What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

firechild

First Grade
Maybe.....maybe not, but I like your thinking.

Raider Dave has made some very good points too, despite copping it from 1 or 2 flat earthers....

No one wants to abandon the suburban gounds completely and I don't believe we will, but I firmly believe that the NRL needs a stadium policy for Sydney where teams with big rivalries play at appropriate venues on appropriate days.

Some good idea here and I'm sure the ARLC are thinking along these lines anyway.

Appropriate days is the key here. Before the season one of the games that was circled by many was Manly v Melbourne at Brookvale oval. Drew a capacity crowd last year and with the battle of Brookie being the last meeting between last year's premiers vs last year's minor premiers yet it end up getting not much more than 12K because it's scheduled for a bloody Monday night.

Frailty

First Grade
Maybe.....maybe not, but I like your thinking.

Raider Dave has made some very good points too, despite copping it from 1 or 2 flat earthers....

No one wants to abandon the suburban gounds completely and I don't believe we will, but I firmly believe that the NRL needs a stadium policy for Sydney where teams with big rivalries play at appropriate venues on appropriate days.

Some good idea here and I'm sure the ARLC are thinking along these lines anyway.

I have never argued against having a 'game of the round' played at one of the larger grounds and to make a big day of it... But there is no way that the NRL can have a two stadium policy in Sydney like the AFL does in Melbourne.

H.H

Juniors
I have never argued against having a 'game of the round' played at one of the larger grounds and to make a big day of it... But there is no way that the NRL can have a two stadium policy in Sydney like the AFL does in Melbourne.
Agree 100% - happy balance is what we need and Raider Dave's earlier post was pretty much spot on in its thinking..

On the other point re. appropriate venues, Easts play Soufss twice on a monday night this year....un-f**king-acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't we celebrate this rivalry more? 105 years FFS....sureley that's worth something.

Last night was another example. Full house last year on Friday night. Just dumb.

M2D2

Bench
Raiderdave Wasnt correct.
Its simple supply/demand. Until the demand more than the supply, there is no need to move ANY game.
The fact remains SFS/ANZ will charge the punter more than the suburban grounds. The clubs will make less money from that game if it isnt a sellout as they will have to pay further rent. Less people are likely to go to the atmosphere void of those stadiums.
For all we talk about crowds, most people prefer to watch games at home. ESPECIALLY Monday Night games. And until we take the power away from Fox/Nein. The status will remain quo.

bazza

Immortal
Raiderdave Wasnt correct.
Its simple supply/demand. Until the demand more than the supply, there is no need to move ANY game.
The fact remains SFS/ANZ will charge the punter more than the suburban grounds. The clubs will make less money from that game if it isnt a sellout as they will have to pay further rent. Less people are likely to go to the atmosphere void of those stadiums.
For all we talk about crowds, most people prefer to watch games at home. ESPECIALLY Monday Night games. And until we take the power away from Fox/Nein. The status will remain quo.

People demand a seat with a view of the game that is dry and conveniant to get to. The supply of such seats is low

There seems to be a large supply of damp dirt with average views of the game in out of the way places. Demand doesn't seem to be as high for those

Frailty

First Grade
People demand a seat with a view of the game that is dry and conveniant to get to. The supply of such seats is low

There seems to be a large supply of damp dirt with average views of the game in out of the way places. Demand doesn't seem to be as high for those

Grounds I prefer over ANZ/SFS Stadium:

Toyota Park, Leichhardt Oval, OKI Jubilee, Parramatta Stadium, Centrebet Stadium, Campbelltown Sports Ground, Bluetongue Stadium.

I don't mind the SFS, but ANZ is a f**king shithole that destroys games.

jimmee007

Juniors
agree with Bazza. There is a shortage of seating and I know in my family my eldery parents and my wife wont watch footy from a hill, but are happy to go when we have seats.

Also, I love the idea of having a blockbuster Friday night game at either ANZ or Allianz. My mates and myself all went to the bulldogs/eels games at ANZ a few fridays ago to catch up over a few beers. (even though none of us go for either team) If we have these games going on consistantly it may become the new place to have a few drinks on a friday instead of the pub.

bazza

Immortal
Toyota Park, Leichhardt Oval, OKI Jubilee, Parramatta Stadium, Centrebet Stadium, Campbelltown Sports Ground, Bluetongue Stadium.
The small areas in those grounds that contain covered seats seem to be the seats that are almost always sold first

Teddyboy

First Grade
In 1970, Australia's population was about 12.5 million, it is now about 21.5 million. Surely that would be a significant contributing factor, along with the fact it is now much easier for fans to get to games (particularly away games)?

Sydney's population has doubled (1.9mill to 3.8mill) since 1955 (the closest number I could find to 1957).
But more people have TV's nowadays.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grounds I prefer over ANZ/SFS Stadium:

I don't mind the SFS, but ANZ is a f**king shithole that destroys games.

It's a shame you are in a minority!

M2D2

Bench
It's a shame you are in a minority!
Hes really not.
Lets have a look how well souths do at ANZ and Roosters do at SFS.
People who support their clubs would rather Stay in the area rather than go to SFS/ANZ.
Look at the numbers of away fans travelling as a guide.

cleary89

Coach
Lol at people thinking neutrals would go to watch games. Travelling to homebush is shit house at the best of times, let alone when your going to watch 2 teams you hate. If you at least put it at sfs then you could make a night out of it.

What were dragons crowds like the year we played at anz? Would that debunk that morons theory that if you play in big stadiums people will come?

mattyg

Bench
I love the idea of this blockbuster game on Friday night...every week. We could really make it into a big event, both clubs members get free entry, any other clubs members get discounted entry, make it an event like atmosphere. There is easily 26 blockbusters that could fill these games:

Bulldogs v Eels (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Dragons (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Souths (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Tigers (ANZ)
Souths v Roosters (either ANZ or Allianz, depends on home team)
Dragons v Roosters (Allianz)
Tigers v Eels (ANZ)
Souths v Eels (ANZ)
Eels v Panthers (ANZ)
Sharks v Dragons (Allianz)
Manly v Eels (ANZ or Allianz, depends on home team)
Dragons v Souths (ANZ or Allianz, depends on home team)
Eels v Dragons (ANZ)

That is 13 right there, play twice each on Friday Night, or even think about some other potential decent crowd drawing games and turn these into 30k + games regularly. Bulldogs v Roosters has pulled 36k before and Bulldogs v Manly regularly over 20k. Panthers v Tigers is another game with a bit of potential.

In the next 5-10 years (probably with another QLD team + Perth) we should be having something like:

Fri 7.30pm - Sydney Blockbuster
Fri 7.30pm - Brisbane Blockbuster/(Perth Game or other game) rotating it around so Broncos aren't on every damn Friday Night.

Sat 5.30pm - Warriors Game LIVE
Sat 7.30pm
Sat 9.30pm - Perth Game LIVE

Sun 2.00pm
Sun 2.00pm
Sun 4.00pm - Possibly a mini Sydney blockbuster?

Mon 7.00pm

Wouldn't complain if they scap Monday Night for Sunday Night. Would rate the same IMO and will add a bit to attendances as people aren't scrambling home from work to make the game. I can imagine something like this for a schedule (with some possible crowds in italics by say 2020):

Fri 7.30pm - Bulldogs v Eels (ANZ) - 50k
Fri 7.30pm - Broncos v Cowboys (Suncorp) - 50k
Sat 5.30pm - Warriors v Storm (Mt Smart/Eden Park) - 30k
Sat 7.30pm - Brisbane 2 v Titans (Suncorp) - 30k
Sat 9.30pm - Perth v Raiders (NIB Stadium) - 20k
Sun 2.00pm - Tigers v Panthers (ANZ) - 30-35k
Sun 2.00pm - Knights v Sea Eagles (Hunter) - 30k
Sun 4.00pm - Dragons v Sharks (Allianz) - 30-35k
Mon 7.00pm - Souths v Roosters (at Allianz if on a Monday Night) 35-40k

Total - 305-320k
Average - 33,889 - 35,556 avg

I think that is really something achievable over the next 8 years with expansion, new TV deal and better promotion and scheduling of games.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Awesome post mate...

Wish people like u actually worked at the nrl....

I love the idea of this blockbuster game on Friday night...every week. We could really make it into a big event, both clubs members get free entry, any other clubs members get discounted entry, make it an event like atmosphere. There is easily 26 blockbusters that could fill these games:

Bulldogs v Eels (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Dragons (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Souths (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Tigers (ANZ)
Tigers v Eels (ANZ)
Souths v Eels (ANZ)
Eels v Panthers (ANZ)
Eels v Dragons (ANZ)

That is 13 right there, play twice each on Friday Night, or even think about some other potential decent crowd drawing games and turn these into 30k + games regularly. Bulldogs v Roosters has pulled 36k before and Bulldogs v Manly regularly over 20k. Panthers v Tigers is another game with a bit of potential.

In the next 5-10 years (probably with another QLD team + Perth) we should be having something like:

Fri 7.30pm - Sydney Blockbuster
Fri 7.30pm - Brisbane Blockbuster/(Perth Game or other game) rotating it around so Broncos aren't on every damn Friday Night.

Sat 5.30pm - Warriors Game LIVE
Sat 7.30pm
Sat 9.30pm - Perth Game LIVE

Sun 2.00pm
Sun 2.00pm
Sun 4.00pm - Possibly a mini Sydney blockbuster?

Mon 7.00pm

Wouldn't complain if they scap Monday Night for Sunday Night. Would rate the same IMO and will add a bit to attendances as people aren't scrambling home from work to make the game. I can imagine something like this for a schedule (with some possible crowds in italics by say 2020):

Fri 7.30pm - Bulldogs v Eels (ANZ) - 50k
Fri 7.30pm - Broncos v Cowboys (Suncorp) - 50k
Sat 5.30pm - Warriors v Storm (Mt Smart/Eden Park) - 30k
Sat 7.30pm - Brisbane 2 v Titans (Suncorp) - 30k
Sat 9.30pm - Perth v Raiders (NIB Stadium) - 20k
Sun 2.00pm - Tigers v Panthers (ANZ) - 30-35k
Sun 2.00pm - Knights v Sea Eagles (Hunter) - 30k
Sun 4.00pm - Dragons v Sharks (Allianz) - 30-35k
Mon 7.00pm - Souths v Roosters (at Allianz if on a Monday Night) 35-40k

Total - 305-320k
Average - 33,889 - 35,556 avg

I think that is really something achievable over the next 8 years with expansion, new TV deal and better promotion and scheduling of games.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Brisbane V Souths 36k (should be 40k+)
Dragons V Titans 14k
Cowboys V Canberra 14k
Penrith V Parra 16k
Bulldogs V Melbourne 12k
Roosters V Manly 13k
Newcastle V Wests 17k

While there has been some criticism of the 1 V 2 game being in Mackay and the crowd it would have got at ANZ. Personally i think there is a certain romance to Mackay hosting it. That a country town/city in queensland gets to host a game of that magnitude is fantastic especially when a few of the players hail from there. A lot of the games thrown to "expansion areas" in the past by the NRL and especially the AFL are hardly glamour ties so this opportunity for Mackay is fantastic.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Brisbane crowd looks like it will be shit...

Pax of 10minutes ago - 29,150. Don't know why, as a Broncos supporter I'm annoyed and confused.

age.s

First Grade

Bulldogs v Eels (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Dragons (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Souths (ANZ)
Bulldogs v Tigers (ANZ)
Tigers v Eels (ANZ)
Souths v Eels (ANZ)
Eels v Panthers (ANZ)
Eels v Dragons (ANZ)

If the NRL decide to go down that path it has to be equitable. Watching the Eels, Dragons or Bulldogs every Friday will be about as fun as watching the Broncos. How about something like this.

Bulldogs v Eels
Bulldogs v Tigers
Bulldogs v Roosters
Panthers v Eels
Panthers v Tigers
Eels v Tigers
Manly v Roosters
Manly v Souths
Manly vs Dragons
Dragons v Souths
Sharks v Dragons
Sharks v Souths
Sharks v Roosters

You could swap Sharks/Roosters with Panthers/Roosters (East v West) or Panthers/Sharks (year of 67) but I think you get the point. The problem with the current system is that the less popular teams have less chance to build a fan base because they're rarely on FTA. That has to be addressed with the next tv deal.

I reckon a weekly event game would work better on a Saturday. It's too easy to stay at home and watch the game on a Friday after a long day of work, particularly for the neutral supporter. Saturday is a better night for going out, the game won't be on FTA either increasing the chance of a neutral supporter using their free/discounted ticket.

That being said going to a packed Penrith Park to watch us play the Eels is something I mark down in my calendar from a long long way off. It's a fantastic night and it would lose something if it was at ANZ.

juro

Bench
To make it interesting, you could have each Sydney club nominate two of their games as the Sydney blockbuster game of the round, which would be played on a Friday night at Homebush or the SFS at some stage during the year. That is 18 weeks out of 26 covered.

Now, at the end of the year, the games with the 17 highest attendances are awarded by being an automatic blockbuster game of the round for the following year, and the clubs get to nominate 1 more game each, bringing us to 26 rounds covered in the second year.

Thereafter, the top 17 attendances each year for these blockbusters is renewed for the next year. I guess it could be possible that a club could end up playing a lot of Friday night games if their fans kept turning up. And as a bare minimum, every Sydney club would get at least 1 Friday night game.

The thing with this is that it would encourage the fans to turn up, for both home and away games. The competition between clubs would drive the fans to do their bit. I see this as very healthy competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.