What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

supera

Juniors
interesting to see people with NFI bagging the Raiders crowds!

yes, the long weekend, particularly the weather, had an impact - my usual game day company was at the coast for example.

but more than that, there was a little thing called the black opal stakes on here in canberra today. forget canberra cup, the black opal is canberra's biggest race day. i haven't seen a crowd figure today, but it usually gets between 15-20k people there. with a sunny 28 degrees, i'm willing to bet it was on the higher end of that scale.

13,500 is disappointing, i won't dispute that. but the raiders didn't want the game today in the first place - they asked the NRL to make it on another night to avoid the clash. the NRL didn't listen.

friday night, with the drawing power of the broncos and the big win today, i'd expect over 20k, despite the ridiculous 8.30pm kick off.

supera

Juniors
interesting to see people with NFI bagging the Raiders crowds!

yes, the long weekend, particularly the weather, had an impact - my usual game day company was at the coast for example.

but more than that, there was a little thing called the black opal stakes on here in canberra today. forget canberra cup, the black opal is canberra's biggest race day. i haven't seen a crowd figure today, but it usually gets between 15-20k people there. with a sunny 28 degrees, i'm willing to bet it was on the higher end of that scale.

13,500 is disappointing, i won't dispute that. but the raiders didn't want the game today in the first place - they asked the NRL to make it on another night to avoid the clash. the NRL didn't listen.

friday night, with the drawing power of the broncos and the big win today, i'd expect over 20k, despite the ridiculous 8.30pm kick off.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Your highly stupid,if people are choosing to go to a race meeting over a Raiders game then that means the NRL isn't a good enough product for those people.

sh*t crowd,end of story.

clarency

Juniors
Your highly stupid,if people are choosing to go to a race meeting over a Raiders game then that means the NRL isn't a good enough product for those people.

sh*t crowd,end of story.

.... Then it isn't a good enough product for those people then, isn't it.

fanatique

Juniors

sh*t crowd,end of story.

I know you are a bit of a flog Haynetrain but you are right. We live in a developed country with many leisure choices. We can't go on pointing out that such choices exist as if they explain relatively poor attendances. There were 13,000 at Canberra because 13,000 people thought a Round 1 NRL game was worth their money, time and interest. Simple as that.

bobmar28

Bench
The Titans memberships have grown by over 2000 so how can having the same crowd as last year be fine? especially when your playing the world champs

We have record attendances so there is nothing to complain about. Btw would you like to discuss TV ratings for your beloved yawnion v league?

Moffo

Referee
We are 11k off breaking the all time record. How about all the whingers in this thread sit down and take in a big cup of stfu

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
2 points about the Canberra crowd.

Firstly, Canberra management should have informed or requested to the NRL that Black Opal race day was on this weekend and that they would prefer a different day for the match or an away game to start the season

Secondly, weather and tyranny of distance are a legitimate factor in Canberra's lower than NRL average crowds. As a parent there is no way I'm going to take my brood out to Canberra stadium on a freezing night to watch the game. Most times I've ventured there on a cold Saturday night most people have had the same idea with most of the crowd made up of adults. June/July night football in Canberra is deadset freezing, a reason why raiders management has tried to have more sunday arvo games through that period.

A lot of country folk, those from Cooma, Cootamundra, Wagga, Albury and other regional centres are Raiders fans. Its a 4hr + round trip (at least) to get to the game and most only make the trip once or twice a year if at all. Canberra is one side that would definitely benefit from a set draw so that people from these outlying areas can organise their trips in advance.

Any other excuses like 'beach holidays' are stretching it. 13500 may not be a great crowd but compared to recent first up raiders crowds how does it compare?

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
There is a difference between a one off race day (biggest local of the year) and 1/12 Raiders games (arguably against the worst opposition).

The better judge will be this weekend when they have a better side to play with and against.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I thought the Canberra crowd was fine. They were playing Cronulla ffs.

There is no way I would ever pay to attend a match involving that useless club.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Please NRL don't give us any Sunday Afternoon games in the first couple of rounds. Penrith is the hottest part of Sydney and yesterday was just ridiculous.

Under the Eastern Grandstand resembled a hospital at some stages. We simply don't have enough shade to protect us from the heat.

Raiderdave

First Grade
2 points about the Canberra crowd.

Firstly, Canberra management should have informed or requested to the NRL that Black Opal race day was on this weekend and that they would prefer a different day for the match or an away game to start the season

Secondly, weather and tyranny of distance are a legitimate factor in Canberra's lower than NRL average crowds. As a parent there is no way I'm going to take my brood out to Canberra stadium on a freezing night to watch the game. Most times I've ventured there on a cold Saturday night most people have had the same idea with most of the crowd made up of adults. June/July night football in Canberra is deadset freezing, a reason why raiders management has tried to have more sunday arvo games through that period.

A lot of country folk, those from Cooma, Cootamundra, Wagga, Albury and other regional centres are Raiders fans. Its a 4hr + round trip (at least) to get to the game and most only make the trip once or twice a year if at all. Canberra is one side that would definitely benefit from a set draw so that people from these outlying areas can organise their trips in advance.

Any other excuses like 'beach holidays' are stretching it. 13500 may not be a great crowd but compared to recent first up raiders crowds how does it compare?

yeah look... it was about 10% down on expectations as most crowds this round ( with the exception of the Warriors crowd) have been

it was hot ( 30c at kickoff ) the races were on & it was a long weekend so all things being equal ... it was OK.

2 years ago the Raiders wouldn't have cracked 10K for an opening rnd game V the Sharks , & if they'd played their 2nd round Friday night game against the Broncos 2 years ago they would have drawn yesterdays crowd of 13.5K

well get close to 20K next week given a fine night
so this clearly shows the height in interest in the Raiders in Canberra quite clearly now ... doesn't it :)

Bluebags1908

Juniors
???

Titans v Dragons was almost the same as it was last year. It was a fine crowd.

Storm v Sea Eagles was fine too - it was almost the same total for last years match between these two

I find it strange how you can talk down the Storm crowd, but talk up the Raiders 13k as C. Admitedly it was against the worst team in the comp, and several players were missing, I think in those circumstances its a reasonable crowd for Canberra.

The Panthers are not a big club for attendences. I am happy if they can average greater than 12k this year. You ain't exactly going to get a lot of travelling Knights fans to this one. Especially when they are probably hanging out for a home game in their refurbished stadium

EDIT - just on Storm vs Sea Eagles, what do you recon the same game would draw at that Sh!thole Brookvale?

That's your opinion. I diagree.

And Canberra got a C because their city is about 10 times smaller than Melboune and only got less that 1,000 less than Melbourne did again a poor-drawing side (Cronulla) and on a long weekend. You can sugar-coat the Melbourne crowd all you like, but it was a crap crowd for a round 1 game.

Perhaps if it was a mid-season game it would have been respectable and rated a C.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiders crowd is a disgrace,looks even less then what the spastic Brumbies got against the Chiefs in there opening round match,Rebels playing a South African side got a better crowd then the Storm and the Brumbies playing a kiwi side got a better crowd then the Raiders,absolute disgrace.

the spastic brumbies didn't play in 30c heat , with canberras version of the melbourne cup on at the same time .. on a long weekend

if they did

they wouldn't have got 8K
the brumbies are finished as a force in the capital .. it took 15 years
but league has won the battle ... game ova
nuff said :D

Raiderdave

First Grade
so what do we need tonight to crack the mile stone 200K mark for a single round attendance ??

Friday 73,822
Sat 74,472
Sun 25,881

total.... 174,475

25,525 required tonight , might get it ... might just miss out too
the searing heat yesterday buggered it up ... both games would have cracked 15K if it was 10c cooler

Bluebags1908

Juniors
???

Titans v Dragons was almost the same as it was last year. It was a fine crowd.

Storm v Sea Eagles was fine too - it was almost the same total for last years match between these two

I find it strange how you can talk down the Storm crowd, but talk up the Raiders 13k as C. Admitedly it was against the worst team in the comp, and several players were missing, I think in those circumstances its a reasonable crowd for Canberra.

The Panthers are not a big club for attendences. I am happy if they can average greater than 12k this year. You ain't exactly going to get a lot of travelling Knights fans to this one. Especially when they are probably hanging out for a home game in their refurbished stadium

EDIT - just on Storm vs Sea Eagles, what do you recon the same game would draw at that Sh!thole Brookvale?

"Panthers are not a big club for attendances" - since when was that an excuse for poor crowds? Sorry, not good enought - they need to turn their club around and become a big club for attendances.

Storm vs Sea Eagles at Brookvale I would expect a crowd of 16,000 to be decent for a round 1 game, and would have rated a B.

You can't compare the Northern Beaches fanbase and market with the Melbourne one. A city of 3 million and the so called "home of Australian sport" in a centrally located, brand new state-of-the-art stadium with excellent transport links all over the city to the venue, should have got a much bigger crowd for round 1. Like I said, if the Storm were mid-table and the game was mid-season then it would have been acceptable, but not for a round 1 game.

Evenflow

Bench
???

This. It's also the highest regular season crowd the Storm have ever drawn against Manly down here and 2000 up on the overall average against them here. Not to mention it's also a long weekend in Melbourne as well so if the poster you quoted is using that as an excuse for Canberra's crowd then for the sake of not looking like a hypocrite surely he'd have to take that into consideration as well for the Storm crowd. Doubt it though......

Perth Red

Post Whore
makes me laugh that people moan about crowds like the Canberra and Storm ones yet laud the Roosters or Bulldogs (presuming it goes over 20k). Reality is most clubs are drawing the same number of home fans, just Sydney has the advantage of also getting an equal number of away fans at some games. Take the Roosters game, there was prob in the region of 15k Roosters fans and 13k Sth's fans. Not much different to the number of Canberra or Storm fans that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts