What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oikee

Juniors
There are many reasons why tickets have failed to sell, over-pricing is the main cause i am afriad.
I am not saying they should not put the price of tickets up, but put them up gradually.
Again the NRL marketing has failed, it has failed on nearly every front this year.

What people have done is bought Origin 3 tickets, because you normally cant get tickets to game 1.

So what has happened is all the cheap tickets over the two games have sold, now they are left with a shitload of dearer tickets that nobody wants because they have gone up over 100%.

The marketing department of rugby league has been cronic for years. They really have no idea.
The real problem rugby league has is the white collar workers, we dont have any because our game is banned from the private sector.
That is what really needs fixing and then we can put prices up. Take the game away from the workers and you dont have a game.
Rugby union laps this up.

The real problem rugby league has is the white collar workers, we dont have any because our game is banned from the private sector.

I am a white collar worker. I fail to see how I am a problem for rugby league. The bloke who sits next to me who is an awesome foursome member this year is also a white collar worker. Beyond the odd salmon lunch that stinks the place up, I fail to see how he is a problem for rugby league either.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Parra don't get big crowds at Parra stadium these days,14k-15k against Dragons,average joe don't wanna squeeze in that tiny stadium anymore

Almost time we moved full time to ANZ or increase Parra Stadium(hopefully increase Parra Stadium cos we never win at ANZ)

Ba leed dat

Some facts. Based on 32 games back to 2011.

Parramatta Stadium – Average: 12,412 (Total: 397,191)
Lowest crowd: 8,910 (Round 25, 2013 vs. Dragons)
Highest: 19,654 (Round 8, 2012 vs. Wests Tigers)

18 times a crowd been greater than 12,000
5 times a crowd been greater than 15,000

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This debate is so f*cking dumb!!!
It's a debate, people are entitled to their views. Settle the f**k down.

The NRL has been broke for the last 20 years, and everyone was saying they need to find a way to make more money to invest in grassroots, ect.
The NRL WAS broke for over a decade (not 20 years)... the latest TV deal has delivered in spades. Do your research.

Now the NRL has these 4 (and only these 4) games every year (SOO and GF) that they KNOW will sell out, and you lot are all bitching and moaning about prices being too high for you. You lot seem to think the NRL owe you something, and cheap tickets to their premium games is how they should do it.
I don't think people are necessarily upset at the prices being high so much as the sudden nature of the change. Put simply they went from vaguely affordable one year to completely ridiculous the next.

You can get into an average NRL game for $20. THAT is where the game pays back the working class families. But Origin is where they make their money.
I'd love for you to show me which club allows any fan in for $20 as the average price.

Hell, aside from discount offers, I'd love to know ANYWHERE that offers $20 GA tickets as the norm.

It's now much closer to $30 in most cases, and tips that point with fees. Yeah $10 isn't much to some, but it all adds up.

Do you think you getting a cheap ticket is worth more to the ARLC that the junior investments they could make WITH these ticket prices??? If you dont like the prices you dont have to go, theyre not taking the money out of your pocket.
Higher prices less people, or lower prices more people? There's no point in a price hike if the demand simply isn't there at that price point. Basic marketing and basic maths.

You lot are not special and the NRL doesnt owe you anything...
The NRL, sadly these days, is a consumer product. They've never OWED anybody anything, but they sure as hell owe it to themselves to have a competitive pricing structure which not only sees them maximise their profit, but also maximise the number of bums on seats. You think the NRL is happy about the constant media drawl of "empty seats in big stadia"?

Youre right about it being a bad idea to dramatically reduce prices late, just to fill the stadium. You piss off everyone that paid earlier and you screw yourself for the next few years...
Maybe it just will show they've learned their lesson. Next season = more reasonable ticketing prices.

The solution (if you just want to fill the last few seats) is to offer massively reduced prices or even free tickets exclusively to a small segment; junior players from a certain club or district, volenteers of the junior games, MakeAWish or StarLight, ect.

Doing this fills the stadium, leaves the prices high for the average buyer and no one can really get mad about it; youre donating to a good cause or rewarding the games unsung heros...
Could see that working, but again, we're talking a premium product. You want some sort of return on investment for that. Without asking said charity to make a big deal of the offer, there's very little in that offer apart from goodwill.

Canard

Immortal
Bit of a strange position from Doc also.

It's a business that owes people nothing. Then let's give it away to charity??!?

guyver78

Juniors
It will be very interesting to see what happens to ticket sales here in Sydney after Origin 1, especially if QLD beats NSW which is what most people are expecting.

People in NSW are a lot less forgiving then people in QLD. As an example I have sooo many mates that absolutely love Origin and will watch it on TV and talk about it for days afterwards but couldn't give a rats ass about going to the game even if it only cost $50 for the best seats let alone $265.

Western_Eel

Juniors
For me personally once the Category 1 reserved seats went past $150 on Level 1 ANZ that was already too much. I went a few more years after that by buying either restricted view seats or sitting more towards the sides but after last year that's it. This year $170 to sit behind the dead ball line with the Blues supporters and for the seat to still be classified as GOLD keep dreaming.

Now they're literally begging people to buy the remaining 10,000 tickets at Suncorp and they're running an advertising campaign that costs who knows how many thousands of dollars. It's just really poor form on the NRL's part.

Those $170 tickets you talk about are actually $80 then behind that they are $120

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It will be very interesting to see what happens to ticket sales here in Sydney after Origin 1, especially if QLD beats NSW which is what most people are expecting.

People in NSW are a lot less forgiving then people in QLD. As an example I have sooo many mates that absolutely love Origin and will watch it on TV and talk about it for days afterwards but couldn't give a rats ass about going to the game even if it only cost $50 for the best seats let alone $265.

Unless I'm reading your wrong this is utter rubbish.

NSW STILL turns up to Origins, including 3 sellouts in the last 3 games they've hosted. NSW has never talked about "Origin being dead" despite 8 series losses... QLD were talking about it in 2006 after 3 series losses though.

Looks like QLD are getting bored of it though...

guyver78

Juniors
Those $170 tickets you talk about are actually $80 then behind that they are $120

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=ORIGIN2B14

Aisle 114/115 which they classify as GOLD is still the dead ball line for $170

Then you have the $125 tickets directly behind the dead ball line that are classified as SILVER

The $80 seats that you're talking about are BRONZE tickets on Level 3 directly behind the dead ball line. They're very limited in numbers and having sat there before they're the sort of tickets you buy once and then say never again. Offcourse that's just my opinion.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Unless I'm reading your wrong this is utter rubbish.

NSW STILL turns up to Origins, including 3 sellouts in the last 3 games they've hosted. NSW has never talked about "Origin being dead" despite 8 series losses... QLD were talking about it in 2006 after 3 series losses though.

Looks like QLD are getting bored of it though...

ORIGIN IS DEAD.....

A direct quote from Mal maninga after three straight series defeats....

i have never heard 1 NSW fan say SOO is dead even after 8 series losses in a row.

NSW the home/Heart of RL...;-);-)

BlueandGold

Juniors
Nothing wrong with your argument mate & you have a lot of valid points. A price has been set and you have the choice of either going or NOT going.

however

We are also entitled to our opinions and a lot of people here seem to hold the same view. Most of us here are season ticket holders and majority of us would probably generally speaking attend this game. However at those prices 90% of us are simply saying "f**k that. f**k that right in the ass" as somebody put it earlier.

So I fail to see how "the game is better off as a whole" as you put it. It's a PR disaster for the NRL and now who knows how much $$$ they're spending on advertising campaigns.

The advertising is included in the TV deal as contra...............:?:?

With the amount of tickets sold already 2 weeks out, i would say that the NRL has already made more money from tickets sales in 2014 then last year, still heaps of time to move those tickets.

Last edited:

guyver78

Juniors
TICKETS prices for some Origin I tickets at Suncorp Stadium will now be offered for one-third off as rugby league officials seek a sellout.

The ARL Commission and the QRL will release a limited number of silver category seats for $125 for the 100th Origin game on May 28.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...origin-i-tickets/story-fndujljl-1226918020483

How much of a spit in the face is that now to those who rushed out like idiots and refinanced their mortgage to take their family to the Origin this year?

For those that don't yet have tickets to the game in Sydney what incentive is there to buy your tickets anytime soon? Just wait until they discount them and if the price is right personally for you then buy.

guyver78

Juniors
The advertising is included in the TV deal as contra...............:?:?

With the amount of tickets sold already 2 weeks out, i would say that the NRL has already made more money from tickets sales in 2014 then last year, still heaps of time to move those tickets.

Advertising might me included in the TV contract but it still costs a lot of money on top of that to run a campaign.
If there was plenty of time to sell them then they wouldn't have slashed prices this morning.

Canard

Immortal
ORIGIN IS DEAD.....

A direct quote from Mal maninga after three straight series defeats....

i have never heard 1 NSW fan say SOO is dead even after 8 series losses in a row.

NSW the home/Heart of RL...;-);-)

Yes Im off the belief that Mal's baiting comments speak for all of Queensland's supporter base.

Ray Price said that Origin as a concept would never take off, that was a good point well made.

And half of LU as a sample want Origin scrapped, so I think that is a clear indication of how Origin is treated in NSW also.

Canard

Immortal
TICKETS prices for some Origin I tickets at Suncorp Stadium will now be offered for one-third off as rugby league officials seek a sellout.

The ARL Commission and the QRL will release a limited number of silver category seats for $125 for the 100th Origin game on May 28.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...origin-i-tickets/story-fndujljl-1226918020483

How much of a spit in the face is that now to those who rushed out like idiots and refinanced their mortgage to take their family to the Origin this year?

For those that don't yet have tickets to the game in Sydney what incentive is there to buy your tickets anytime soon? Just wait until they discount them and if the price is right personally for you then buy.

Nice little black eye for the game PR wise there.

oikee

Juniors
I am a white collar worker. I fail to see how I am a problem for rugby league. The bloke who sits next to me who is an awesome foursome member this year is also a white collar worker. Beyond the odd salmon lunch that stinks the place up, I fail to see how he is a problem for rugby league either.

The problem is the fact that rugby league is a code being discriminated against over every other code in Australia because of a biase that private schools holds towards the game which continues today.
AFL, Soccer and Union are all played at private schools throughout Australia, and the world.
On the other hand rugby league was banned, and still treated as a outcast for the private school sector, and this is where big money changes hands and influence is made towards our code.
Denying that is denying the future for the code.

It is time and no longer should the game of rugby league be used like some sort of scapegoat for the upper class to be tossed around everytime a player makes the front pages.
It is damaging to the code, damaging to society as a whole for determining which way they send their dollars.
So rugby league is constantly being discriminated against.
The NRL really needs to change this biased outlook so all codes can compete on a equal footing.
I see the ARL dropped the origin ticket prices. No harm in saying you got it wrong, the real problem is the marketing gets it wrong on a regular basis.
They stuff-up at every turn, and should be sacked, cleanout and bring in the yanks to sell and market our code.

Status
Not open for further replies.