What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorson1987

Coach
I'm conflicted.

Fking atrocious weather for the second week in a row.

However, FFS people...of ALL clubs...start going to the game...and ESPECIALLY Souths supporters. You ain't had a winning team for two decades and the second good season should have seen people there in droves. I've been going to ANZ since 2006 when they moved there and always hoped that if and when we got good again, the crowds will come.

But the NRL has a real lethargy in some depts and it's no excuse for Souths this year.

I know it was cold and wet last night, but support your bloody team!

Fair enough, who wouldn't stay at home, with the kids, a couple of pizzas, a couple of coldies and go straight to bed afterwards?

I just feel exasperated...tramping out there to see a winning team and only the hardy go...the same ones who go each and every week.

That said, I will say, we've had Cowboys, Knights, Raiders (all out of towners) who may or may not travel, even if the weather is good or bad. And our Saints clash is a MNF game! Thankfully, we have Dogs, Sea Eagles and Roosters as three of the last four clashes at home for the season.

Again...all NRL fans...go to the game!!!

Souths will finish the home and away season with the 2nd best crowds in Sydney for the 2nd year in a row. Souths crowds are not a problem.

Doesn't mean we can't improve though. Dogs last night would have most likely pulled 15k or so. We need to strive to be the most supported team in sydney, especially considering our ladder position.

One thing I want to know, and I'm not having a shot at your club, but what happened to all the fans that were at the Storm game.

I was there and we were lucky to have more then a couple thousand.

Big Sam

First Grade
Doesn't mean we can't improve though. Dogs last night would have most likely pulled 15k or so. We need to strive to be the most supported team in sydney, especially considering our ladder position.

Disagree. Last night's weather was far worse than the Dogs got against another interstate team in Brisbane a few weeks back, yet the crowd was the same.

Just on this notion that the weather impacts crowds, I wonder what the profit/cost differential is to ANZ and Souths/Canterbury if they opened up Level 6? The seats up there are 100% undercover and would be a better choice for GA seating than those behind the tryline which are significantly exposed to the elements.

One thing I want to know, and I'm not having a shot at your club, but what happened to all the fans that were at the Storm game.

Top of the table event?

Crowds overall were pretty strong until about, what, 6-8 weeks ago?

Is it the advent of winter - colder, wetter?

Or people have figured out their position their team is in and travel accordingly and chose the opposition they will watch?

You can't blame Canberra fans for night driving up last night, which they have done before, though would be better if a Saturday night. And this is where the NRL need to look at better scheduling.

People in ACT would be inclined to drive up on a Saturday and maybe stay over night, or drive back (I know people who do do this). Need to lock these people in with reciprocal deals on season tickets so they might be more inclined to attend. But can't blame people needing to finish work early (worse with kids), drive three hours up to Sydney in shitty weather.

I dunno what the answer is.

The Dogs seem to get the 20,000-25,000...Souths should be aiming for this routinely.

Sorry...a bit all over the shop.

beave

Coach
Show long weekend in Townsville. Not sure what effect that will have on the crowd tomorrow night. The Laurie Spina shield is on which might help the numbers as kids from all over the region travel to Tvl for their games. But next weekend is also the V8's so there could be a few people cutting the footy away tomorrow due to $$$$$ from both the shown and the race next weekend. Im tipping 13-14k at 1300 Barry Beeth stadium.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Playing the best team in the comp in fine weather during the day.

These recent games have been mediocre opposition at night in the right.

All of the right circumstances will get crowds in the 30s. All of the wrong circumstances will get crowds in the low teens.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Beautiful weather in Perth this weekend, hope it's like this next Sunday for our NRL game.

Re rain, buy a poncho! Sat in the pishing rain for 3 hours at subiaco last weekend and the poncho worked a treat. You think watching an NRL game in the rain is no fun, try sitting for 3 hours listening to dockers fans yell "ball" every 30 secs in it! Have to say though 31k of them turned out in the rain and mostly families with kids. Not sure why NRL fans are so fickle.

newman

First Grade
Hahaha. Are you watching this game now PR? A suburban ground and it is empty. Are you ok? Some sort of rash developing?

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Looking at highlights of Swans game and lots of empty seats even high up in grandstand. Do we really think there were 25,000? maybe they were expecting that prior to rain and just kept with that figure.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
We have another Toyota cup game on

And another one at penrith to come

When does Greenberg start

He should bring a few crowd initiatives

Status
Not open for further replies.