What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I don't know what you lot base your expectations on.

These are the H&A crowds Souths v Manly that were bigger than tonight, at any ground (they just all happen to be at the SCG):

R7 S.C.G.44911 08-May-1971
R17 S.C.G.27130 20-Jul-1968
R6 S.C.G.30283 27-Apr-1968
R22 S.C.G.33506 22-Aug-1970

So tonight's crowd is the fifth (almost fourth) highest out of 121 games since WWII, ie. in the top 5%, the highest in the last 40 years and probably a good 10k higher than the last 10-15 years average.

And it is barely a pass mark?

Too many dreams in this thread, not enough reality.

Love a bit of historical analysis.

But 40 odd Years ago. Really

I'm guessing all those games were match of the rounds

NRL2014 is a fair bit different to 1970

And do u really trust the numbers from back then

Brutus

Referee
I don't know what you lot base your expectations on.

These are the H&A crowds Souths v Manly that were bigger than tonight, at any ground (they just all happen to be at the SCG):

R7 S.C.G.44911 08-May-1971
R17 S.C.G.27130 20-Jul-1968
R6 S.C.G.30283 27-Apr-1968
R22 S.C.G.33506 22-Aug-1970

So tonight's crowd is the fifth (almost fourth) highest out of 121 games since WWII, ie. in the top 5%, the highest in the last 40 years and probably a good 10k higher than the last 10-15 years average.

And it is barely a pass mark?

Too many dreams in this thread, not enough reality.

Yes it is barely a pass mark. It's v 1 v 2 for f**ks sake.

Isn't it a shame that Manly and Souths can get 33k at the SCG back in 1970 yet 44 years later 27k at the same ground when it's 1 v 2.

Progress.

I was at the game tonight and those spare seats on the lower deck at the northern end looked f**ked. Shame they couldn't fill those.

Did anyone get the free Subway voucher for Souths scoring more than 40 points?

Last edited:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Yes it is barely a pass mark. It's v 1 v 2 for f**ks sake.

Isn't it a shame that Manly and Souths can get 33k at the SCG back in 1970 yet 44 years later 27k at the same ground when it's 1 v 2.

Progress.

I was at the game tonight and those spare seats on the lower deck at the northern end looked f**ked. Shame they couldn't fill those.

1 v 2, be that as it may, you will always be better going of historical crowds for the same fixture - this is the best estimator of a crowd. Ladder position would bump it up or down a bit: this is probably what put the crowd at 10k more than the recent history average, which is considerable, +70% odd.

Saying "1 v 2 should be x" is baseless and will lead to dissppointment more often than not.

I'm not aware of the context for the late 60s, early 70s crowds, but the world of rugby league and sport in Sydney was a lot different back then, most notably there is a real overexposure of the game now.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Seems like in the 60s 70s the match of the round attracted 10 times what other games got

Also I'm gonna guess that tonight's TV audience of 1.1m was a little more than 1974

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Broncos got 32k against da Eels therefore da Eels are more popular in Brisbane than the Doggies

Game Set Match Jarryd Hayne:cool:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great night at the scg! Good pub crawl up Oxford st, view was fine and bars etc good. Free bus back to central with hardly any que.

Shire Panther

Juniors
It's been a disgrace and virtually non existent. Starting with the Today Show, I watched 3 half hourly news/sports segments and twice AFL was the lead story on their match tonight, and the other was Robbie Farah. No mention of tonight's game. On the channel nine national afternoon news AFL was the lead story, again on the MCG match tonight. Second was Farah then on Sharks away match in NZ with brief mention tonite's games on nine.

This is an outright disgrace from the national broadcaster of our game and why they are allowed to get away with this is mindboggling. Does Gyngell not even watch his own station? Doesn't the station want to boost ratings for tonight's games by mentioning them, build up etc.

Channel 7 integrate many shows mentioning AFL. How Nine keep in business amazes me.
The home of Rugby League.... 9 are an absolute disgrace!!!

hutch

First Grade
What I don't get is that surely it's in their interests to pump up games like last night to increase viewership

I don't think nine even care about increasing ratings. If anything, they can get the rights cheaper next time around stating falling ratings (which they are the cause of).

oikee

Juniors
You think of the great grounds of the world and see they are designed for our code.
Wembley, Old Trafford, Suncorp.
Then you look at the damage Sydney has done to our code by not building a iconic ground for our game. Even now another 300 million is being wasted on a white elephant that nobody attends in huge numbers except for special events, finals, origins, etc.

Syndey needs our own Wembley, our own Old trafford. Until that happens we will be owned by every other code because we are the only suckers playing out of these round Sydney white elephants.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Once a season isn't going to do much, fans have been conditioned to the broncos being on friday night on fta.

My point was if you put a Saturday and sunday arvo schedule together for the broncos and not your one of games they would ave more then they do now, Just my opinion.

beave

Coach
Went to Suncorp last night. $50 to sit in the lower SW corner.

It's like they don't give a shit about ticket pricing, it was a rubbish view. Plus you couldn't see the replay screen closest to our area because its set back into the south stand by about 5m, they seriously need to build some supporting structure in front of the screens and then mount them on that. I sat in a similar spot for origin 3 but up top of the western stand and it was just as shit to see the replay screen on the southern end.

Disappointing crowd too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts