What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Surely you're smarter than this? Our crowds were the highest in Sydney last year. ANZ crowds are higher than non ANZ crowds. Clubs that have a base limited to one corner of Sydney choke and die. We have successfully reached out and have fans all over Sydney. And frankly it is ridiculous for us to get bagged for 11k on a Monday when Easts have hardly got any criticism for 13k on a weekend as reigning premiers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Souths have the second best attendance in the game after Broncos, by a considerable margin

Gee there are some dribblers on this forum out of touch with reality

Without the Good Friday fixture which was dominated in the stands by fans of our club, your average would be pretty ordinary and probably second to several clubs.

BranVan3000

Coach
Without the Good Friday fixture which was dominated in the stands by fans of our club, your average would be pretty ordinary and probably second to several clubs.

Was dominated by Souths fans by far, actually ;) Funny you guys were happy to prop up your numbers last year with the Easter clash, same for Roosters with the round one clash

Fact is that Souths are involved in the biggest contests every year because people of all clubs go to see Souths play and we have the biggest fan base outside Broncos

Timmah

Staff member
Was dominated by Souths fans by far, actually ;) Funny you guys were happy to prop up your numbers last year with the Easter clash, same for Roosters with the round one clash

Fact is that Souths are involved in the biggest contests every year because people of all clubs go to see Souths play and we have the biggest fan base outside Broncos

Most fans I spoke to on both sides of the fence conceded it was probably 55-45% in our favour. Your fans struggled to out-sing ours without the assistance of the PA system and as the game reached it's height, it was the 90%-full south end of the ground making all the noise.

Timmah

Staff member
Surely you're smarter than this? Our crowds were the highest in Sydney last year. ANZ crowds are higher than non ANZ crowds. Clubs that have a base limited to one corner of Sydney choke and die. We have successfully reached out and have fans all over Sydney. And frankly it is ridiculous for us to get bagged for 11k on a Monday when Easts have hardly got any criticism for 13k on a weekend as reigning premiers.

Nobody's suggesting South Sydney limit themselves - but Allianz Stadium is closer to the club's core fanbase. That's an inescapable fact. Take the key games (Dogs, Parra etc) to ANZ, but Allianz needs to be the club's home.

For the record, the Roosters crowd was pretty ordinary - but it was still 2k more than yours, and it was actually against a team with very few fans from 300+ km away. Yours was against a mob who plays some of their home games AT THE SAME GROUND.

For what it's worth I'm pretty filthy on Dragons fans for not boosting the crowd but it's not like their fans are happy with the club at the moment.

BranVan3000

Coach
Most fans I spoke to on both sides of the fence conceded it was probably 55-45% in our favour. Your fans struggled to out-sing ours without the assistance of the PA system and as the game reached it's height, it was the 90%-full south end of the ground making all the noise.
Nonsense, the noise in the ground is all relative to where you are sitting. Which is why the stadium is so shit. You sit near the Burrow, Souths sound louder. Sit nearer the Kennel then the Dogs sound louder etc.

Last year there were more Dogs fans. This year I felt the split was definitely in favour of Souths. But we are splitting peas.

Essentially you are trying to kick up a controversy over a poor Monday night crowd from a team who has had the second best average attendance for 24 months and has contributed to multiple record breaking crowds. You'd think the way people act on here that Souths were one of the worst attended teams in the game

And on the ANZ vs Allianz argument, yes Allianz would be more convenient for our fan base, especially on a Monday night. But much, much harder for away teams. And we would never get blockbusters like the Easter game. There are two big stadiums in Sydney neither of which is definitively the better option

newman

First Grade
Nobody's suggesting South Sydney limit themselves - but Allianz Stadium is closer to the club's core fanbase. That's an inescapable fact. Take the key games (Dogs, Parra etc) to ANZ, but Allianz needs to be the club's home.

For the record, the Roosters crowd was pretty ordinary - but it was still 2k more than yours, and it was actually against a team with very few fans from 300+ km away. Yours was against a mob who plays some of their home games AT THE SAME GROUND.

For what it's worth I'm pretty filthy on Dragons fans for not boosting the crowd but it's not like their fans are happy with the club at the moment.

Bunniesman wouldn't know this though. He lives in a fantasy land in Coffs Harbour and actually believes that Souths fans are evenly spread around NSW and not centred around Botany/ Redfern. An equal amount in every district from Manly to Mudgee. I'd be surprised if he has actually been to Botany (where I work) and seen the Bunnies logos adorning buildings and the dearth of Souths merch as you walk around the streets, which you don't really see anywhere else.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Allianz is out of the way. It's in the far east and an inconvenience for most people to get to. You need to get your head out of 20th century thinking. We have more members west of the CBD than east.

newman

First Grade
Allianz is out of the way. It's in the far east and an inconvenience for most people to get to. You need to get your head out of 20th century thinking. We have more members west of the CBD than east.

Bunniesman wouldn't know this though. He lives in a fantasy land in Coffs Harbour and actually believes that Souths fans are evenly spread around NSW and not centred around Botany/ Redfern. An equal amount in every district from Manly to Mudgee. .

You do realise that the biggest employment hub in Sydney (the CBD) is walking distance to Allianz don't you, you fool? A million people, a literal million go to work in and around the CBD every single day. It's also very handy for people who live in Redfern/Botany/Mascot where like it or not, Souths fans are concentrated.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You do realise that the biggest employment hub in Sydney (the CBD) is walking distance to Allianz don't you, you fool? A million people, a literal million go to work in and around the CBD every single day. It's also very handy for people who live in Redfern/Botany/Mascot where like it or not, Souths fans are concentrated.
Our growth in crowds since moving to ANZ is proof our fans are not concentrated.

Doesn't BM live in the Central coast?

Do you not know where Coffs Harbour is?

Looking back at the Broncos crowd it is pretty good now I admit considering the competition of Origin, Reds & Lions on the same weekend. All 3 codes on at the same time + Origin would be a stacked sporting weekend.

Unfortunate the rain ruined Storm vs Cowboys, would of been way higher than 12k. For a post-SOO is good effort overall but Dragons/Souths is the biggest disappointment.

Manly vs Bulldogs is 1 vs 2 at Brooky should be packed out there, Warriors vs Souths in WA should sell out, the rest should be OK. Besides Canberra on a Monday Night with there current sub 10k crowd form.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Looking back at the Broncos crowd it is pretty good now I admit considering the competition of Origin, Reds & Lions on the same weekend. All 3 codes on at the same time + Origin would be a stacked sporting weekend.

Unfortunate the rain ruined Storm vs Cowboys, would of been way higher than 12k. For a post-SOO is good effort overall but Dragons/Souths is the biggest disappointment.

:D

newman

First Grade
Our growth in crowds since moving to ANZ is proof our fans are not concentrated.

Do you not know where Coffs Harbour is?

Your growth in crowds and membership can be attributed to many things. All of them to be applauded. That does not change, one iota, that your main fanbase is geographically centred around Redfern/Mascot. That's why you train there and your leagues club is (was) there. Your junior football competition is in that area.
I'm typing this in Matraville right now. The local pub is chock full of bunnies merch and memorabilia and the joint is busiest during Souths games. Yes there are Souths supporters in Belmore, just like there are the odd Manly Supporters in Cronulla, but to argue this point is just so foolish it isn't funny. But you like playing the fool don't you?

ek999

First Grade
Nonsense, the noise in the ground is all relative to where you are sitting. Which is why the stadium is so shit. You sit near the Burrow, Souths sound louder. Sit nearer the Kennel then the Dogs sound louder etc.

Sat just a couple of bays aeound from the Burrow and the only Souths chants I could hear were from the speakers. It was all Bulldogs.

It wasn't a poor showing from Rabbitohs fans in terms of numbers (definately more Souths than Bulldogs), the Bulldogs fans were just louder

ek999

First Grade
Also

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2014/06/02/eels_v_rabbitohs_to_remain_at_parramatta.html

The Dyldam Parramatta Eels have today declined an NRL request to relocate the club's Round 19 NRL Telstra Premiership match against the South Sydney Rabbitohs from Pirtek Stadium to ANZ Stadium.
This decision has been made with consideration to Members and fans and commercial partners, as well as football operations.
The Eels would like to thank the NRL for its openness in discussing its preference to relocate the game, but believe the best outcome for all stakeholders is for it to remain at Parramatta’s Pirtek Stadium.
“Pirtek Stadium has been a fortress for the Eels this year, and after promising our Members and fans the game would be played there, we fully intend to honour that commitment,” Eels CEO Scott Seward said.
“The Eels have played at this venue since 1947, and a situation like this is why the club is campaigning for an upgrade to Pirtek Stadium, to allow more Blue and Gold Members and fans to watch the Eels play at our spiritual home.”

newman

First Grade
Hey Bunniesman can you tell me where this Pub is?

Hint: It's not in Homebush.

cauliflower-hotel-9.jpg

And this is the official song of the Burrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWCb7Zuw6g

This song holds a special place inside the heart of each and every Burrow member, and soon to be, South Sydney supporter. Botany Road is ONLY sung when The Burrow is confident that the South Sydney Rabbitohs are home with the 2 points. It is tipped to be the first song which will make its way around the entire ground.

Botany Road

Tune: Country Road by John Denver

Botany Road, take me home
To the place, I belong
Back to Redfern, South of Sydney
Take me home, Botany Road

So the supporter group actually sing about going back to Botany, which is nearer to the SFS, while at ANZ. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts