted and neglected by RL is bad according to some and shows no appetite for RL, next day two Sydney teams playing each other can barely scrape the same crowd on a Sunday afternoon in a high quality stadium. Our game needs some significant promotion across the country, sadly even in its own heartland.

Adelaide maybe an AFL heartland with some of the highest membership levels in the AFL. However, when you have a look at these statistics of past rugby league games that have been played in Adelaide, you can see that there DEFINITELY is potential IF the NRL has the balls to go the hard yards and do the fundamentals (e.g. promotion). Just taking one game a year there and saying "Well, that's good enough" and then cross your fingers and hope that 20000+ ppl are going to turn out is a pathetic and lame attempt at claiming to promote the game in Adelaide:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/adelaide_vn.html#hi

Last edited:
the NRL/TV want as many games to be standalone as possible, this prevents cannibalization of ratings between pay tv and free to air. I loved going to Sunday games in Sydney when I lived there but I don't think they will increase it to 3 or more on a sunday with the next TV rights without a massive drop in coin for the game. It sucks but I guess it will a trade off for us.

Yeah but it would be better to have 2 games on saturday because they rate higher and more games on sunday as they are bigger crowd drawers; plus you could still have your traditional 4pm game.

Or maybe you could alternate it and have(for saturday& sunday):

3 and 3 one week :

Saturday times

-7.30x2(viewers choice)

Sunday times

-2pm
-4pm
-6pm

and 2 and 4 another week:

Saturday times

Sunday times

-12pm
-2pm
-3pm(or 4)
-5pm(or 6)

that way there is more standalone(and less cannibalization) and sunday can be football day.

100% agreed:thumn

I know the big games such as Origin are better under lights, as it provides more atmosphere. However, when you see games at packed out grounds on a Sunday arvo such as today at Brookvale, and at Leichhardt Oval not so long ago when the Storm played there, it makes you realise just how important Sunday afternoon football is. I think players would much prefer to play a game on a sunny Sunday arvo, even at 12pm, than a game on a cold winters night. IF Newcastle can perform well tomorrow night and we get perfect weather next Sunday just like there was today, given the capacity of Ausgrid is now 33000 I cannot see there being any less than 25000 for the Knights/Sea Eagles match.

On the topic of the game distribution, if it wasn't for MNF, a 1-3-4 distribution (1 Friday Night, 3 Saturday Night, 4 Sunday) would be MY IDEAL in a 16 team comp. You have 4 games played during daytime and 4 at night. However, given how critically important MNF is going to be for the tv deal and that it will be here to stay in the long-run, I agree with your 1-2-4-1 distribution. Otherwise, if there is any form of compromise, there needs to be an absolute minimum of 3 games on Sunday, of which AT LEAST one of them has to be in Sydney. I think it's completely unacceptable to have rounds with no Sunday games in Sydney, yet there are sometimes three games in Sydney on a Saturday night. Completely wasted opportunity there by the NRL

I agree... Monday night football is going to be our money maker; there is barely anything on; on monday nights, and foxtel is doing such a great job with it. In my opinion when they new TV deal happens they have to pay the clubs more; to take monday games because of the revenue they are losing.

docbrown

Coach

The future will be a Sunday F2A double header as a news lead in.

The third Sunday game (the 9th game from expansion) would alternate from 12pm Sunday to 6pm Sunday on subscription TV.

But every week there would a guaranteed 3 Sunday games.

undertaker

Coach

I'm well aware that the TV networks (moreso than the NRL) want as many standalone timeslots as possible, and I'm aware that as good as 'Around the Grounds' was on a Sunday arvo when I was still in primary school (knowing that you were a part of an 'event' when you heard the score updates at whatever game you were at), we'll never go back to the days when we had 5+ games kicking off at Sunday 3pm (before the NRL)/Sunday 2:30pm (during the first couple of years of the NRL).

If the competition expands to 18 teams, I do believe that the extra game belongs on a Sunday. There's numerous combinations I would be prepared to accept:

i) 2 x Sunday 2pm (viewers choice on Fox), 1 Sunday 4pm (I'd like to see whoever gets the FTA rights to broadcast live at 4pm). This scenario is unlikely as you have two games in the same timeslot (2pm)

ii) 1 Sunday 12pm (fox), 1 Sunday 2pm (Fox), 1 Sunday 4pm (FTA)

12pm timeslot may not be ideal in the early rounds whilst it's still warm weather, but during the winter months, it'd be ideal for venues like Leichhardt, Brookvale etc.

If WA reds get in, the 6pm (Fox) or 6:30pm (FTA) for the eastern states would be ideal for WA home games.

There's many combinations that can be achieved. But, I guess the main things I believe should be the case is that the FTA game should be live at 4pm (perhaps a double header for FTA, as has been suggested, would be useful. You could have a pre-game show at 2pm with kickoffs at 2:20pm and 4:10pm respectively). Back in the late '90s, Ch7 used to show double headers for the AFL on Sunday (kickoffs were 12:40pm for the early game, and 3:20pm for the afternoon game, leading into the news).

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I think if the roosters had a suburban style ground they would get 17-18k on a sunday no matter who they play

Like leichardt, the drawcard is the ambience not the game

BDGS

Bench

The third Sunday game (the 9th game from expansion) would alternate from 12pm Sunday to 6pm Sunday on subscription TV.

Is this a hope or do you know something?

Hallatia

Referee
I think if the roosters had a suburban style ground they would get 17-18k on a sunday no matter who they play

The SFS is probably the best stadium in Sydney, if that can't attract fans, why should anything else be able to?

M2D2

Bench
People are dreaming if they think NRL will allow 4 games on a sunday. As much as i would love it, will never, ever happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore

If 17-18k is the height of our ambition for clubs we should pack up and revert to the NSWRL cup!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Agreed. I think Sunday night football is necessary. If it were on FTA, id be happy with it on delay. 7pm kick off, 7:30 on TV.

smithie

Juniors
A Sunday 6:30pm game on after the news would be huge on FTA or PayTV.

One thing that has become apparent is all games must be shown live. It is way too easy these days to accidentally see the live score. The only
exemption would be the second Friday game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts