What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Broncos are an embarrassment,there are teams in the MLB who play a whopping 81 home games a season that average more than the Broncos and have less population than Brisbane,there are teams in the EPL who represent little villages of 10 people with higher crowd averages than the Broncos

Broncos a disgrace to world sport

Lol look at this f**kwit comparing Aussie audiences to European and American ones.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
An average of 16K is not shit, in fact on a worldwide scale a 16K crowd average is quite respectable. It only looks shit when you compare it with the AFL - who's crowd numbers are at an incredible level.

I'd say our crowds are mediocre, and we have the potential to get much better.

You're spot on, it ain't terrible and let's face it RL is a game that many fans like to watch from the comfort of their home hence our big TV deal. The NRL's TV deal is bigger than any RU television deals by plenty including the Top 14, just because we have some ordinary crowds doesn't translate that the game is in decline.

guyver78

Juniors
An average of 16K is not shit, in fact on a worldwide scale a 16K crowd average is quite respectable. It only looks shit when you compare it with the AFL - who's crowd numbers are at an incredible level.

I'd say our crowds are mediocre, and we have the potential to get much better.

You're missing the point, yes 16K isn't that bad at all but you take away the Brisbane Broncos, ANZAC/Easter games and 2 or 3 other games that pull in crowds such as the season opener between Rabbitohs/Roosters and that 16K average very quickly slips down to less then 10K.

All I'm saying is that a few 40,000 plus crowds to bring our averages up for the year don't necessarily mean we're doing any better then 5 years ago. Fact is your average Sydney crowd between any 2 Sydney teams on most given dates isn't anything to get excited about.

guyver78

Juniors
You sound upset that Reni Maitua once beat the Broncos 42-22,it happened a while brah,let it go.

haha Haynetrain what are you dribbling mate? Have you ever been up to Brisbane to watch the Broncos play?

They have everything that Sydney teams don't have and more. Went up there for the first time this year and saw it for myself.

-Monopoly on the whole city
-Great stadium in a convenient location that's within walking distance from the city
-Lots of pubs/clubs/bars right outside the stadium

When I went up there, there was a real footy fever everywhere you went that you generally don't really get here in Sydney unless it's Origin night or Grand Final. It was like a carnival around the stadium that Friday night.

You walk into any pub and there's advertising that the Broncos are playing everywhere, hell even the pub I went to had a special on food for Friday night footy. People wearing Broncos jerseys everywhere you go and most people happy to talk footy. Having my Souths jersey on and talking to people everywhere you know they love their Broncos/QLD.

In Sydney unless you're into the footy, the average Joe doesn't gives a toss that Manly are playing the Bulldogs or Souths the Tigers on a Friday night.

I saw for myself and understood why this club is a mile in front and in a League of it's own both financially and crowd wise. Lower the ticket prices by 20%-30% and Suncorp would have 45,000+ Broncos supporters every game. Here we sell tickets for as little as $10 and people still can't be assed going to the SFS/ANZ.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're missing the point, yes 16K isn't that bad at all but you take away the Brisbane Broncos, ANZAC/Easter games and 2 or 3 other games that pull in crowds such as the season opener between Rabbitohs/Roosters and that 16K average very quickly slips down to less then 10K.

All I'm saying is that a few 40,000 plus crowds to bring our averages up for the year don't necessarily mean we're doing any better then 5 years ago. Fact is your average Sydney crowd between any 2 Sydney teams on most given dates isn't anything to get excited about.

Sydney clubs have 11-14k fans, non Sydney clubs around 15-18k on avg. broncos aside. There are 4-5sydney clubs with potential to be consistently bigger. The rest are dead weight crowd wise. Likewise out of Sydney clubs there are 2 dead weights crowd wise and 5 positives. Bring in WA and Brisbane 2 and that would be 7 out of Sydney hopefully. The sht Sydney clubs who knows what to do with them, maybe we just accept there is likely to be 3-4 clubs who will never draw big crowds.

Last edited:

supercharger

Juniors
You can only measure fact on what you have. Give us more games and we shall know more.

While I certainly would like to see an expansion team located here in perth I can understand the apprehension that exists who knows if the gate would be big enough and consistent enough to support the team in the long term? The first season would be fine, but then the next seasons — especially if the team tanks the way expansions traditionally do — would be a lot tougher.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem is we can't possibly know and never will until we get a team. We have jumped through all the hoops; improve jnr development tick, improve stadium tick, show there is a fanbase tick. There is no further way of proving we are ready fan wise other than getting decent crowds when we have the opportunity which we have done for years on the trot now. At some point you have to say yes let's take a punt and invest in expanding the game. There is no better time or opportunity than Perth now to bring in a totally new city and fanbase into the game. Of course it will take time, money and hard work, nothing comes easy but geez let's have some faith in our product.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You can only measure fact on what you have. Give us more games and we shall know more.

You're so hopelessly naive. You don't see any risk in a new franchise? If that was the case new teams would be rolling off the production line. The stakeholders have told the NRL there is no money in a 9th game for the timebeing. Fox and 9 don't want or need a 9th game. A 17th and 18th team would not be growing the pie, they'd be splitting the same pie into smaller pieces. We're not ready for new teams anytime before 2020.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol of course there is risk. Show me any investment with potential high returns that doesn't have risk. There seems to be very mixed messages about the interest in a ninth game as stated by gygnell who claims a ninth game was never discussed as part of this deal. Good luck getting much more in the next deal without something extra to offer.

All of that aside one of the kpi's of the NRL has to be growing the game at all levels. Without an NRL team to drive interest to a whole new level we will stagnate in a potentially prime growth opportunity area. Anyway come over to the expansion forum if you want to discuss expansion pros and cons further. Let's get back to discussing why current NRL clubs are drawing sht crowds.

Also, the very same NRL clubs who's inability to get there house in order after decades of premierships and success is what truly holding back expansion eg Manly. It's 2014 and majority of the clubs are still poorly run for a professional competition, it's annoying that a good portion of clubs go to the begging bowl instead of doing something about there inability to draw crowds and stability in 'heartland'. That's the real problem.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
The real problem is clubs like Manly and Cronulla.
Its all in the name. Suburbs will never grow the game around the country. We need to be bringing in cities with millions of people, then get the game on TV.
Manly will only ever have Manly supporters, Cronulla the same.
Plus they dont have great junior bases, while we continue to prop these clubs up, we are wasting time and allowing other codes continue to grow into cities of millions unabated.

We are the most backward code on the planet.

83 thousand tonite. Four hundred and 87. New Record to watch NSW go down. Wati wont be their to help them tonite.

papabear

Juniors
You're so hopelessly naive. You don't see any risk in a new franchise? If that was the case new teams would be rolling off the production line. The stakeholders have told the NRL there is no money in a 9th game for the timebeing. Fox and 9 don't want or need a 9th game. A 17th and 18th team would not be growing the pie, they'd be splitting the same pie into smaller pieces. We're not ready for new teams anytime before 2020.

BM really?

the pie doesn't grow itself, we need a team in perth to grow the pie.

Teams like easts, manly and the sharks do not grow the pie they just eat an ever increasing chunk of the pie grown by other clubs like souths. But just because we have shit teams doesn't mean we should be closing our minds to opportunities.

That said, I trust the ARLC are more business savy then yourself and are not just dictated by the clubs trying to keep the status quo and recognise the need to grow / evolve or perish.

juro

Bench
Doing my comparison of games again (see http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...postcount=2019), We had our 5th round with crowds down on average. Round 13 (75k) was 10k down on the average of the equivalent games from 2009-2013 (85k). As the graph shows, this is pretty standard for Round 14 over the period.

crowd_2014_14.png

The biggest fall came from Titans vs Storm (-7k), another victim of Monday nights. This was the Titans' lowest ever crowd.

The Other negatives were:
- Bulldogs vs Eels -3k (crowds ranging from 15k to 35 in last 5 years)
- Roosters vs Knights -1k (lowest crowd for this fixture since 2009)

The one positive was:
- Panthers vs Dragons +2k (biggest crowd for this fixture since 2009)

Souths vs Tigers was marginally down.

Next week's par crowd total is 91k, but I can't see us even getting close to that.

My guesses are:
Raiders vs Bulldogs - 9k
Warriors vs Broncos - 16k
Sharks vs Sea_Eagles - 10k
Storm vs Eels - 13k
Titans vs Dragons - 11K
Knights vs Cowboys - 14k
Total: 73k

oikee

Juniors
BM really?

the pie doesn't grow itself, we need a team in perth to grow the pie.

Teams like easts, manly and the sharks do not grow the pie they just eat an ever increasing chunk of the pie grown by other clubs like souths. But just because we have shit teams doesn't mean we should be closing our minds to opportunities.

That said, I trust the ARLC are more business savy then yourself and are not just dictated by the clubs trying to keep the status quo and recognise the need to grow / evolve or perish.

Nobody should be saying to get rid of Mnaly or Cronulla, but what these clubs need to be doing is expanding their grassroots and support base by taking half their games to another city or state.
Cronulla had a chance to go to Adelaide and refused. That is just bad management and lack of vision.
Manly had a chance to grow at the Sunshine Coast and left the club high and dry.
These are the reasons why the game is stagnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.