What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see in today's paper they are predicting a Melbourne afl club will eventually relocate to FNQ Maybe cowboys need to strengthen their presence in cairns and play a trial and couple of NRL games there a year?

Offer a cairns membership with the three games plus any one game in Townsville?

Rd 16 - Souths vs Titans at Cairns.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get the sense the NRL want to see clubs playing ten games at home and taking two on the road. At the moment they aren't offering any carrot to do so but hopefully they will show some commitment to making it happen.

32 games on the road would allow the game to get regular presences in its key strategic expansion areas as well as offer the occasional game to new/smaller cities and games in heartland non NRL club cities.

6 Gosford (till someone relocates)
5 Perth (till we get a team)
2 Wellington
2 Christchurch
1 Dunedin
2 Cairns
2 CQ
1 Sunshine Coast
1 Adelaide
1 Hobart
1 Darwin
2 PNG
1 Fiji

That would be a massive shift for the game in terms of reach and presence if these were locked in for the next 5years

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
I see in today's paper they are predicting a Melbourne afl club will eventually relocate to FNQ Maybe cowboys need to strengthen their presence in cairns and play a trial and couple of NRL games there a year?

Offer a cairns membership with the three games plus any one game in Townsville?

Lol.

That would be a bigger failure then GWS and GC.

Then again it is the AFL. Nothing surprises me with them.

Yeah, the 10 at home, 2 on the road would be good.

Imagine if Perth, Adelaide, Cairns, Rockhampton and any of the NZ cities could get 2-3 matches a year - and even pay for them too, cause I don't reckon Souths are doing it for nada - it would spread the word.

And the fans only have themselves to blame.

At first I was miffed that Souths were taking a 3rd game away this year BUT when you consider we were getting really decent crowds vs Sydney based teams (Tigers, Saints, Dogs) but a few leaner matches - Penrith and Newcastle being two - taking that 3rd game away against the Titans for extra coin, a bit of spread the gospel and all that, well, it's good business.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol.

That would be a bigger failure then GWS and GC.

Then again it is the AFL. Nothing surprises me with them.

They have also muted a third Perth team based n joondalup and a ft Canberra team. They can see the Melbourne situation isn't long term viable and are looking at population growth and where they have left to relocate teams to. Probably all pie in the sky but compared to our zero plan for expansion it is at least being talked about which gives them a perception as a growing national code. Something we fail to understand.

newman

First Grade
I get the sense the NRL want to see clubs playing ten games at home and taking two on the road. At the moment they aren't offering any carrot to do so but hopefully they will show some commitment to making it happen.

32 games on the road would allow the game to get regular presences in its key strategic expansion areas as well as offer the occasional game to new/smaller cities and games in heartland non NRL club cities.

6 Gosford (till someone relocates)
5 Perth (till we get a team)
2 Wellington
2 Christchurch
1 Dunedin
2 Cairns
2 CQ
1 Sunshine Coast
1 Adelaide
1 Hobart
1 Darwin
2 PNG
1 Fiji

That would be a massive shift for the game in terms of reach and presence if these were locked in for the next 5years

No good. I am a season seat holder at my club and want to see them play at home 12 times.

newman

First Grade
Sometimes the good of the many have to outweigh the desires of the few.

No they don't. It's not up to my suburban club to grow the game in expansion areas. I am an existing stakeholder in the game who makes a significant financial contribution. My club is better served meeting my needs and expectation than some casual newbie who lives in a dot on the map.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
This year we are seeing NRL games being taken to Darwin, Mackay, Mudgee, Wellington, Perth, Central Coast & Cairns. No surprise to see PR complaining though. The ARLC has done a fine job if you ask me.

That being said, as a season ticket holder I would be majorly pissed off if my club started taking games on the road.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No they don't. It's not up to my suburban club to grow the game in expansion areas. I am an existing stakeholder in the game who makes a significant financial contribution. My club is better served meeting my needs and expectation than some casual newbie who lives in a dot on the map.

As a member of the NRL yes it is. It is also in your clubs best interest to earn as much income as it can and grow its appeal to new audiences and new sponsors. The days of being a small suburban club are long gone. Don't like it? Drop back to the nsw cup and you can watch your team home and away every weekend for a few $'s.

newman

First Grade
Don't like it?

It's not even happening you nuffie! My club is committed to playing 11 games per year in the NRL at a suburban ground, there will be no dropping back to the NSW Cup thank you very much. My club has absolutely zero responsibility in promoting your pie in the sky version of the NRL which is the A League with an oval ball.

If you don't like it, maybe you should up sticks and move to Sydney, Brisbane, Mebourne, Canberra, Townsville or Auckland.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully your club has more of an idea than you do, then again looking at the state of it your not the CEO are you? Oh that's right I forgot.

NATIONAL rugby league, the clues in the name!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Won't happen. Not under the financial stress the AFL is under with GCS and GWS.

$340mill annual income, model that taxes the rich clubs to pay for the poor ones, ability to get govt's to pay for their expansion. You really think so? Lol

newman

First Grade
Hopefully your club has more of an idea than you do, then again looking at the state of it your not the CEO are you? Oh that's right I forgot.

NATIONAL rugby league, the clues in the name!

Haha. You're the most clueless about business on this board and that's saying a lot and you are casting dispersions. Keep it up mate, your entertainment value is worth the price of admission alone.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe they should have me on at HT at shark park, might see some people turn up to the game. So how's the sponsorship search going? How's membership sales? How's the CEO performing? That suburban club model you espouse so much is working great for your club lol.

newman

First Grade
Clubs in the NRL son. More than I can say for your boys. I've got a season ticket and will be front and centre for round 1. Where will you be? Pissing and moaning about how the NRL owes you a club?

I know where I'd rather be.

Status
Not open for further replies.