What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

newman

First Grade
That is pathetic. I hope they don't get the funding upgrade if they're going to not going to care about rugby league. Any game that looks like a sell out should be moved.

It's brilliant. Why should Parra move a game to their rivals home ground? Parra stadium will be rockin and will look a million times better than a half full ANZ.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Majority of Souths/Eels games over the years played at ANZ have had crowds of less than what Parramtta Stadiums capacity is,Souths are not a big enough club for us to move this away from Parramatta Stadium,great decision.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Nonsense, the noise in the ground is all relative to where you are sitting. Which is why the stadium is so shit. You sit near the Burrow, Souths sound louder. Sit nearer the Kennel then the Dogs sound louder etc.

Last year there were more Dogs fans. This year I felt the split was definitely in favour of Souths. But we are splitting peas.

Essentially you are trying to kick up a controversy over a poor Monday night crowd from a team who has had the second best average attendance for 24 months and has contributed to multiple record breaking crowds. You'd think the way people act on here that Souths were one of the worst attended teams in the game

And on the ANZ vs Allianz argument, yes Allianz would be more convenient for our fan base, especially on a Monday night. But much, much harder for away teams. And we would never get blockbusters like the Easter game. There are two big stadiums in Sydney neither of which is definitively the better option
I've heard plenty of anecdotal evidence from both fans around different parts of the ground and even staff at the ground who were confident the Dogs made plenty more noise and probably dominated the crowd number slightly. The Rabbitohs members bays on the western side were disappointingly empty.
Allianz is out of the way. It's in the far east and an inconvenience for most people to get to. You need to get your head out of 20th century thinking. We have more members west of the CBD than east.
So why are you still called South Sydney then? Serious question.
It's brilliant. Why should Parra move a game to their rivals home ground? Parra stadium will be rockin and will look a million times better than a half full ANZ.
Not sure if you've watched any NRL last few years but the Eels have been using ANZ as a home ground for at least 5 or 6 now. Game v Souths is a prime example of one that should be played at ANZ, especially if both sides are in form. 25,000 there or more is easily better for everyone than 18-19k at Pirtek.

papabear

Juniors
I live in redfern, and theres souths stuff everywhere.

The pub next to the suicide towers are full of patrons wearing members hats.

There is no doubt in my mind, that souths would average far far far higher crowds at the SFS if they had reciprocal rights with same or similar big Sydney sides.

They are the local team and most sports people are partial to them for that reason, go west and they are either despised or not considered.

I do not know where BM gets his opinion from??

If Allianz is in the far east, south Sydney is in the far east.

newman

First Grade
Not sure if you've watched any NRL last few years but the Eels have been using ANZ as a home ground for at least 5 or 6 now. Game v Souths is a prime example of one that should be played at ANZ, especially if both sides are in form. 25,000 there or more is easily better for everyone than 18-19k at Pirtek.

I have a box at ANZ and attend there about 10 times a year. I forget who is calling it a "home ground" quite regularly.

I get quite a kick out of being there entertaining clients one week for a Souths game and hearing the announcer carrying on about "This is our house!" then being there for a Waratahs or Bulldogs game the next week and hearing about how it is their house too. It's funny when Souths play the Bulldogs and one of them is the away team at their own ground.

Timmah

Staff member
This is what shits me - no club had the foresight to play there at the start apart from the Bulldogs. Souths moved in 7 years later and try to make it their "home" despite being nowhere near their actual base.

newman

First Grade
This is what shits me - no club had the foresight to play there at the start apart from the Bulldogs. Souths moved in 7 years later and try to make it their "home" despite being nowhere near their actual base.

But but but Souffs have more members in the west!

JonnoM

Juniors
I live in redfern, and theres souths stuff everywhere.

The pub next to the suicide towers are full of patrons wearing members hats.

There is no doubt in my mind, that souths would average far far far higher crowds at the SFS if they had reciprocal rights with same or similar big Sydney sides.

South Sydney
SFS 167 games @ 9,964
ANZ 86 games @16,552

Timmah

Staff member
ANZ era also correlates with on-field success and the Crowe/PHaC ownership tenures, SFS never had that opportunity. Hardly a balanced stat given how rubbish Souths were 1990-2005

Perth Red

Post Whore
Proof positive that PR is just one long elaborate troll account.

Really? The old "I don't like what your saying so you must be a troll" line.
Care to prove me wrong? Of all the games played this season Sydney v out of town team (the only true way to measure a clubs home fanbase) only 2 clubs with 3 games managed to break the 15k crowd. Whilst 10 games were sub 11k crowds. Rest in the 11-15k range, majority sub 14k.

JonnoM

Juniors
ANZ era also correlates with on-field success and the Crowe/PHaC ownership tenures, SFS never had that opportunity. Hardly a balanced stat given how rubbish Souths were 1990-2005

Maybe your right,but you cannot automatically assume that a move to the SFS will guarantee higher attendance figures for South Sydney.
I do agree though that South Sydney should play the majority of their games at the SFS,but I really do not think it will dramatically improve their attendances

franklin2323

Immortal
Really? The old "I don't like what your saying so you must be a troll" line.
Care to prove me wrong? Of all the games played this season Sydney v out of town team (the only true way to measure a clubs home fanbase) only 2 clubs with 3 games managed to break the 15k crowd. Whilst 10 games were sub 11k crowds. Rest in the 11-15k range, majority sub 14k.

Different timeslots, Boring opponents any number of reasons why crowds vary. Every team has varying crowds it isn't just a Sydney problem

Dogs Of War

Coach
Nonsense, the noise in the ground is all relative to where you are sitting. Which is why the stadium is so shit. You sit near the Burrow, Souths sound louder. Sit nearer the Kennel then the Dogs sound louder etc.

I sat literally right behind the Burrow in the corporate seats (those nice padded ones) on the day. It's why I asked what the deal was with the Souths supporters in the burrow putting there hands up and wiggling things fingers was supposed to represent. Either way, both ends of the stadium were packed with Dogs fans, as well as L4 where all the members were placed (I swapped tickets with a friend), and I can tell you that the Burrow was very quiet on the day, and Dogs fans especially from that South end (as the L4 dogs fans were that end as well) were much louder. Heaps of Dogs fans spread throughout the middle of the ground as well. More like 60/40 split to the Dogs.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I've heard plenty of anecdotal evidence from both fans around different parts of the ground and even staff at the ground who were confident the Dogs made plenty more noise and probably dominated the crowd number slightly. The Rabbitohs members bays on the western side were disappointingly empty.

So why are you still called South Sydney then? Serious question.

lol Souths and Parra's crowd average over the past 7 years for games played at ANZ is less than Parramatta Stadiums capacity,also Souths and Parra have only got 25k once in the past 7 years at ANZ

Delicious decision to leave it at Parra Stadium

guyver78

Juniors
This is such a stupid and silly argument. Almost like 2 religious ministers arguing that their religion is the correct one. :sarcasm:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
This is such a stupid and silly argument. Almost like 2 religious ministers arguing that their religion is the correct one. :sarcasm:

I never knew that facts were considered silly

Souths/Eels crowd average at ANZ for the past 7 years is around 18k which is less that what Parramatta Stadium holds,7 years is an absolutely gigantic sample size,in that 7 years nothing suggests that this season's round 19 clash between the two sides should be moved from Parramatta Stadium.

Scott Seward and Haynetrain are correct,we both got dis,nobody else got dis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts