What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If only 43k turn up, you can look forward to reduced prices next year. If 52k turn up, prices will continue to rise. Simple economics.

Scary thought that they could continue to rise. Do they just want the bankers and lawyers at the games?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
For me personally once the Category 1 reserved seats went past $150 on Level 1 ANZ that was already too much. I went a few more years after that by buying either restricted view seats or sitting more towards the sides but after last year that's it. This year $170 to sit behind the dead ball line with the Blues supporters and for the seat to still be classified as GOLD keep dreaming.

Now they're literally begging people to buy the remaining 10,000 tickets at Suncorp and they're running an advertising campaign that costs who knows how many thousands of dollars. It's just really poor form on the NRL's part.

Ticket sales literally are not budging.

undertaker

Coach
If only 43k turn up, you can look forward to reduced prices next year. If 52k turn up, prices will continue to rise. Simple economics.

In a lot of ways, I'm hoping that will happen. The fans don't deserve to get stiffed the way they have.

DarceyLawler

Juniors
This isn't a new phenomenon. if you remember back in 1988 when they played Origin 1 and 3 at then brand new Sydney Football Stadium, the crowds were 24,000 and 16,000 respectively, if I recall correctly. During the commentary on game 3, Darrell Eastlake was bemoaning the empty seats given the fireworks in game 2 (the Wally Lewis can throwing riot) and mentioned the ticket prices (A$32 I think). Jack Gibson commented acidly; "it's a working man's game, so they need to charge a working man's price."

BunniesMan

Immortal
If they do offer big discounts to fill the place up it sets a dangerous precedent for next year. People will delay buying to benefit from it themselves and that will just make it even harder to sell out.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This debate is so f*cking dumb!!!

The NRL has been broke for the last 20 years, and everyone was saying they need to find a way to make more money to invest in grassroots, ect.

Now the NRL has these 4 (and only these 4) games every year (SOO and GF) that they KNOW will sell out, and you lot are all bitching and moaning about prices being too high for you. You lot seem to think the NRL owe you something, and cheap tickets to their premium games is how they should do it.

You can get into an average NRL game for $20. THAT is where the game pays back the working class families. But Origin is where they make their money.

Do you think you getting a cheap ticket is worth more to the ARLC that the junior investments they could make WITH these ticket prices??? If you dont like the prices you dont have to go, theyre not taking the money out of your pocket.

You lot are not special and the NRL doesnt owe you anything...

If they do offer big discounts to fill the place up it sets a dangerous precedent for next year. People will delay buying to benefit from it themselves and that will just make it even harder to sell out.

Youre right about it being a bad idea to dramatically reduce prices late, just to fill the stadium. You piss off everyone that paid earlier and you screw yourself for the next few years...

The solution (if you just want to fill the last few seats) is to offer massively reduced prices or even free tickets exclusively to a small segment; junior players from a certain club or district, volenteers of the junior games, MakeAWish or StarLight, ect.

Doing this fills the stadium, leaves the prices high for the average buyer and no one can really get mad about it; youre donating to a good cause or rewarding the games unsung heros...

Last edited:

juro

Bench
Okay, so they drop the price to sell the remaining tickets. Next game, some people hold off on buying tickets early. Those who get in early pay a higher ticket price, and get first choice of the seats.

2 weeks before origin, they see that they still have 50% of their tickets unsold. They drop prices 10%. Some fans buy the cheaper tickets. Others still say no.

A week before the game, they still have 30% of their tickets unsold. They drop prices 10% further. Some fans buy the cheaper tickets. Others don't.

2 days before the game, they still have 15% of their tickets unsold. They drop prices again. Some tickets are sold.

Game day, and they still have 10% of tickets unsold. They drop prices again. All tickets get sold.

So fans have the choice. They get in early, get the best seats, but pay a premium price. Or they wait, save some money, with some chance they will get poor seats, and some chance of not getting any seats at all. It is a bit like an auction. Everyone has their price. Adjusting ticket prices over time lets everyone opt in or out as it suits them.

Canard

Immortal
This debate is so f*cking dumb!!!

The NRL has been broke for the last 20 years

The NRL isn't broke anymore, its richer than ever.

How does not filling a stadium for the biggest event game of the year, mean the NRL "makes" money?

Not to mention the knock effect of bad PR.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
The NRL isn't broke anymore, its richer than ever.

How does not filling a stadium for the biggest event game of the year, mean the NRL "makes" money?

Not to mention the knock effect of bad PR.

And the rediculous marketing expense to sell these 10,000 remaining tickets.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Parra don't get big crowds at Parra stadium these days,14k-15k against Dragons,average joe don't wanna squeeze in that tiny stadium anymore

Almost time we moved full time to ANZ or increase Parra Stadium(hopefully increase Parra Stadium cos we never win at ANZ)

Ba leed dat

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Prove me wrong...

- the NRL will turn a good profit and reinvest all of it back into the game.
- people willing to pay will have a great night and everyone will get drunk infront of their TVs.
- any excess tickets will hopefully be flogged off to a charity

Game as a whole is in a better place...

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Prove me wrong...

- people willing to pay will have a great night and everyone will get drunk infront of their TVs.

Basically everyone I know would usually go, they are now booking tables at bars down Caxton St. Or BBQs at home.

If I pay $250 for a ticket I demand a sell out. If there are empty seats the justification for $250 is not there.

guyver78

Juniors
Prove me wrong...

Nothing wrong with your argument mate & you have a lot of valid points. A price has been set and you have the choice of either going or NOT going.

however

We are also entitled to our opinions and a lot of people here seem to hold the same view. Most of us here are season ticket holders and majority of us would probably generally speaking attend this game. However at those prices 90% of us are simply saying "f**k that. f**k that right in the ass" as somebody put it earlier.

So I fail to see how "the game is better off as a whole" as you put it. It's a PR disaster for the NRL and now who knows how much $$$ they're spending on advertising campaigns.

Canard

Immortal
Prove me wrong...

Why not have the above and a sellout crowd?

Status
Not open for further replies.