What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel

Referee
Totally agree with this. Given the size of Sydney you need 4 major stadium with a minimum 30000 capacity. You have 3 codes who can share them.

It cannot be that hard.

But any thought of doing the Victorian thing and having only two is pointless.

3 major rectangular stadiums and a few surburban grounds is the Sydney model that'll be the most likely one they'll go to.

Kograh's a goner, WIN needs more games, Manly is supposedly getting an upgrade and I can't see the Sharks going anywhere, Panthers will most likely stay out west leaving Parra, Wests and Dogs as full time tenants of any new WS Stadium with Penrith being a part time one

beave

Coach

They have experts for most aspects in the sport, you would be highly naive to think each of the clubs/franchises wouldn't have people involved in marketing and so forth to ensure decent crowds and/or improvement in game day experience. I've been to roughly 10 live games of the NFL and the game day experience shits all over ours but obviously the more money you throw at an event the potential is endless.

The one thing I noticed at the various games I have been to is that the NFL fans are willing to go the extra mile wether it be rubbish weather or rocking up to a carpark near the stadium 5 hours beforehand to 'tail gate'. Sure they have the population over there to support and sustain massive crowds and player salaries and there's only 8 home games a year but when you consider the average price of a beer and game ticket (and food) to a pro american football game and then the wage of the average american, it's pretty impressive how big their sport is.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The Manly crowd is as mediocre as usual, at least it isn't a surprise.

The Dogs crowd on the other hand was deplorable and way below expectation. I went back through the thread this week and most people were expecting over 20k. 3rd v 4th, 2 Sydney teams. It got 15k last year with Penrith in much worse form. 20k wasn't an unrealistic expectation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Our crowds have been ordinary due to a horror schedule. Home games v Roosters, Eels and Manly minus Origin players, Sharks on a Monday night, Cowboys on a Saturday. Rabbitohs got the home draw for Easter this year too.

Hopefully we get a boost with WT and Souths coming up but it's just been a shit year for us schedule wise, simple as that.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Raelene has a few questions to answer

Dogs may record a pretty significant drop in average this year

For all todds faults. He had some pretty good crowd strategies

RWB

Bench
Crowds float between Swans/Waratahs/Roosters depending on form and whoever is the in-thing at the time.

Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out... All 3 teams play out of Moore Park.

It always shows in the members stand up top like I'm expecting it will tomorrow night.

supercharger

Juniors
Do u think NFL averages 45k per game by total accident

Actually they average around 65,000 and have done so for sometime. But the NFL do not have a crowd expert working for them.

They have experts for most aspects in the sport, you would be highly naive to think each of the clubs/franchises wouldn't have people involved in marketing and so forth to ensure decent crowds and/or improvement in game day experience. I've been to roughly 10 live games of the NFL and the game day experience shits all over ours but obviously the more money you throw at an event the potential is endless.

Teams in the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and CFL invest in staff whose specific job is to sell tickets.

Most teams in these league employ between 10 to 50 outbound sales professionals whose job is to build relationships with fans and sell products that meet their needs, such as group outings, season tickets, or premium seats.

Take a look at a staff directory from any team in the leagues I mentioned earlier and even teams in minor league baseball, lacrosse and major league soccer and you will see that the highest percentage of employees in the front office come under the sales umbrella.
Generally teams make over 2,000 calls a week, with close rates in the 3 to 5 percent range.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Teams in the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and CFL invest in staff whose specific job is to sell tickets.

Most teams in these league employ between 10 to 50 outbound sales professionals whose job is to build relationships with fans and sell products that meet their needs, such as group outings, season tickets, or premium seats.

Take a look at a staff directory from any team in the leagues I mentioned earlier and even teams in minor league baseball, lacrosse and major league soccer and you will see that the highest percentage of employees in the front office come under the sales umbrella.
Generally teams make over 2,000 calls a week, with close rates in the 3 to 5 percent range.

They have a population which is 300M more than Australia, crowd comparisons are ludicrous.

supercharger

Juniors
They have a population which is 300M more than Australia, crowd comparisons are ludicrous.

Where Did I make a comparison In terms of attendance? I was just pointing out how box office operations and marketing departments work in those leagues

RWB

Bench
When are the Roosters crowds ever floating up? Even after a premiership they're not great.

Had our highest average crowds last year in our premiership season?

Averaged just under 20k without having to take any of our home games elsewhere to boost up our numbers. I don't think there's any Sydney cub who wouldn't be proud of that, your mob included.

Shit weather, crap time slots and a drop in performances have lead to a pretty dire 2014 crowd wise so far though. I definitely won't disagree there.

RWB

Bench
Crap timeslots seems to be a theme here.

I should expand... outside of Monday & Thursday (to a lesser extent) nights I think history has shown that all the current time slots can be successful so long as the core ingredients of two strong clubs & a good build up are there.

I'm speaking more on the grounds of balance in time slots being key. Each time slot attracts its own demographic.

Flooding the market with the same continual timeslots like has happened to us this year (Fri & Sat nights) not only exhausts the market but ostracizes other demographics which in this case is families. Not one Sunday arvo home game this year for us means it's just flat out impossible for a lot of families to go to a game.

Every club has their own bitter pill to swallow when it comes to the draw so I'm not for a second thinking we're the only ones in this boat but there's little doubt in my mind it's had an affect on our crowds. One thing is for sure, it's made me appreciate arvo games all the more.

DC_fan

Coach

You are correct. Go to DallasCowboys.com and click on tickets and you will see a number of different options fans have to purchase either single or season tickets. The people working in this are are sales people and their job is to answer any querie a fan may have and to sell match day or season tickets. All NFL teams have a similar department.

While not to the same degree NRL teams like Souths have a similar set up.

Their is no such thing as a "crowd expert". What teams have is a hard working group of people who work hard to promote their team and sell as many tickets as they can.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I would say the person who heads up that sales division at say Dallas cowboys or green bay packers would generally be considered a crowd expert

Why doesn't the NRL hire one or two of these guys move them out here and offer them to clubs to help them set up silimlar team as in the usa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts