What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Honestly the crowds in SEQ are a blight on the game considering the market share they enjoy with sporting public. I don't see how a third SEQ team at this point can generate consistently good crowds without affecting the Titans and Broncos attendances.

Great game, crowd and atmosphere at Bluetongue tonight, i think they need to improve stadium access though as the eastern gate is always packed and it pisses off everybody.
Spot on mate - let the Titans get a foothold before even considering BNE2 or CQ.

As for Gosford last night - the stadium needs to make more people aware of the other gate. I walked in without a person in front of me at about 7pm last night. Meanwhile, I am aware of the fact the main gates opposite the stadium were a crush. They need to communicate better with the fans as to the location of that second gate.
After our win tonight, if the Dragons win on Sunday we'll possibly see close to 30k at the SFS for the Tigers/Dragons next Friday, although the Dogs playing at ANZ might knock it down a little.
More dumb scheduling by the NRL - putting Bulldogs and Tigers home games on at the same time. If Dogs win tonight we'll probably see 30k at SFS and 15-20k at ANZ.
8 games! Keep brookie as a boutique venue for use 4 times a year and it guarantees big crowds
Haven't we heard this idea before? :-k :lol:

Spark Plug

Juniors
Just shows that the CC needs more footy up there. Doesnt mean it needs a team though

I think the good crowd had more to do with the fact that it was the Tigers playing. The Knights have played a few games there in recent years against Manly, as well as the Roosters and Souths and the crowds were no where near as good as last night.

Jankuloski

Juniors
@Timmah
What would be Manly's average on Brookvale oval for this season?

Why not move the sea eagles to central coast? The club is fed up with Brookvale, everyone here hates it, the council won't let them upgrade it.. On the other hand, all the arguments for the Central Coast are that they want a team to call their own..

edit: according to http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2011.html it's a little bit over 12k.. That's Melbourne territory.. but with Melbourne you at least know they have a huge town and you just need to be patient enough to convert people.. Where are Manly going to find new fans..

This might be RL's way of having the cake and eating it too.. You expand and you keep the traditional club.. You get the benefits of a merge, with half the hassle..

Yes, the North Sydney merger failed.. but that was then.. Gold Coast had several unsuccesful incarnations.. it's not that the idea was flawed.. but the way it was done..

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not sure why 20,059 was announced as the crowd at Gosford tonight
thats the capacity of the ground ... to the last seat :sarcasm:

& there were a few hundred empty that were visible
it was about 19,500 odd ... not 20K

but anyway
it was nearly as many as Brisbane ... a city with nearly 10 times the population
24K is a disgrace as the Broncos crowds this year have been pretty much all year .... as have the cowboys crowds & Titans crowds
QLD have let the code down badly this year
they have a chance to redeem themselves with some big games to come
Starting with the warriors next week .. that has to get 40K surely :?

come on QLD .. lets get to the games :x

Raiderdave

First Grade
@Timmah

Why not move the sea eagles to central coast? The club is fed up with Brookvale, everyone here hates it, the council won't let them upgrade it.. On the other hand, all the arguments for the Central Coast are that they want a team to call their own..

edit: according to http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2011.html it's a little bit over 12k.. That's Melbourne territory.. but with Melbourne you at least know they have a huge town and you just need to be patient enough to convert people.. Where are Manly going to find new fans..

This might be RL's way of having the cake and eating it too.. You expand and you keep the traditional club.. You get the benefits of a merge, with half the hassle..

Yes, the North Sydney merger failed.. but that was then.. Gold Coast had several unsuccesful incarnations.. it's not that the idea was flawed.. but the way it was done..

because the people on the coast don't want them
the crowd last night was 70% Tigers fans
Manly are as popular as a f@rt in an elevator up there :roll:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
it was nearly as many as Brisbane ... a city with nearly 10 times the population
24K is a disgrace as the Broncos crowds this year have been pretty much all year .... as have the cowboys crowds & Titans crowds

I'm a believer that repeated friday night games featuring the Broncos are affecting the crowds in Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good crowd in Gosford, maybe all hope isn't lost for the Eagles to take over the area? what's going on with Broncos? Lockeyr's last year, decent winning team, you'd think they'd be flocking to games?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
@Timmah

In 2000-2002, the Northern Eagles were sold to Coast locals as "it's own team". The sad facts were they were "Manly in Norths clothing" so to speak. That left a bitter taste in the mouth of the locals.

Manly would be highly unlikely to move, particularly to Bluetongue. Manly still draw good crowds to Brookvale, most recently they had 19,800 there for a match vs South Sydney. They've had a few lower crowds this season due to poor scheduling and bad weather.

If you've been paying attention to the bid scenario, you'd know that the screaming out for a team on the Central Coast is accounted for - the BEARS have a bid in and it's 7,000 members strong.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
No doubt. Next week will be interesting, Broncos vs. Warriors at Suncorp, Saturday 7:30pm.
Hopefully a massive crowd. these two teams have built up a good rivalry over the years and something a little out of the ordinary usually happens when they play. Both are in great form (although the warriors will be coming off a BIG loss :mrgreen:).

beave

Coach
Not sure why 20,059 was announced as the crowd at Gosford tonight
thats the capacity of the ground ... to the last seat :sarcasm:

& there were a few hundred empty that were visible
it was about 19,500 odd ... not 20K

but anyway

People are hurting big time up here still, I drove up to Cairns last week and got to see the aftermath for the first time in places like Cardwell and Tully and even 6 months on people still haven't been able to get back to some sort of normality. There was a good article in todays TVL Bully about 6 months since Yasi
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/07/30/253211_news.html

gives people a bit of an insight I guess as to what is going on up here. Just to add into the mix, the drive that normally takes 4 hours to Cairns was closer to 5.5-6 hours for me, as there was 7 lots of major construction which made me stop at each one for 15-20 minutes blowing out the trip time deluxe as well as requiring a new f**king windscreen thanks to a stray stone hitting it, I can see why the people up further North couldn't be f**ked heading down here for a game until everything settles down a bit.

The people up here have supported the Cowboys through thick and thin for 16 years and we've always had great crowds, this year has been tough for a lot of communities and give it another 18 months or so hopefully things will be back to normal but we aren't superhuman up here and sometimes footy takes a back seat when you have no income or $$$ because your banana crops or house has been destroyed.

Though I think with the yanks about to hit some even tougher times, I reckon the whole of Oz may be in for some of it's own hurt soon enough.

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
I think anyone who thinks that the cyclones and floods in Queensland wouldn't have had an effect on crowds up north is extremely naive.

Rebuilding ones home, life, workplace, community takes a lot of time and money, and even those who had insurance would still be massively affected fiscally throughout the whole thing, just based upon the size of the disaster and how long it would be taking for insurance companies to deal with everyone.

These people haven't stopped following league, they now just no longer have the time, money or energy to do it like they use to. I'm sure most of them are trying to get to the occasional game, and for the people of North Queensland I'm sure they're all targeting the Cowboys v Broncos match to do it, but yeah we're being hurt by the fact that these people are now only going to 1 or 2 games this year verses their normal 6-8.

What can we do about it? Honestly not much, we just need to accept that at the moment league isn't as high on the priority list for a lot of people in Queensland as it was in past years. At least as a plus, the Broncos and Cowboys both putting in solid years means that say come next year when hopefully everyone is back on their feet fully, they'll all be keen to come back.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Spot on mate - let the Titans get a foothold before even considering BNE2 or CQ.

As for Gosford last night - the stadium needs to make more people aware of the other gate. I walked in without a person in front of me at about 7pm last night. Meanwhile, I am aware of the fact the main gates opposite the stadium were a crush. They need to communicate better with the fans as to the location of that second gate.

More dumb scheduling by the NRL - putting Bulldogs and Tigers home games on at the same time. If Dogs win tonight we'll probably see 30k at SFS and 15-20k at ANZ.

Haven't we heard this idea before? :-k :lol:

Not surprised the other gate was empty, lots of people for the Western side were at the eastern gate and a bit confused about the whole thing. A big kick ass sign would sort it all out or someone with a loud speaker.

On the empty seats at the wings of the grandstands i think there were 100-200 people standing at the north west corner which could account for the few empty seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.