What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evenflow

Bench
This, we paid $55for sideline seats, then when it started raining we got soaked and ended up moving behind the sticks where the roof keeps you dry! The storm supporters clubs also base themselves in the GA areas. Like most stadiums they should make the main stand opposite the camera GA for $25 a seat. Would make the grounds look a lot better.

While i certainly agree that Storm should drop their prices a bit (especially on the sides) i don't think they should drop them to $25 on the camera side just to make it look better on tv. For one, the sides at AAMI park are prime real estate given the closeness to the action and gradient of the stands so i think about $40 is a reasonable price.

Besides, a more important point is the NRL/Channel 9 don't seem to give a flying f**k what the crowds look like on tv so why should the onus be on the clubs to rectify that? If they schedule the right games at the right times to maximize those crowds instead of trying to maximize tv ratings then they'll stand a hell of a better chance of getting better crowds.

:lol: True

:lol:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
When I said marketing funds I didn't mean flyers in letter boxes around GC

I meant something like a marque player allowance for emerging markets

The competition are propping up the suns with $100m over 10 years

What is NRL going ?

guyver78

Juniors
Yeah back in Brisbane. I got the 6am flight. And wow was I poorly, resembled a slapped arse. Went to work and did NOTHING.

Yeah I must admit, as a NSW fan it is a strange feeling. For me it was like being a Souths supporter all these years. You kinda get used to losing for sooo long you just expect it every year and anything more is just a bonus.

Most Origin games are 50/50 games anyway, Thaiday doesn't drop that ball then QLD win which would have made id very difficult for NSW to go up there and win another one at Suncorp.

In saying that, QLD did starting to show their age and the fact that they couldn't score in both games proved that. They just weren't as potent as the QLD of old with Thurston/Cronk/Lockyer. The old QLD could get into an arm wrestle with you but they would eventually score on you, this time that potency wasn't there anymore.

I think this Origin was more a case of QLD getting older/slower as opposed to NSW finally beating this team.

franklin2323

Immortal
I have noticed Saturday suits them more than any day.

Of course. Aside from the most diehard footy fan. Surfing or othert stuff takes priority. Add in expensive tickets and an average team. Of course with the TV rights the way they are crowds will suffer. Still 12k is fine

Billythekid

First Grade
The knights lost 7 straight and they were on the bottom of the ladder. There is also the whole financial fiasco going on. Throw in the fact that it was a freezing monday night against the cowboys and that's pretty much as bad of a situation as you could ask for. I think it was actually a decent crowd.

juro

Bench
Doing my comparison of games again (see http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...postcount=2019), As expected, We had our 6th round with crowds down on average. Round 15 (77k) was 14k down on the average of the equivalent games from 2009-2013 (91k). As the graph shows, this is pretty standard for Round 15 over the period, with losses of 11-18k.

crowd_2014_15.png

The biggest fall came from Titans vs Storm (-8k). Titans are at a very low ebb. This game used to attract 20k+ but that seems a long time ago...

The Other negatives were:
- Knights vs Cowboys -4k (lowest crowd for this fixture since 2008)
- Warriors vs Broncos -4k
- Raiders vs Bulldogs -1k (lowest crowd for this fixture since 2009)

The one positive was:
- Sharks vs Sea Eagles +3k

Storm vs Eels was marginally down.

Next week's par crowd total is 107k, and I'm hopeful of a slight increase on that.

My guesses are:
Sea Eagles vs Roosters 14k
Broncos vs Sharks 26k
Tigers vs Raiders 14k
Cowboys vs Rabbitohs 15k
Eels vs Knights 16k
Warriors vs Panthers 12k
Dragons vs Storm 10k
Total: 109k

Tiki Godzilla

Juniors
Why is everyone so obsessed on this forum with big crowds?

I hate big crowds. People are dicks. Lining up for food and drinks sucks. I like it when there is room to stretch out in the stadium/ground.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Heads up juro - your image cuts across the sidebar and means half of your post goes missing. Try resizing the graphic to 500px wide if u can

juro

Bench
Heads up juro - your image cuts across the sidebar and means half of your post goes missing. Try resizing the graphic to 500px wide if u can
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm trying to make it smaller, but the image hosting site is blocked on my work computer. Do you know whether there is a way to reduce it on this site, or does it always size it the same as the original?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm trying to make it smaller, but the image hosting site is blocked on my work computer. Do you know whether there is a way to reduce it on this site, or does it always size it the same as the original?

If you use tinypic is will resize images when you upload them if you select in the drop down their intended purpose.

Like this (selected msg board)

29bk1e9.png

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
The graph seems to indicate that this season has been much more level than other outings in terms of the dip and we're now about where we were in 2011-2013.

I can't believe how bad the final portion of 2013 was for crowds. What an outrageous dip.

Cheers for that Juro, sensational to see it like that.

juro

Bench
Thanks Dogs Of War. Saves me doing it.

As for how we are tracking, we're on track with previous years. However, we were on track last year as well. 2013 was very unusual, because we kept falling well after the Origin period, all the way to the final round when it recovered a little.

Will 2014 be a repeat of 2013, or more like 2009-12? Only time will tell, I guess...

RWB

Bench
Comp is a lot more hotly contested this year.

At this point last year I think it was pretty clearly who the top sides were.

Should fare well for crowds.

Jason Maher

Immortal
By the by, there is no way in hell there were 12,000 at Robina on Sunday. That would imply the ground was ~45% full. It was nowhere near that.

Status
Not open for further replies.