What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bear

Referee
Never qualified any remarks about any other club, just the Roosters.

That said (and I don't like defending Cronulla) - both the Sharks and Roosters played their first home games on the SAME sunny Sunday afternoon. The Sharks got just under 16k to a 20k seat stadium... the Roosters got 11/12k to a 44k seat stadium.

And the Sharks opponent was arguably a lower draw. You do the math.
Newcastle are a bigger draw than Penrith, comfortably, the Johns era left plenty of Newcastle fans around the place whilst Penrith fans dont generally travel and arent particularly big anywhere other than Penrith.

And yeah, Roosters average home crowds have consistently been bigger than Cronulla's, Penriths and outdrawn others over the last few years.

ouwet

Bench
Newcastle are a bigger draw than Penrith, comfortably, the Johns era left plenty of Newcastle fans around the place whilst Penrith fans dont generally travel and arent particularly big anywhere other than Penrith.

And yeah, Roosters average home crowds have consistently been bigger than Cronulla's, Penriths and outdrawn others over the last few years.

Let's be honest... In Penrith they're not that big! More Parramatta & Bulldog fans out that way then Penrith!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Let's be honest... In Penrith they're not that big! More Parramatta & Bulldog fans out that way then Penrith!

True now.

However, in 5-10 years all of Phil Gould's Community work will pay off and Penrith will have a massive new generation of fans.

The players have been very active at Schools and in the Junior League this year so far.

Plus visits in Shopping Centres and Nepean Hospital.

All of this was neglected in the Leary era.

As for tonight, we have had a great week of sunshine in Sydney but as Friday Afternoon hits it appears the rain may be rolling in according to the radar.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Penrith's fans have been a bit fair weather. There is a core of 12K but when they were winning in 2003 they were averaging 17K.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Isn't it sad that 20k is a "good Titans crowd" now when a few years back, they averaged more than that.

nqboy

First Grade
Isn't it sad that 20k is a "good Titans crowd" now when a few years back, they averaged more than that.
I suspect they only averaged that on the back of blockbuster crowds in the early years at Lang Park and the novelty of a new side with everything sparkly new and exciting. Since then, the team has aged and the reaming the club are taking from Labor's Stadiums Queensland are just proving too costly for the the mums and dads.

Fix the stadium deal and I think you're on your way to getting backing there though they will struggle to recapture the euphoria of the early days. Once it's lost, it's devilishly hard and very rare to get back.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There was a Suncorp game included in that first season average but they certainly nabbed plenty of 20k+ crowds in the first season.

Their average crowd has shown year on year decline.

If the team itself doesn't fire then they could find themselves with regular sub 10k crowds. The stadium deal and $$$ is only part of the problem.

The titans are offering free tickets to their next home game if they lose against the storm tonight. I think it only applies to GA tickets. But a good initiative, might see a few more people through the gates. A little bit more notice and advertising would have been better though.

turbodewd

Juniors
Gee, not sure if thats a good idea. It tells the fans that we arent worth paying for. Half price would have been wiser i think.

Kirky

Juniors
They've been playing at Skilled since 2008, while their crowds have only really been an issue for the past 2 seasons. So while yes, the stadium deal isn't great, it's still not the be-all and end-all of their issues. Seems to me their crowd troubles stem from a perfect storm of:
  • GFC (which appears to have hit the GC pretty damn hard)
  • 2011 being the worst season in the club's history, not just in terms of results, but they really played some boring, boring footy.
  • a string of bad news stories (centre of excellence, tax office, PNG relocation rumor, salary cap rumours, etc)
  • Novelty of the Suns/their new stadium taking away the spotlight a bit (I think this last issue will drop off in a big way this year though).
I'm confident they'll be back on their feet in no time though. A lot of clubs have ups and downs.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Newcastle crowd will be interesting. 8.30 kickoff but, cracking good day here so hopefully up around 25k.

rooster25

Juniors
Originally Posted by Timmah

That said (and I don't like defending Cronulla) - both the Sharks and Roosters played their first home games on the SAME sunny Sunday afternoon. The Sharks got just under 16k to a 20k seat stadium... the Roosters got 11/12k to a 44k seat stadium.

Timmah how do you get 11/12k with a 12 726 crowd and just under 16k with a 15 564 crowd?? also how could Newcastle be a lower draw then Penrith? no agenda there hey??

I admit the Roosters crowd was low and we need bigger crowds but it would of been good if the NRL would of given us a blockbuster match for our first home game of the year,every other team seemed to get a big match. Its no excuse but another side would of drawn over 16k.

Ill go to every game cause im a die hard but a lot of my mates who follow the Roosters seem to rather go to the beach then have a BBQ and watch the game on Tv as it is a lot cheaper and dont have to go anywhere. I used to get up them but after paying $6.80 for a VB in a plastic cup,$5 for a coke and $4.80 for a meat pie,let alone lining up for 25mins because the SFS dont open up all the bars and food outlets, i can see where they are coming from. The club really needs to look at ways to get more people at the games.

Love them or hate them the Roosters are very important to RL in regards to competing with other codes as they have the Waratahs,Sydney FC and the Swans on there doorstep. The NRL really need to help other areas of Sydney apart from just worrying about the West.There is so much promotion of these other codes in the Eastern Suburbs and the NRL really need to help the Roosters maintain that hold of the Eastern Suburbs

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Originally Posted by Timmah

Timmah how do you get 11/12k with a 12 726 crowd and just under 16k with a 15 564 crowd?? also how could Newcastle be a lower draw then Penrith? no agenda there hey??

I admit the Roosters crowd was low and we need bigger crowds but it would of been good if the NRL would of given us a blockbuster match for our first home game of the year,every other team seemed to get a big match. Its no excuse but another side would of drawn over 16k.

Ill go to every game cause im a die hard but a lot of my mates who follow the Roosters seem to rather go to the beach then have a BBQ and watch the game on Tv as it is a lot cheaper and dont have to go anywhere. I used to get up them but after paying $6.80 for a VB in a plastic cup,$5 for a coke and $4.80 for a meat pie,let alone lining up for 25mins because the SFS dont open up all the bars and food outlets, i can see where they are coming from. The club really needs to look at ways to get more people at the games.

Love them or hate them the Roosters are very important to RL in regards to competing with other codes as they have the Waratahs,Sydney FC and the Swans on there doorstep. The NRL really need to help other areas of Sydney apart from just worrying about the West.There is so much promotion of these other codes in the Eastern Suburbs and the NRL really need to help the Roosters maintain that hold of the Eastern Suburbs

Don't understand why people use stadium food and beverage prices as a reason to not attend. If you think its too expensive, then don't buy it and do your drinking and/or eating before and after the game.

rooster25

Juniors
Im not using prices as an excuse,i did attend the game. Im just saying the ridiculous prices do put people off and on a hot sunday afternoon most people would like to buy a few drinks and a pie.

TheDalek079

Bench
i wouldn't eat before going, just take some snacks in. most places allow non commercial food so i take along some lollies. If i buy food there, it's just a coke and some fries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts