What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Doubt it will sell out. Especially with what looks like a price hike.

I walked up to the gate at Hunter last Saturday and paid $25 straight up, total. Given that ground's had millions of dollars of upgrades, how can a ground like Brookvale justify charging me $9 more to pre-purchase?

cleary89

Coach
Canberra v saints on a -2 degrees monday night last year was $34 at the gate from memory. Almost worth finding a local pub.

Valheru

Coach
Should be decent v the warriors on Sunday. I will say 16-20k, same range as the storm game

Really?

I hope so but I don?t remember any regular season game against them with a decent crowd and Sunday night is a poor slot.

15k would be a good result but I expect less.

firechild

First Grade
In an age where we're trying to encourage people to attend live games and furthermore, encouraging pre-purchase of tickets...

Can anyone explain to me how the HELL the Sea Eagles justify charging adults $28 for general admission to BROOKVALE OVAL of all places?

Add the $5 handling fee and we're talking THIRTY FOUR DOLLARS when that doesn't even guarantee a blade of grass under your backside.

For a start, the handling fee is ticketek so you can't blame Manly or the NRL for that. Secondly, even at that price, the break even is around 14,000 so Manly won't be making a huge profit even if you feel ripped off. Thirdly, Manly have a new pricing structure this year that means popular games against strong rivals and/or at good times will cost more than say NQ on a Monday night. It's their way of trying to entice a few people to the lower drawing games without losing too much overall profit.

ek999

First Grade
Smart move by Manly if that's the case. The handling fee is the biggest issue though. A $5 fee is a 18% hike on the cost of a $28 ticket. The sooner the NRL takes over the ticketing of matches the better

Timmah

Staff member
For a start, the handling fee is ticketek so you can't blame Manly or the NRL for that. Secondly, even at that price, the break even is around 14,000 so Manly won't be making a huge profit even if you feel ripped off. Thirdly, Manly have a new pricing structure this year that means popular games against strong rivals and/or at good times will cost more than say NQ on a Monday night. It's their way of trying to entice a few people to the lower drawing games without losing too much overall profit.
The handling fee is Ticketmaster, and as I understand Manly are the only remaining club on that archaic, hard to use system.

I understand the dynamic pricing thing you're referring to - the Mariners do it up here too. I just cannot fathom how $28 is a reasonable price for general admission when there's no guarantee you'll even find grass to sit on.

Compare that to say, Bulldogs, Knights $25 at the gate, it's crazy.

Timmah

Staff member
Thought I'd run a quick experiment on this.

Went into each club's ticketing agency online this morning and equated the cost of buying online in general admission (including all transaction fees, handling fees etc). Results surprising.

Cowboys $19.49
Eels (PS) $25.39
Dogs & Eels (ANZ) $26.44
Dragons (WJOK) $27.33
Dragons (WSWG) $27.48
Knights, Tigers (CS & LO) $29.47
Storm $29.67
Roosters $30.10
Broncos $30.24
Warriors $30.25 NZD
Sharks $30.44
Panthers $31.44
Rabbitohs $31.54
Raiders $34.05
Titans $35.53
Manly $36.09

Important to note after charging $28 base price for the ticket last night - it's now $30, plus 59c transaction fee, plus 5.50 handling fee. They must charge more on game day.

H.H

Juniors
Really?

I hope so but I don?t remember any regular season game against them with a decent crowd and Sunday night is a poor slot.

15k would be a good result but I expect less.
Pretty sure we got 18k in both 2002 and 2003 against them at home.

Good chance again I reckon if the weather holds.

LineBall

Juniors
On the radio this morning they were expecting a crowd somewhere between 15K to 20k for the Souths v Gold Coast.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
On the radio this morning they were expecting a crowd somewhere between 15K to 20k for the Souths v Gold Coast.

Would it even hold that amount? I thought closer to what Bulldogs get at mackay 10-12k

Tonight I say:
Dragons V Cowboys 13k
Manly V Bulldogs 18k

TimmyB

Juniors
It's fairly ridiculous Ticketek creams off that amount for every transaction.

Why doesn't the NRL set up its own ticketing operation and charge the fans the actual cost of handling fees etc? If all the clubs were on board I would think the NRL would have the economies of scale to do it at a cost price lower price than ticketek.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It's fairly ridiculous Ticketek creams off that amount for every transaction.

Why doesn't the NRL set up its own ticketing operation and charge the fans the actual cost of handling fees etc? If all the clubs were on board I would think the NRL would have the economies of scale to do it at a cost price lower price than ticketek.

I'm pretty sure that is in the works.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

You mean ticketmaster, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts