What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the new tv deal provides an increase in surplus cash, marketing games should be a priority. Look at the swans, they take DT and SMH adds, tv adverts for individual games and average 30k in a city largley disconnected from Australian rules. Treat the games like an event and more people would/should/could rock up. Clubs should saturate the local media with adverts in radio, papers, leaflets. Most importantly push ticket offers.

Also maybe a campaign like "get to the game" by the NRL similar to the memberhsip campaigns would be a good idea.

$$$$

I'd say clubs are on tight budgets for this, I don't think they are completely stupid enough to have not thought about these things

hopefully with new tv deal coming through the NRL can give greater allowances for advertising/marketing of games (or start giving them if they don't already)

Brutus

Referee
WTF?

They have just under 20,000 members - the Bulldogs have only 13,500 from memory... yet the Bulldogs are averaging 25,000 and Souths 18,000 so far?

I know they've only had one home game but the 'Dogs consistently average more than Souths with only 60-70% odd of members in comparison.

Point being, there's plenty of Souths fans who simply don't bother turning up when their side is on the ropes.

Russell signs Souths members up from all over the world.

Some of them don't even know what RL is.

I don't think the likes of Pamela Anderson or Bon Jovi will be attending anytime soon.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The Bulldogs and Tigers are the highest drawing teams in Sydney. Souths have a fairweather fanbase, so do Parramatta.
Our average attendance was all of 731 less than the Tigers in 2010, they were a top 4 team, we missed the 8....

Brutus

Referee
I wonder what Souths would be averaging with the same results at the SFS.

As much as I love the SFS, I reckon it would be a little less.

I reckon they benefit from having a home ground closer to some of the westy clubs.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Homebush is the geographic centre of the city. It is the logical place to have your homeground. I'm glade we play there, we have a worldclass stadium with worldclass facilities and we make plenty of money out of it with no expenses.

ouwet

Bench
While i'm not saying it was a sh*t crowd today at ANZ it certainly wasn't a great crowd 2 Sydney teams with one of them being last years Grand Finalists and the other who are flying high on top of the ladder undefeated. It did rain a bit heavily at one stage there in the game but so what? We're playing a winter f**king sport so what do you expect? I also noticed it was pretty clear and even sunny for most of the game so it's hardly an excuse for just the ok crowd it got.

Realistically out of the 23,700 at ANZ today 700 would've been Roosters supporters!! I've never seen so few away fans at ANZ (Out of the Sydney teams)... IF the Roosters brought 7K we would've cracked 30K (Which is what we'd take to the SFS at a Minimum)!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Realistically out of the 23,700 at ANZ today 700 would've been Roosters supporters!! I've never seen so few away fans at ANZ (Out of the Sydney teams)... IF the Roosters brought 7K we would've cracked 30K (Which is what we'd take to the SFS at a Minimum)!

I'm surprised there were so few there, given it was the 2000th game and it was a decent day. Bulldogs fans really are setting the bar for turning out in big numbers in sydney lately. Your next two home games are souths and the dragons so 30k + to both of them is not unrealistic.

Red Bear

Referee
$$$$

I'd say clubs are on tight budgets for this, I don't think they are completely stupid enough to have not thought about these things

hopefully with new tv deal coming through the NRL can give greater allowances for advertising/marketing of games (or start giving them if they don't already)
Usually ads in the Herald on the weekend about various games (often the Sunday Sydney match).

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fans like suburban stadiums, look at the uproar from Dragons fans every time a game is taken away from Kogarah, look at their response to playing at ANZ a few years ago. It was sh*t. Why would you take away something that your paying customers obviously want?

Evidence would suggest otherwise. The lowest drawing games and clubs tend to be the ones played in/at suburban grounds.

Lowest drawing clubs are Penrith, Manly, Cronulla.
Highest drawing clubs are Canterbury, Wests and Roosters/Souths
Spot who plays at suburban grounds and who plays at new central stadia

Parra and St George are the two anomalies (when doing well), maybe because their grounds are suburban but semi modern?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Our average attendance was all of 731 less than the Tigers in 2010, they were a top 4 team, we missed the 8....
Yet they play four matches at a 46k seat stadium, and 8 matches at 20k capacity suburban grounds. You play all your games at ANZ Stadium. Woeful given your membership base. Even worse given the Tigers' membership base.
Homebush is the geographic centre of the city. It is the logical place to have your homeground. I'm glade we play there, we have a worldclass stadium with worldclass facilities and we make plenty of money out of it with no expenses.
Western Sydney is the logical place for the South Sydney Rabbitohs to play?
Evidence would suggest otherwise. The lowest drawing games and clubs tend to be the ones played in/at suburban grounds.

Lowest drawing clubs are Penrith, Manly, Cronulla.
Highest drawing clubs are Canterbury, Wests and Roosters/Souths
Spot who plays at suburban grounds and who plays at new central stadia

Parra and St George are the two anomalies (when doing well), maybe because their grounds are suburban but semi modern?
Roosters among the highest drawing? :|

Serc

First Grade
How many mm's of rain have to fall before it becomes an excuse for an average crowd? It's becoming a more and more common theme these days around here that as soon as we have even a passing shower or two that it makes it acceptable to have sh*t crowds every week when it rains.

We're playing a winter f**king sport so what do you expect? I also noticed it was pretty clear and even sunny for most of the game so it's hardly an excuse for just the ok crowd it got.

Here's some weather stats that may be of use to you all re: crowds

The first half of the year in Sydney is by far the wettest 6 months of the year. Once you hit the area around Ryde/Strathfield/Homebush westwards the first 3 (Jan-Mar) of those 6 months usually record a little more than the following 3. In the city/along the coast, the latter 3 (May/June/July) tend to record a little more.

The good news is that there is a rapid dropoff in rainfall from July into August, with the 3 driest months of the year (Aug/Sept/Oct) also happen to coincide with the business end of the NRL season.

Now to QLD, and the general rule there is that the entire NRL season almost perfectly fits in with the driest 6 months of the year, as the 'dry' season affects most of the state, and even in the south where Brisbane and the Gold Coast are, there are still strong effects in the winter months (I noticed that there was little to no 'weather' at all during winter when I first moved up here)

beave

Coach
Here's some weather stats that may be of use to you all re: crowds

The first half of the year in Sydney is by far the wettest 6 months of the year. Once you hit the area around Ryde/Strathfield/Homebush westwards the first 3 (Jan-Mar) of those 6 months usually record a little more than the following 3. In the city/along the coast, the latter 3 (May/June/July) tend to record a little more.

The good news is that there is a rapid dropoff in rainfall from July into August, with the 3 driest months of the year (Aug/Sept/Oct) also happen to coincide with the business end of the NRL season.

Now to QLD, and the general rule there is that the entire NRL season almost perfectly fits in with the driest 6 months of the year, as the 'dry' season affects most of the state, and even in the south where Brisbane and the Gold Coast are, there are still strong effects in the winter months (I noticed that there was little to no 'weather' at all during winter when I first moved up here)

ever been north of the Tropic of Capricorn this time of year????

dry season indeed....................

Serc

First Grade
HAHA yeah can be pretty wet still in March up there (and down here for that matter at times as well) as we would both know :) I had actually typed 5 out of the 6 driest months for QLD before getting rid of it, as I felt I'd already gone into too much detail as it was!

beave

Coach
no worries mate, I was just messing around.

The wet season up here ends in April-ish, it's not like the seasons end is carved in stone, but I find ANZAC day is generally about the end of our wet season, though it still rains throughout the year but nothing like the hotter months. We are lucky up here though, it is warm enough when it rains that it's not that uncomfortable, but when it rains, it generally pisses down in copious amounts. We just don't have a lot of under cover seating up here, I think they really need to look at chucking some roofs on the Eastern Stand to start with, might even help with the crowd noise staying in the stadium, at the moment any crowd noise just dissipates into the sky so it doesn't sound very loud up here compared to other grounds I have been to.

Serc

First Grade
I'm guessing why they might not have bothered at DFS is because 90-95% of games there would be played in perfectly fine weather, and thinking that is a 'smart' way to cut costs, either forgetting or weighing up the crowd noise issue and feeling its not worth the bother!

Here's something that shows you how wet it has been lately, in the fortnight leading up to the Knights game in round 2, you guys picked up approx 500mm, which is just under half your annual rainfall!

bobmar28

Bench
What's the point of representing an area if you play out of a soulless cavern that takes over an hour to travel to. Souffs are f**ked, I would be furious if my club tried to pull that sh*t.

Suburban grounds ftw.

Images of people standing on hills to watch a game belong in the first half of the last century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts