What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
Panthers Vs Cowboys delivering a bumper TV audience?

Pass that doobie along, you've had enough.

guyver78

Juniors
Round 23 Rabbitohs v Broncos at ANZ Stadium;

This would have been a perfect game to play in perth on a Friday night with a 7.30pm WA KO giving a 9:30pm live game into Sydney and Brisbane. Would have got 20k plus and probably sold out. Instead it will prob get 14k at ANZ and look like another terrible rattling around crowd. sigh.

They could have then shown the Panthers v Cowboys as the 7:30pm live game into both states as well giving bumper Tv audiences. Two live games featuring a Qlnd v NSw team in each.

Why as a Souths supporter would I want this game played in Perth for? We take 1 home game there every year which is more then enough.

Anyway it's 1 thing to say we could have played this game in Perth IF for instance Perth had offer a 70-80K capacity stadium such as ANZ that they could actually 90% fill up for the game but if all Perth has to offer is 20,000 supporters then what's the point??

14K in Sydney is no different to 20K in Perth. If anything the game preparation is just more annoying for the players given that they have to travel, play in a different time zone and essentially give up their home ground advantage.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Well done NRL, thankyou for a great schedule and the 3 Thursday night games you have given us :(

*Round 23 Rabbitohs v Broncos at ANZ Stadium;
*Round 24 Eels v Sea Eagles at Parramatta Stadium
*Round 25 Bulldogs v Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium; and
*Round 26 Roosters v Rabbitohs at Allianz Stadium.

bjE2pn8.jpg

lockyno1

Post Whore
Round 23 Rabbitohs v Broncos at ANZ Stadium;

This would have been a perfect game to play in perth on a Friday night with a 7.30pm WA KO giving a 9:30pm live game into Sydney and Brisbane. Would have got 20k plus and probably sold out.

Yeah...and get ANOTHER career ending injury...thanks but no thanks. Every game in WA there has been some major injury involving the sides I go for. Plus NO! The Rabbitohs give WA enough games you don't need another one when you haven't got that amount this year anyway!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah The Rabbitohs give WA enough games you don't need another one when you haven't got that amount this year anyway!

The Rabbitohs showed their fighting qualities on Saturday night, coming from behind to win 34-18 in front of a record 20,267 people - the biggest crowd since the venue was made rectangular.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why as a Souths supporter would I want this game played in Perth for? We take 1 home game there every year which is more then enough.

Anyway it's 1 thing to say we could have played this game in Perth IF for instance Perth had offer a 70-80K capacity stadium such as ANZ that they could actually 90% fill up for the game but if all Perth has to offer is 20,000 supporters then what's the point??

14K in Sydney is no different to 20K in Perth. If anything the game preparation is just more annoying for the players given that they have to travel, play in a different time zone and essentially give up their home ground advantage.

As a souths supporter I can understand why you wouldn;t, as a RL supporter I would hope you would understand why you would.

14k at ANZ is no different than 20k at nib? Don't talk silly. One makes the game look like backyard footy, one makes it looks like a vibrant sport people want to go and watch.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeah those games could have drawn far far bigger if they were not on a school night.

That said, the bunnies boss has repeatedly said he doesn't give a shit about crowd figures.

Thats just flat out not true....

He said he didnt care what the crowd looked like as long as the most people possible turn up; so basically 20k at Redfern (100% full) < 30k at ANZ (40% full).

so yeah, no.

thorson1987

Coach
Yeah...and get ANOTHER career ending injury...thanks but no thanks. Every game in WA there has been some major injury involving the sides I go for. Plus NO! The Rabbitohs give WA enough games you don't need another one when you haven't got that amount this year anyway!

Yep, great excuse not to move a game.

f**king idiot.

guyver78

Juniors
As a souths supporter I can understand why you wouldn;t, as a RL supporter I would hope you would understand why you would.

14k at ANZ is no different than 20k at nib? Don't talk silly. One makes the game look like backyard footy, one makes it looks like a vibrant sport people want to go and watch.

Mate we take 3 games away from ANZ stadium each year which is probably 2 too many. Anymore then that and we might as well rename the club from South Sydney to "Australia Rabbitohs". What would be the point of me renewing my season ticketed membership??? Each year we play 1 home game at;

1. WA (Usually vs Warriors, sometimes Broncos)
2. Cairns (Usually against the Titans, this year against the Knights)
3. Gosford (Usually against Manly as they hardly bring any supporters to away games anyway although for the first time this year it was their home game.)

That's almost 1/4 of our home games played away from ANZ. I know the Dogs took a game up there this year but why dont other clubs like the Roosters, Tigers, Sharks or even the Panthers take a game to WA to promote Rugby League? Souths take more then enough home games away to promote Rugby League, let the other clubs do their bit now.

So from a RL perspective it might be good for Perth but for the club, the fans and players it sux, it sux because you're playing in a different time zone, different stadium not to mention the annoying 5 hour flight and the fact that it's really not a home game anymore.

So I have to disagree with you with the whole 14K vs 20K concept. It's 1 thing if Perth had a World class facility such as ANZ, MCG, Suncorp or SFS to name a few and the game guaranteed a 50K sellout crowd but if all Perth has to offer is a 25K capacity stadium that will get 20K at best it's hardly all that enticing hence why there aren't all that many clubs taking games away to Perth.

Besides if Souths wanted a stadium to look full they could always take 1 game back to Redfern Oval where 16-20K would look full without all the hassles of going to Perth but then again that kind of defies the whole purpose of trying to squash these crappy little 20K capacity grounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree mate and the big issue is that it is still left to clubs at their discretion if they take games away. It needs to be a national strategy led and funded by the NRL to grow the game. it's crazy that in a growth market like Perth you get a couple of games at start of season that give the game a real shot in the arm, media attention and people interested then have to wait 12 months before anything else happens. It shouldn't be up to Souths to be saddling all the work in growing new markets, that should be the NRL's job with a consistent and planned schedule of games in non NRL cities and financial compensation to teams for the inconveniance of moving games.

re perth conservative estimates out the profit of holding a game in perth at over $250k, (20k tickets at an avg $35 plus corporate sales and Govt backing) I have no idea why more peams don't bring games here. nib is now a decent stadium and 20k in it looks great on TV compared to 70,000 empty seats at ANZ.

guyver78

Juniors
Totally agree mate and the big issue is that it is still left to clubs at their discretion if they take games away. It needs to be a national strategy led and funded by the NRL to grow the game. it's crazy that in a growth market like Perth you get a couple of games at start of season that give the game a real shot in the arm, media attention and people interested then have to wait 12 months before anything else happens. It shouldn't be up to Souths to be saddling all the work in growing new markets, that should be the NRL's job with a consistent and planned schedule of games in non NRL cities and financial compensation to teams for the inconveniance of moving games.

re perth conservative estimates out the profit of holding a game in perth at over $250k, (20k tickets at an avg $35 plus corporate sales and Govt backing) I have no idea why more peams don't bring games here. nib is now a decent stadium and 20k in it looks great on TV compared to 70,000 empty seats at ANZ.

Exactly how profitable it is to take home games to Perth we'll never know as we don't have balance sheets in front of us so all we can do is sit here, speculate and guess. I think its also a bit more complicated then that as clubs would have various agreements with sponsors and stadium trusts.

Like you say tho, the NRL would need to provide more of an incentive and financial compensation for teams to take games up there. Theoretically if 6 teams took a home game up there then that would be OK but i'm guessing at this stage there isn't a carrot that's big enough for any other team to bite because if there was you'd see more games up there.

Also, the Rabbitohs have a pretty big following and a big supporter group in WA, could you guarantee that the Roosters, Sharks or Sea Eagles would also sell their home games out up there??? Probably Not...

Personally I hate it when Souths take games away to the other side of the country as the only people that really benefit is the NRL, the club to a certain extent, fox sports/9 and the people of that town. The real supporters, sponsors, coaches and players suffer regardless of what they tell you publicly.

papabear

Juniors
Thats just flat out not true....

He said he didnt care what the crowd looked like as long as the most people possible turn up; so basically 20k at Redfern (100% full) < 30k at ANZ (40% full).

so yeah, no.
Umm it is true I heard him on the radio carrying on about revenue and yield being important whilst crowd figures were very small in importance compared to the above two.

Which is fair enough in my opinion coming from a business background, but from a football background and entertainment value not really.

Look maybe I heard wrong but I do remember it.

Diesel

Referee
My guess, 19063
17000 Bulldogs supporters & 40 Manly supporters and a two thousand neutrals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts