What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People prefer to attend games when their teams are winning.

If you're too dumb to understand that I cannot help you.

People should support their teams regardless, you never know when the surprising win will happen. I guess they are as dumb as you and don't understand that and there is no helping them.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As diehards we know this, that's not in dispute. I'm disgusted at what's happened to my team but I'll be making the 2.5-hour roundtrip to ANZ as I do for every game on Friday.

But the point being made - winning is what captures the casual fan. If you say to your mate who doesn't follow NRL "oh mate come to the game today"... chances are you have a better chance of convincing them right now if they go for Manly or Souths than you do if it's Tigers, Canberra or Cronulla.

POPEYE

Coach
As diehards we know this, that's not in dispute. I'm disgusted at what's happened to my team but I'll be making the 2.5-hour roundtrip to ANZ as I do for every game on Friday.

But the point being made - winning is what captures the casual fan. If you say to your mate who doesn't follow NRL "oh mate come to the game today"... chances are you have a better chance of convincing them right now if they go for Manly or Souths than you do if it's Tigers, Canberra or Cronulla.

Interesting how many people think the GF, Origin and International games are the showcase of Rugby League when the the most important game by far any team can win is a regular season home game. Without people being interested in what happens to their local team there is no NRL

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I have noticed ads for the grand final creeping onto tv in recent days. Obvisouly HQ do not give a stuff about regular season games and are instead plugging another event that sells itself almost 2 months before its played.

Its pretty obvious the upcoming thursday night games need all the help they can get to pull a decent crowd. yet we will see nothing to market them i bet

Perth Red

Post Whore
We didn't seem to get much advertising for the contra part of the TV deal this year? Must have spent most of it convincing people to fork out big bucks for SOO.

DC_fan

Coach
Interesting how many people think the GF, Origin and International games are the showcase of Rugby League when the the most important game by far any team can win is a regular season home game. Without people being interested in what happens to their local team there is no NRL

I would drop the International game from your list. But agree totally about the other two.

For sports fans today its all about going to big events. The matches or events that get so heavily promoted you just have to be there even though you might not follow the sport or the teams playing. A perfect example of this is horse racing. How many people who attend the Melbourne Cup are actually keen on racing. For most its their one and only each year at a race meeting. But its Australia's most important race so I just got to be there, to be seen there. Some people who attend the Cup wouldn't know one end of a horse from the other. Baseball is another example. In March we had two MLB teams play at the SCG. The two games they played drew a combines crowd of 80,000. The hype these games received was incredible. In the lead up to games we heard everything from the food that was going to be sold at the games to soil that had to be shipped in for the game to the incredible salaries the players receive. It was incredibly overhyped big event that people just had to attend. But were they Baseball fans and how many of them would show up at a game played here between local teams?

Rugby League is no different. The game has a limited number of fans who will attend regular season games. But there is a lot more people who will attend the big games like state of origin and the grand final

Australians are not sports fans, they are big overly hyped event fans.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I have noticed ads for the grand final creeping onto tv in recent days. Obvisouly HQ do not give a stuff about regular season games and are instead plugging another event that sells itself almost 2 months before its played.

Its pretty obvious the upcoming thursday night games need all the help they can get to pull a decent crowd. yet we will see nothing to market them i bet

To be fair, the NRL is directly & solely responsible for public ticket sales for the Grand Final - the club bear the responsibility of attracting fans to their home game. An organisation like the NRL is always going to market a direct investment ahead of an indirect one.

That - and those ads are probably evidence ticket sales aren't going as well as hoped...

oikee

Juniors
I honestly believe we need a smaller stadium, purpose built in Sydney's west around 50 thousand, so we can play more games in a stadium built for rugby league.
Once this happens, then and only then will our crowds grow. Along with introducing another two Brisbane teams so we can grow bigger crowds to bigger derbies and have more games in Brisbane, like every weekend,,,,and at least one Saturday or Sunday game every two weeks. You can only do this by adding two more Brisbane teams. The NRL has to act to this potential. They seem to be the only ones who cant see the opportunity.

The crowds are ok, for NRL standards. While the NRL continues to use ANZ to sell our code, we will have to put up with crappy crowds. Along with Monday night footy, we are destined to look fugly for TV viewers.

DC_fan

Coach
To be fair, the NRL is directly & solely responsible for public ticket sales for the Grand Final - the club bear the responsibility of attracting fans to their home game.

So should we see ads on TV promoting Penrith home games?

Western_Eel

Juniors
I honestly believe we need a smaller stadium, purpose built in Sydney's west around 50 thousand, so we can play more games in a stadium built for rugby league.
Once this happens, then and only then will our crowds grow. Along with introducing another two Brisbane teams so we can grow bigger crowds to bigger derbies and have more games in Brisbane, like every weekend,,,,and at least one Saturday or Sunday game every two weeks. You can only do this by adding two more Brisbane teams. The NRL has to act to this potential. They seem to be the only ones who cant see the opportunity.

The crowds are ok, for NRL standards. While the NRL continues to use ANZ to sell our code, we will have to put up with crappy crowds. Along with Monday night footy, we are destined to look fugly for TV viewers.

No. if a team isnt drawing big enough crowds then they should move to a suburban ground.
We dont need another stadium just upgrade the ones we already have.
ffs we dont even fill them

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No. if a team isnt drawing big enough crowds then they should move to a suburban ground.
We dont need another stadium just upgrade the ones we already have.
ffs we dont even fill them

But this is because the NRL is played in suburban grounds (as in stadiums build in suburban areas not designed for a big crowd)...

Campbeltown, Brooky, Balmain, ect. areas like these werent designed to have crowds of 20,000 people show up for an afternoon. The streets get congested, theres no parking and there is rarely more that one train line (if any at all). Compare that to Olympic Park, a place that was designed to entertain 100,000+ people a day without stress.

"Centralised stadium" doesnt necessarily mean "huge stadium", just a ground in a central location with proper transport infrustructure and daytime entertainment.

But really, who wants to spend a day hanging out in a CBD when you could be fighting traffic in a random suburb to get to a ground build in the 60s.....

pHyR3

Juniors
But this is because the NRL is played in suburban grounds (as in stadiums build in suburban areas not designed for a big crowd)...

Campbeltown, Brooky, Balmain, ect. areas like these werent designed to have crowds of 20,000 people show up for an afternoon. The streets get congested, theres no parking and there is rarely more that one train line (if any at all). Compare that to Olympic Park, a place that was designed to entertain 100,000+ people a day without stress.

"Centralised stadium" doesnt necessarily mean "huge stadium", just a ground in a central location with proper transport infrustructure and daytime entertainment.

But really, who wants to spend a day hanging out in a CBD when you could be fighting traffic in a random suburb to get to a ground build in the 60s.....

pretty much this. going to Leichardt is an absolute bitch for me, horrible transport and parking is crappy. foods good though, $5 for a 12" hotdog aint bad. better than that bull anz tries to sell.

economies of scale at ANZ. however, its a bit too big for most regular season games.

needs to be another central stadium for tigers and a few other teams to play out of. Dogs should take ANZ and chooks/souths at SFS.

Last edited:

Usain Bolt

Bench

Do you ever have good ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts