What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Isn't there 8.30 kickoff times at some stage, i remember there were last season
As I said, daylight savings. That means sometimes, to fit with 7:30pm QLD live, NSW games might kick off at 8:30 if they feature a QLD team.

6pm kickoff for the cowboys? Great scheduling. Add on some terrible weather and sh*t form and well what do you expect?
This has been gone over a number of times. The Cowboys were forced to move this game due to the incompetence of Stadiums QLD, who scheduled Nitro Circus for Saturday night. As a result, they negotiated with WT to swap (WT v Canberra was originally tonight).

To compensate FOX for their 7pm NSW start, the Cowboys had to start the game at 6pm.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Two in one round actually, only 9k at Penrith too.

Round 3 - Mar 25-28
Friday 25 March
Eels 18 lost to Rabbitohs 32 @ ANZ Stadium, 7:30pm CH9 - 22,153
Titans 8 lost to Broncos 14 @ Skilled Park, 8:30pm CH9 - 20,226
Saturday 26 March
Panthers 12 lost to Sharks 44 @ Centrebet Stadium Penrith, 5:30pm FOX Sports - 9,275
Tigers 34 def Raiders 24 @ Campbelltown Sports Stadium, 7:30pm FOX Sports - 14,091
Sunday 27 March
Warriors 12 lost to Dragons 25 @ Mt Smart Stadium, 12:00pm FOX Sports - 11,651
Bulldogs 24 def Roosters 20 @ ANZ Stadium, 2:00pm FOX Sports - 23,723
Sea Eagles 26 def Knights 12 @ Brookvale Oval, 3:00pm CH9 - 13,087
Monday 28 March
Cowboys 34 def Storm 6 @ Dairy Farmers Stadium, 7:00pm FOX Sports - 9,554
Crowd aggregate R3: 123,760; Crowd average R3: 15,470
Season aggregate: 438,175; Season average: 18,257

Stats from Fixtures & Crowd Watch thread: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=371571

beave

Coach
anyone bagging out the crowd tonight needs a slap to the chops. How the f**k anyone was supposed to get there for a 6:15pm kick off???? Again blame stadiums QLD for this sh*t, they are bloody useless. We normally get about 17-19k for the Storm games, this has cost us a small fortune,

9554 for a Monday is decent consindering it was a 6pm start and QLD stadium's idiocy with Nitro Circus. All MNF should be 7pm starts or at latest 7.30pm. 6pm in NQ is absurd and hopefully this will be the last MNF in Townsville for a long,long,time.

beave

Coach
we should be excused from playing Monday nights up here or only given one for the year and for that game give us someone who doesn't normally draw a crowd like a knights or panthers game (no offence to fans of those teams but there aren't a lot of people interested in those 2 teams) so that the damage to the clubs hip pocket is minimized. What happened over the last 5 months with this whole saga shows just how incompetent the manager of DFS really is, but there's nothing the club can do about it, stadiums QLD are untouchable.

mave

Coach
we should be excused from playing Monday nights up here or only given one for the year and for that game give us someone who doesn't normally draw a crowd like a knights or panthers game (no offence to fans of those teams but there aren't a lot of people interested in those 2 teams) so that the damage to the clubs hip pocket is minimized. What happened over the last 5 months with this whole saga shows just how incompetent the manager of DFS really is, but there's nothing the club can do about it, stadiums QLD are untouchable.

Yep, you and Bulldogs Force should go and start your own comp, where every other team plays on Monday nights.

Seriously, Monday nights affect the potential crowd every week for every host team. Stop your bitching.

beave

Coach
way to miss the point brainiac.

Some teams actually go alright when it comes to crowds on Monday nights, Canberra is one straight off the top of my head. Unfortunately for a place like NQ, it's a rather large area to draw fans from, it has been proven that fans will turn up to the games here if given the opportunity on a Saturday night. People drive a hell of a long way to get to our games, they simply cannot make it on Mondays.I'm not saying get rid of Monday night games altogether, but a club like NQ should be given the bare minimum. Sydney clubs seem to like the Sunday arvo games as opposed to Saturday night games, fine, that suits us to a tea.

just out of curiosity, how many Broncos games have been held on a Monday night since it became a regular timeslot. The only one I can think off the top of my head is against the Sharks 2 years ago.

Last edited:

j5o6hn

Juniors
I watched the game on Fox in WA and it looked to me like it was belting down with rain,am I right or wrong and 9000 would be good in that weather

beave

Coach
yeah, it was pissing down at times. Whilst the weather played it's part, we've had plenty of games in teh past that have had rain like that or worse and we've still gotten 17-20k. It was the kick off time of 6pm and the fact it was a Monday night that killed the crowd tonight.

Just to throw this in, it has been a rubbish wet season this year, I haven't seen sunny 2 days straight for over 5 months, it gets f**king depressing let me tell you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What they should do is work out how much Monday night is worth in the Fox contract. They should then ringfence most of that money to give to clubs to A) promote Monday night games B) Subsidise all tickets so they are $10 any seat C) Offer a $25,000 HT draw. Monday nights must be worth a shed load to Fox ($250k+ a week in the contract?) so lets use that money to support the clubs to make it work for everyone, not just Foxsports.

ps I love it, nothing to get you through a first day back at work like getting home cracking a beer and watching a game.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Blame Queensland Stadiums. The game was originally scheduled for 7:30pm Saturday... Queensland Stadiums double booked and the Cowboys lost out to motorcross or something...

then surely stadiums QLD would of had to of compensated the Cowboys
& they get $40K from the NRL for it being a MNF game too

so no fortune lost here

I'd doubt it would have drawn many more then 13,500 on a fine Sat night.

mave

Coach
way to miss the point brainiac.

Some teams actually go alright when it comes to crowds on Monday nights, Canberra is one straight off the top of my head. Unfortunately for a place like NQ, it's a rather large area to draw fans from, it has been proven that fans will turn up to the games here if given the opportunity on a Saturday night. People drive a hell of a long way to get to our games, they simply cannot make it on Mondays.I'm not saying get rid of Monday night games altogether, but a club like NQ should be given the bare minimum. Sydney clubs seem to like the Sunday arvo games as opposed to Saturday night games, fine, that suits us to a tea.

just out of curiosity, how many Broncos games have been held on a Monday night since it became a regular timeslot. The only one I can think off the top of my head is against the Sharks 2 years ago.

Lucky for the ACT it only takes 30-40 mins to cross from Gungahlin (north)to Tuggeranong (south).

If only the same could be said for Sydney. Anyone sitting on the M4, M5 or Neutral Bay Rd will understand that it can also be very difficult for the average punter to get home and then back out to the footy by 7pm.

It puts a lot of wavering supporters off, as it is too hard.

I understand that NQ suffers from the tyranny of distance, but your not the only club with Monday night issues.

So if you think that NQ should be excused or only have to play 1 MNF then why not everyone else. Except for Canberra, of course :)

Cowboys certanly deserve some form of compensation for Monday nights, given the unique travel distances their fans face. Another instance of where we let Nine dictate the terms of our competition to the detriment of supporters...while allowing them to deliberately suppress coverage of our game in the non-league states without a murmur of protest. Could you imagine the AFL copping this situation?

gronkathon

First Grade
Hopefully that performance goes a long way to redeeming them to their fan base and they get a bumper crowd next home game

Raiderdave

First Grade
Broncos V Panthers 27,500
Souths V Manly 18,500
Raiders V Titans 12,500
Parra V Cowboys 10,000
Sharks V Warriors ??? in Taupo NZ so a bit of an unknown.. 12,500
Knights V Dragons 30,000 ( opening of new stand )
Roosters V Tigers 20,000
Melb V Bulldogs 15,000

145K odd at average of 18,100

Status
Not open for further replies.