What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oikee

Juniors
Not only do the marketing make so many bad decisions, along with the department in charge of scheduling and rule changes, our game limps from bad mistake after bad mistake on a yearly basis, and not much is learned by those rotten mistakes.
Take game scheduling as a small example. They want to take games to the bigger stadiums, (and this also covers what i just said about putting Origin tickets up by 100%) , instead of taking the games to a slightly bigger stadium of say 40 to 50 thousand, they tried to go from 20 thousand stadiums to 80 thousand.

This is just dumb, stupid beyond words.

Not only have they made our code look small, lifeless, empty, they cant even provide a rectangle ground. And to make matters worse, instead of acknowledging they got it wrong and making changes, they are now trying to force the warriors to a big round lifeless ground in Eden park NZ.

All this because the NZ government overspent on a union world cup.
This should not be leagues problem, and we should not be made to take our game to a ground that will kill our own crowd figures to help union and the government pay their bills.

The NRL should be in NZ fighting to either update Mt Smart or build a new Stadium that league can make profit out of instead of paying unions and their governments debts.
Until dumb stops happening at the top level in league, our code will keep being treated as dumb.

pHyR3

Juniors
Not only do the marketing make so many bad decisions, along with the department in charge of scheduling and rule changes, our game limps from bad mistake after bad mistake on a yearly basis, and not much is learned by those rotten mistakes.
Take game scheduling as a small example. They want to take games to the bigger stadiums, (and this also covers what i just said about putting Origin tickets up by 100%) , instead of taking the games to a slightly bigger stadium of say 40 to 50 thousand, they tried to go from 20 thousand stadiums to 80 thousand.

This is just dumb, stupid beyond words.

Not only have they made our code look small, lifeless, empty, they cant even provide a rectangle ground. And to make matters worse, instead of acknowledging they got it wrong and making changes, they are now trying to force the warriors to a big round lifeless ground in Eden park NZ.

All this because the NZ government overspent on a union world cup.
This should not be leagues problem, and we should not be made to take our game to a ground that will kill our own crowd figures to help union and the government pay their bills.

The NRL should be in NZ fighting to either update Mt Smart or build a new Stadium that league can make profit out of instead of paying unions and their governments debts.
Until dumb stops happening at the top level in league, our code will keep being treated as dumb.

but averages at these 'lifeless' grounds are still increasing. up from 15-16k in 2005-06 to 22k in 2012-13 at ANZ and 24.4k so far this year

Eden park has been pulling solid numbers too, 18k on the weekend i think

Last edited:

pHyR3

Juniors
TICKETS prices for some Origin I tickets at Suncorp Stadium will now be offered for one-third off as rugby league officials seek a sellout.

The ARL Commission and the QRL will release a limited number of silver category seats for $125 for the 100th Origin game on May 28.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...origin-i-tickets/story-fndujljl-1226918020483

How much of a spit in the face is that now to those who rushed out like idiots and refinanced their mortgage to take their family to the Origin this year?

For those that don't yet have tickets to the game in Sydney what incentive is there to buy your tickets anytime soon? Just wait until they discount them and if the price is right personally for you then buy.

yup, i usually get really pissed off when there's sales on computers and i bought them a month early. Or the continual sales they have on tickets in the week before games and i decided to pay a month early.... :roll::roll::roll:

oikee

Juniors
They really have dropped the ball this year. The NRL,ARL, whatever they want to call themselves or pass the buck to, find someone to blame.
The fact remains, they have tried to turn Origin into a game for only those with 200 thousand yearly wages.
People are struggling, hurting bigtime. The only thing some have left to look forward to was Origin, and now that has been taken away from them as well by greed.

The damage that has been done is the series itself. It now looks like they have deliberately tried to screw the true fans and in doing so they now look stupid, and fans wont forgive or forget this day of shame.
I mean come-on, 500 dollars for me and the Mrs to sit in the same seats only a few years ago we paid 160 dollars for the two of us.
That is greed gone to a new level. You not only replace the true fans, you also get a false crowd without the passion shown by the loyal fans. So the TV experience and crowd experience also suffers.

Fail fail and fail this year on all fronts by the planners, the marketers and the scheduling knumbnuts.
Now our code looks like it cant even sell out our showcase event.
Crowds dont want to turn up to a 80 thousand white elephant on Monday nights, or Saturday night for that matter.
Fans are sick of paying a fortune at cricket grounds, and fans are tired of getting rained on, at every parade.
Now the code is trying to destroy the Warriors fan base by sending them to a round Eden park,.

oikee

Juniors
but averages at these 'lifeless' grounds are still increasing. up from 15-16k in 2005-06 to 22k in 2012-13 at ANZ and 24.4k so far this year

Eden park has been pulling solid numbers too, 18k on the weekend i think

Yes i know they are going up, that is not the point. The point i was trying to make is we are killing the atmosphere by playing in these large round grounds, so fans experiences are diminished and they still are not getting huge crowds when two Sydney teams are playing, not what they should be and nowhere near membership numbers for those two teams.

The point i was trying to make is we need a 40 to 50 thousand experience, grow the crowds by not trying to go from 20 to 80.
go from 20 to 40-50.
Once you pack them in and grow crowds to 40 or 50 thousand, then move up to the bigger stadium.
Grow the experience slowly. The way our code has gone about this is shameful, stupid and lacks any common sense. Which is not surprising really, our code has always been backwardly run and by dinosaurs. Not much has changed.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
TICKETS prices for some Origin I tickets at Suncorp Stadium will now be offered for one-third off as rugby league officials seek a sellout.

The ARL Commission and the QRL will release a limited number of silver category seats for $125 for the 100th Origin game on May 28.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...origin-i-tickets/story-fndujljl-1226918020483

How much of a spit in the face is that now to those who rushed out like idiots and refinanced their mortgage to take their family to the Origin this year?

For those that don't yet have tickets to the game in Sydney what incentive is there to buy your tickets anytime soon? Just wait until they discount them and if the price is right personally for you then buy.

They have only dropped the price of a few seats in upper east.

Restricted view are still no cheaper than $140.. As bronze are still sold out.

Ticketek is in complete confusion..

Unless I'm reading your wrong this is utter rubbish.

NSW STILL turns up to Origins, including 3 sellouts in the last 3 games they've hosted. NSW has never talked about "Origin being dead" despite 8 series losses... QLD were talking about it in 2006 after 3 series losses though.

Looks like QLD are getting bored of it though...

NSW, to be fair, have actually got more into it as the Queensland domination has continued. No doubt they have been wanting to see the Blues get back on top, but it's been good for crowds down south.

As for us being bored with it, that is a load of uninformed crap. The changed price structure is to blame. In my circles there is as much talk as ever about Origin. The affordability, however, as we know, has disappeared from last year.

All of that said, on the night we all know that there won't be 40000 people at Lang Park so nay say away but it will be 51+ again.

The problem is the fact that rugby league is a code being discriminated against over every other code in Australia because of a biase that private schools holds towards the game which continues today.
AFL, Soccer and Union are all played at private schools throughout Australia, and the world.
On the other hand rugby league was banned, and still treated as a outcast for the private school sector, and this is where big money changes hands and influence is made towards our code.
Denying that is denying the future for the code.

For a game that is being has the world against it, it makes a lot of money in Australia from broadcasters. It also gets a shitload of pages in the back of the paper. Do bad stories get written about bad behaviour? Yep! Why? Because there are enough people interested in RL to be interested in the stories and sell papers etc. It isn't rocket science.

Btw, I was privately educated. Clearly my school turned me against league. Just like my choice of employment did. Hmmm?

You've got a chip on your shoulder.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos v Titans pax, as of 7pm - 26,109. Shiiiiiit.

Last year we got 34k, this was because of a 4,500 international student group booking.

guyver78

Juniors
Broncos v Titans pax, as of 7pm - 26,109. Shiiiiiit.

Last year we got 34k, this was because of a 4,500 international student group booking.

Rabbitohs v Storm must also have had pretty crappy ticket sales so far...

On the Souths Website:

50% OFF TICKETS: 5PM-MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!

This should have been running for weeks now not the night before when nobody either knows about it or has already made other plans for tomorrow night...

SLR

Disgraceful for a QLD derby, should be 40k minimum and a best a sell out considering it's 2 QLD teams in 'heartland' of rugby league Brisbane. No excuses for pathetic crowd, is the Brisbane public that fickle after one loss to the Cowboys they just turn the other cheek. It's not like the Reds/Lions are doing great guns either, I see the Reds are playing on this weekend too. If the QLD derby gets outdrawed by the Reds/Rebels it would be a disgrace.

insert.pause

First Grade
It's not really a derby anymore because the titans atm are a club with very little active support, the debt drama burnt a lot of support and has really given the perception that they are temporary, there's just no heart to them anymore, a game against an English super league club would have more feeling to it.

SLR

Disgraceful for a QLD derby, should be 40k minimum and a best a sell out considering it's 2 QLD teams in 'heartland' of rugby league Brisbane. No excuses for pathetic crowd, is the Brisbane public that fickle after one loss to the Cowboys they just turn the other cheek. It's not like the Reds/Lions are doing great guns either, I see the Reds are playing on this weekend too. If the QLD derby gets outdrawed by the Reds/Rebels it would be a disgrace.

I agree with most of this. Should be 40k+. Etc.

I also agree with the other post above that says the Titans burned up their support with the debt issue. It will take a decade of stability and forgetting for that to come back.

All of that said, let's hope for 30-32? Bit of a walk up? SLR??

As for the Reds, I couldn't give a flying copulation.

Edit:

FYI

crowd8.jpg

Canard

Immortal
I agree with most of this. Should be 40k+. Etc.

I also agree with the other post above that says the Titans burned up their support with the debt issue. It will take a decade of stability and forgetting for that to come back.

All of that said, let's hope for 30-32? Bit of a walk up? SLR??

As for the Reds, I couldn't give a flying copulation.

Edit:

FYI

crowd8.jpg

Amazing,a lot of organisations actively discourage sharing of memberships, passes etc.

Frankly this is a good initiative though.

Status
Not open for further replies.