What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
If you're a fan and the stadium is within reach I don't see why you wouldn't. I detest Brookvale Oval as an NRL venue but I still go there because I support the team. I'm not there for the ground or the facilities.

And the reason grounds lack atmosphere is because people DECIDE not to attend. More people = better atmosphere. Opting out for that reason means YOU are the reason the atmosphere is lacking.

Yeah but you need about another 20k more people on top of what they will likely get for their to be a decent atmosphere, maybe more. At other grounds 15k can provide a very good atmosphere, real beers etc

chrisD

Coach
If you're a fan and the stadium is within reach I don't see why you wouldn't. I detest Brookvale Oval as an NRL venue but I still go there because I support the team. I'm not there for the ground or the facilities.

And the reason grounds lack atmosphere is because people DECIDE not to attend. More people = better atmosphere. Opting out for that reason means YOU are the reason the atmosphere is lacking.

I feel no obligation to watch away games in a manner I will enjoy less for the sake of my team. It's not a charity, I'll travel when it's a superior experience that warrants the effort, Friday night at ANZ is not that.

RWB

Bench
For the people who prefer to watch the game at home, don't you have mates? Isn't going to the footy a good excuse to get together and a watch the game with some company/have a drink? I defiantly find it that way.

I go to all Roosters games in NSW but I'll blow off mates who want to go to other games all the time to stay at home and watch the game on Foxsports purely because of cost. Home = Free, Going out = $50-100.

Sure it's a little bit introverted, anti-social and sad but Foxtel saves me a shit load of money. It's the second best NRL membership I have after my Chooks one.

Ticketed members are always going to be a big issue but digital memberships are the future. I'll be canceling my NRL digital membership next week to sign up for the Roosters digital membership. I believe we're the only NRL club who offers a digital membership at the moment but more clubs need to jump on board.

With the NBN rolling out, uncapped plans becoming the norm & streaming sites like Netflix having huge success Foxel will be irrelevant in 10-20 years time. We'll stream all our content onto our TV's and subscribe to individual streamers e.g The NRL's digital platform. This is the future & unlike ticketed memberships we shouldn't wait for other codes to leave us behind.

Apologies, this is more of a membership post than a crowd post but it was somewhat relevant to the question.

Kirky

Juniors
For the people who prefer to watch the game at home, don't you have mates? Isn't going to the footy a good excuse to get together and a watch the game with some company/have a drink? I defiantly find it that way.

Watching at home doesn't have to mean watching alone. Friday night (Raiders essentially never play Friday nights) my mates and I all gather at one of our places to watch both games (phones in a bowl to avoid 2nd game scores), eat takeout and drink beer. Lately I catch up with more of my footy mates watching games on telly than I do going to games. I'm finding people are more than happy to meet up at someone's house to watch games, but ask those same people to come to a match and they're just not keen. Doesn't seem to be one thing either, but a lot of little things that combine to form the overall umbrella reason of 'CBF'. It's an effect that compounds too. The less people at the games, the poorer the atmosphere, the less reason to go, the less people go to the games as a result, etc, etc. I must admit this season I haven't gone to nearly as many games as I usually do. Some of that's my team's poor season, but it really is so much more convinient and comfortable watching at home in my heated living room, on my comfortable couch, drinking my affordable beer eating my delicious food. While I do absoluteley wish more people would come to games, I certainly don't begrudge those that choose to watch at home.

Billythekid

First Grade

If you mainly want an excuse to hang out with friends and have a few drinks why would you go to the ground and pay for over priced and often half strength beer? You're better off heading down to the pub or all getting together at a mates place for a few drinks and maybe a BBQ.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I go to all Roosters games in NSW but I'll blow off mates who want to go to other games all the time to stay at home and watch the game on Foxsports purely because of cost. Home = Free, Going out = $50-100.

Sure it's a little bit introverted, anti-social and sad but Foxtel saves me a shit load of money. It's the second best NRL membership I have after my Chooks one.

Ticketed members are always going to be a big issue but digital memberships are the future. I'll be canceling my NRL digital membership next week to sign up for the Roosters digital membership. I believe we're the only NRL club who offers a digital membership at the moment but more clubs need to jump on board.

With the NBN rolling out, uncapped plans becoming the norm & streaming sites like Netflix having huge success Foxel will be irrelevant in 10-20 years time. We'll stream all our content onto our TV's and subscribe to individual streamers e.g The NRL's digital platform. This is the future & unlike ticketed memberships we shouldn't wait for other codes to leave us behind.

Apologies, this is more of a membership post than a crowd post but it was somewhat relevant to the question.

At the rate of the nbn rollout my suburb on the central coast will get it around 2050

cleary89

Coach
My mates would prefer to go to the pub and watch it on tv. Can hardly fault them, full strength beers, no 15 minute waits in lines for $7.80 mid strength.

We all happily pay our $180 a year for 4 games in upper grandstand at kogarah, but it's hard to sell them to go to the gong or sfs with my footy cards. They are usually keen to go to swans at scg with my members cards. Full strength and decent girls actually go.

Jason Maher

Immortal
My mates would prefer to go to the pub and watch it on tv. Can hardly fault them, full strength beers, no 15 minute waits in lines for $7.80 mid strength.

We all happily pay our $180 a year for 4 games in upper grandstand at kogarah, but it's hard to sell them to go to the gong or sfs with my footy cards. They are usually keen to go to swans at scg with my members cards. Full strength and decent girls actually go.

Your mates go to the footy to pick up???

cleary89

Coach
Your mates go to the footy to pick up???

Nah but it helps.

Took the gf to her first NRL game (she's English). Her first comment was "why is everyone so fat?". Looking around in the crowd it was full of typical aussie bogans.

A night in the members at the swans is more "event". We usually hang around in the bar for an hour or two after the game with a couple of hundred others. Mates have picked up numerous times there. (Just re read this, sounds like we sip pimms and lemonade lol. We basically just sit in the bar and drink full strength and watch the game sometimes).

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Cant the NRL just hire a crowd building expert from EPL NFL or somewhere

Pay them 500k a year

Looking at anz this is disgraceful

Look good at brookie on tv. Anz sounds terrible two west Sydney teams in top 8 to get a poor crowd is terrible. Both teams lost last week but are still in the 8 and people don't attend that fickleness to the max. West Sydney 'heartland'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts