What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamkungl

Immortal
Is this a furphy? Its the Panthers Leagues club that is producing and funding the Jnrs, not the NRL Pnathers. Would all that Jnr development continue if the NRL Panthers were not in the NRL? Yep. Clearly the kids out West are not taking up RL to emulate their Panther heroes otherwise they would also be at the games cheering them on.

Not saying they should be axed but they should def be put on notice by the NRL to lift their game in attendances or face the possibility.

Correct...although I think the point is that clubs/areas that provide so much talent to the game should be competing at the highest level. Much like the CC :p

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Did I just see "culture" and "horse racing" used in the same breath? :lol:

adamkungl

Immortal
Nothing more cultured that ladies and gentlemen dressing up in their finest outfits, having a punt, getting utterly sh*tfaced and pissing in the bushes behind the grandstand...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
every regional city in australia stops for its cup day. sydney would too if it was cultured enough to appreciate horse racing
Sydney has the world famous opera house, Melbourne has a horse race which is unknown outside of our shores...

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Min 21 Max 25 A few showers. Windy.Chance of any rain: 70%
rain_70.gif
Rainfall amount: 4 to 10 mm
Metropolitan area

Cloudy. Scattered showers from the late morning. Isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening. Winds northwesterly ahead of a southerly change averaging up to 45 km/h late morning.

This is a big road block in the quest for 26K...

Just so everybody knows when looking at forecasts on the Bureau's website...NSW, ACT and VIC all use the new automated forecast system. What this means is that it is a program that converts raw data from the computer forecast models into text. All they do at 4am and 4pm is press the big green GO button to start the process, and it spits out what appears to be a 7 day, detailed forecast for practically anywhere in Australia.

What this means is that there is zero human input, and the "Bureau's" forecasting accuracy now appears to be much worse than it previously was (it wasn't toooo bad in recent years). NSW and ACT switched in 2010, the Victorians in their wisdom switched way back in 2008, and the rest of the country is supposed to follow by the end of 2013.

Unfortunately the law states that all public forecasts in the media and on websites etc for places and times that the Bureau forecast for must be exactly the same as the Bureau's. So using Weatherzone or any other Australian weather website is not going to do you much good either.

So the bottom line is, don't take too much out of the Bureau's forecast in terms of worrying about crowds.

Brutus

Referee
Nothing more cultured that ladies and gentlemen dressing up in their finest outfits, having a punt, getting utterly sh*tfaced and pissing in the bushes behind the grandstand...

The last time I went to races, a 'lady' was busted crapping in the bushes.

It's all class.

Evenflow

Bench
The Storm game was competing with a few other events - the moomba thing started that night (I think its a sort of carnival).

Good point about Moomba. It's a bit more than a carnival or a royal show and while it might not be well known outside of Melbourne it's been happening here for over 50 years and just watching the news they said it will crack a record crowd of 800,000 people since it started on Friday, not bad for a long weekend. Going to the Storm after party at Crown the main streets of Melbourne like Flinders st and Fed Square were blocked off to traffic because of the sheer number of people in the cith that night it was absolute chockers.

Though reading some of the crap on here things like that just don't cut it when it comes to a non AFL city like Melbourne yet we hear excuses time after time, season after season things like a WRX convention in Bankstown or a 21st birthday in the Eastern suburbs for some of the pathetic crowds dished up in the "heartland" of rugby league that is Sydney.

We're gonna break a new record collectively for the the entire round so stop f**king whingeing about individual crowds.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yep...way too much sooking in this thread, there always is. I can't wait til Roosters v Canberra or something :lol:

Chook Norris

First Grade
bloody disappointing crowd.. doesnt look like it'll even crack 20k

sh*tty scheduling was always going to do that

STG-MACCA

Bench
Regardless of crowds, mnf is a great thing and I love watching when it's a non saints game on a Monday night after what is typically the worst day of the week at work.

I know we love big crowds, but big tv ratings pay the bills and I already see mnf as an event for most of us on a weekly basis.

The main concern for me is stadium access and the early kickoff. Sydney is f**ked for traffic as it is, work is always in the way on a Monday night and homebush sucks to get too during peak from anywhere unless it's by train, but not possible as not all areas have rail access.

Next Monday saints play in cronulla and I will need to leave work early and that means taking annual leave so that I can attend. Not everyone would do this and here lies the problem.

I would stick with it though as it's great on tv so long as every team has to host a mnf match.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
bloody disappointing crowd.. doesnt look like it'll even crack 20k

sh*tty scheduling was always going to do that

I'm thinkin it looks over 20k, maybe 22k at a push. Seems to be heavily doggies too, tigers fans only concentrated at right side facing camera.

absolutely packed under the camera going by the shot of morris there.

elbusto

Coach
I'm thinkin it looks over 20k, maybe 22k at a push. Seems to be heavily doggies too, tigers fans only concentrated at right side facing camera.

absolutely packed under the camera going by the shot of morris there.
I agree and what a try by the way. ANd I am a Tigers fan.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Slightly OT but what does it take to get free public transport for matches like at major events (inc. GF, big finals)?? Can/should the NRL insist that all games at ANZ and the SFS get free public transport. Would the incentive even make a difference to crowds? Maybe more relevant to families if they don't have to sit in a car for an hour after the game and don't get hit in the pocket for taking the train to the game

Status
Not open for further replies.