What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
So Brisbane gets 1 game a year that improves their average. Meanwhile the CC Bears would have away fans boosting numbers 10 teams.

I suspected that the intellect of one of you or timmah wouldn't grasp my point.

Having two sides in the city of Brisbane may encourage and solidify the support of Rugby League in the city. Separating supporters into two opposing tribes would reinforce and strengthen the position of each. Cities the world over thrive on such dichotomy e.g New York, Glasgow, Milan, Beunos Aires, Liverpool, Manchester and at home Adelaide and particularly Perth. There are no reason why a similar thing would not happen in Brisbane, and many reasons that it would.

It wouldn't happen immediately, but over time the proposition is that support for the Brisbane Broncos would increase with the introduction of a second side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No I meant to say the hundreds/thousands of bears fans that would show up to every Bears game in Sydney. Extra hundreds/thousands to every Bears away game.

You could have the 14 Bombers/Ipswich away fans who'll come to our games when they play us, or you'll have the hundreds or thousands of Bears fans at every Bears away game between Newcastle and Wollongong.

A new SEQLD team would improve one or two teams crowds once or twice a season. The Bears would improve the crowds for 10 teams at least 10 times a year.

Not sure a few thousand $'s once a year for each club is a good or strategic reason to use a valuable and rare expansion spot on an 11th nsw club. As you say most games a few hundred old time bears fans will go along to Sydney games.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
When the crushers came into the comp in 95, the Broncos averaged 35,902 while the crushers with a shit side averaged 21,029.

That says to me there is room for another team.
In what year?

Very, very different world now.

Not sure a few thousand $'s once a year for each club is a good or strategic reason to use a valuable and rare expansion spot on an 11th nsw club. As you say most games a few hundred old time bears fans will go along to Sydney games.
Funny how it jumps from 8 Sydney clubs to 11 NSW clubs (assuming Canberra are "NSW") just make the argument sound more convincing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Either way, adding another is not what the ARLC will do IMO. Time will tell and if Bears get in I will applaud the fans and club for the great efforts their bid has made. Just can't see beyond Perth and Brisbane personally and bringing it back to the thread I think both have the potential to increase the comp crowd avg.

Suitman

Post Whore
Either way, adding another is not what the ARLC will do IMO. Time will tell and if Bears get in I will applaud the fans and club for the great efforts their bid has made. Just can't see beyond Perth and Brisbane personally and bringing it back to the thread I think both have the potential to increase the comp crowd avg.

In your opinion PR, would the Perth RL team have more support than the RU side?

Suity

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think it will be a bit higher tbh. Force have done well to maintain a reasonable crowd despite being a basket case since their inception. Think they are avg'ing around 15k. I can see a well run Pirates getting 16-18k avg. end of day comes down to how well the team are doing on the field and how well the club is run and promoted off it.

The games against:
Brisbane
Sth's
St's
Warriors
will probably sell out. Nib capacity will be 21k until next stage of development when it will go up to 25k but no Govt committment for phase 2 yet.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Think it will be a bit higher tbh. Force have done well to maintain a reasonable crowd despite being a basket case since their inception. Think they are avg'ing around 15k. I can see a well run Pirates getting 16-18k avg. end of day comes down to how well the team are doing on the field and how well the club is run and promoted off it.

The games against:
Brisbane
Sth's
St's
Warriors
will probably sell out. Nib capacity will be 21k until next stage of development when it will go up to 25k but no Govt committment for phase 2 yet.

Cheers mate.
Sounds reasonable to me. Success always brings higher crowds.

Suity

Kirky

Juniors
Again the exact same argument was made in Perth, reality is there are thousands of RL fans in Brisbane that won't support the Broncos. Approx 1,970,000 people live in Brisbane and don't go to Broncos games. Key will be to finding out why and offering them a club they want to follow.

A quick wiki search has revealed that Fremantle had a pre-existing fanbase, drawing on fans of WAFL sides East Fremantle and South Fremantle. They had an instant average attendance of 23k in their first year. Same deal for Port Adelaide Power in Adelaide, who started with an average attendance of 35k, drawn from the SANFL side Port Adelaide Magpies. What pre-existing loyalties/attachements will a 2nd Brisbane side be drawing on to attract fans? You can't really follow League if you don't support at least one team. League fans in Brisbane, by definition, already have teams that they support. What about a 2nd Brisbane side will draw them away from the side they currently support? Again, i'm just playing Devil's advocate here (bored at work).

Nib capacity will be 21k until next stage of development when it will go up to 25k but no Govt committment for phase 2 yet.

Surely for 1-2 big games per year you'd play at Subiaco? That'd boost the average up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe re subi if the crowds warrant it. It is a dog of a ground for RL though and very expensive to hire. The deals on the food and drink, mrech sales etc would require a massive corwd of over 20k to justify the expense and poor viewing for fans.

I know both Brisbane Bombers and Western corridor bids are aiming to link up with 2 or 3 Q'land cup clubs, maybe that is where the existing fanbase will come from. re Port and Dockers, reality is those existing clubs would be lucky to draw 1500 fans each so not as if there was a massive existing fanbase for the WAFL, SAFL clubs that started suddenly going to AFL games.

Kirky

Juniors
Maybe re subi if the crowds warrant it. It is a dog of a ground for RL though and very expensive to hire. The deals on the food and drink, mrech sales etc would require a massive corwd of over 20k to justify the expense and poor viewing for fans.

I know both Brisbane Bombers and Western corridor bids are aiming to link up with 2 or 3 Q'land cup clubs, maybe that is where the existing fanbase will come from. re Port and Dockers, reality is those existing clubs would be lucky to draw 1500 fans each so not as if there was a massive existing fanbase for the WAFL, SAFL clubs that started suddenly going to AFL games.

I got all of this info from google/wiki, so take it with a pinch of salt, but Port apparently had a pretty big following prior to entry into the AFL (which they have now completeley squandered lol)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...membership-drive/story-e6freco3-1226284459253

and the Adelaide Crows were selling out Football Park (which had a smaller capacity then it does now apparently).

Fremantle's 2 WAFL clubs also had a lot of support, and the West Coast Eagles were selling out every home game, so demand for seats exceeded supply. A second team there drew on both existing loyalties and the demand for live AFL.

Broncos aren't selling out Suncorp every week. If someone wants to go to see an NRL match in Brisbane, they can. There isn't an excess of demand relative to the supply of seats.

Anyway, 5:00 has come, cheers for helping the time pass :thumn

Raiderdave

First Grade
No I meant to say the hundreds/thousands of bears fans that would show up to every Bears game in Sydney. Extra hundreds/thousands to every Bears away game.

You could have the 14 Bombers/Ipswich away fans who'll come to our games when they play us, or you'll have the hundreds or thousands of Bears fans at every Bears away game between Newcastle and Wollongong.

A new SEQLD team would improve one or two teams crowds once or twice a season. The Bears would improve the crowds for 10 teams at least 10 times a year.

thousands ?:lol::lol:

North Sydney fans didn't travel much past crows nest from 1908 to 1999
long term why would anything be any different with the CC bears :?

the first few games maybe for nostalgia sake a few would rock up
but long term
you're having a lend :lol::lol:

Last edited:

First Grade
Devil'd advocate; where exactly are the fans for a 2nd Brisbane team going to come from? If you're a League lover in Brisbane you're either a Broncos fan if you're born and bred, or still a fan of your team from where you grew up. It's not like Brisbane are selling our Suncorp every week, if there were thousands of extra fans keen on going to games every week, there's nothing stopping them now. I agree with posters that Broncos crowds wouldn't suffer/splinter with a new Brisbane team, but I still fail to see where the new supporters are going to come from?

I am of the belief a team located in Ipswich would have a very large fan base, It is far enough from Brisbane to be its own community. Ipswich is very much like Newcastle where Brisbane people view it as the poorer little brother liek Sydney does to Newcastle. I think a lot of Broncos fans in Ipswich would convert to support an Ipswich team, and believe what you may There is a massively huge chunck of people in Ipswich that dont support Broncos because they are Brisbane and the attitude displayed towards Ipswich people by Brisbane people develops a hatred towards Brisbane.

Timmah

Staff member
I am of the belief a team located in Ipswich would have a very large fan base, It is far enough from Brisbane to be its own community. Ipswich is very much like Newcastle where Brisbane people view it as the poorer little brother liek Sydney does to Newcastle. I think a lot of Broncos fans in Ipswich would convert to support an Ipswich team, and believe what you may There is a massively huge chunck of people in Ipswich that dont support Broncos because they are Brisbane and the attitude displayed towards Ipswich people by Brisbane people develops a hatred towards Brisbane.

It'll be great to see NRL games played at North Ipswich Reserve... :sarcasm:

Unless of course they play at Suncorp Stadium, home ground of the "hated rivals" the Broncos...

First Grade

Unless of course they play at Suncorp Stadium, home ground of the "hated rivals" the Broncos...
Nothing stopping them building a new stadium in the Sprinfield area, The fastest growing area in Australia, also slated to be the largest planned community in the world. They have already built stage 1 of the shopping centre that will become the largest shopping centre in the Southern Hemisphere. Ipswich not long ago won an award as the most liveable mid size city in the world (voted by and independent international panel).
Currently has a population of 163k with another 111k projected by 2021.
Dismiss Ipswich as you wish but if they seriously look at it in my opinion it waould be a great place for a team.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm dismissing Ipswich as an immediate option.

If they're expanding in the next 2-3 years, it needs to be teams ready to go. Perth and CC are those.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see if Brisbane2 get the nod they may well feature prominently in this slot as well to maximize the fta Brisbane audience share, broncos Friday nights, brisbane2/Perth Sunday nights.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Lang Park has been the home of Queensland Rugby League for generations. The Broncos don?t own it...

ouwet

Bench
Tried buying two Cat 1 tickets for the Bulldogs V Newcastle game, only singles left... Some Cat 2 sections only singles aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts