What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbusto

Coach
It has been a while since i made the drive but what is the distance between the GC and Townsville? Because if that's a local derby than you would have to consider Newcastle or Canberra facing a Sydney team a local derby. Not really disagreeing with you but i think some people underestimate the sort of distances travelled to attend NQ home games (by both home and away fans).

16 hours and 46 minutes by car - 1439 kms - local derby - lol

El Diablo

Post Whore
It has been a while since i made the drive but what is the distance between the GC and Townsville? Because if that's a local derby than you would have to consider Newcastle or Canberra facing a Sydney team a local derby. Not really disagreeing with you but i think some people underestimate the sort of distances travelled to attend NQ home games (by both home and away fans).

he said Queensland derby, not local

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
the NRL and clubs woulda been paid an absolute bucketload of money.

unfortunately selling out is what's required in today's commercial world. it's not like it was in the 80s anymore

37lr.jpeg

As noted above, I did say Queensland derby. Will go on the record as saying I have lived up north in the past and made a 4.5 hr commute to a Cowboys home game. Your point is a good one though. The Cowboys crowds (in raw figures) mightn't look like Man U's, but by golly they come from far and wide from a diffuse and not large population base.

That said, the Cowboys are a great derby draw in Brisbane (and the Broncos likewise in Townsville) and yes! that distance exists. So a derby can involve a big distance folks.

The titans are poison for any home team. Even the broncos only draw low range to their matches at suncorp, compared to say the Cowboys were they pull 40-45k consistently

The Titans drew 31k in Brisbane this year. More than the Sharks (24k) and within 1k-2k of the Roosters (33k), Eels (32k) and Sea Eagles (32k). If that's crowd poison, I'd be willing to wager that any number of teams south of the border wouldn't mind drinking the Kool Aid.

Edit: You said in the "low range" and I suppose I should address that directly. We have low crowds (20s) and high crowds (40s). I consider those low-to-mid 30s crowds our bread and butter, and the Titans are right in the mix there. Yes, I will concede that is our second lowest crowd of the season, but the difference between the Titans and those other crowds I listed above is little more than statistical noise. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
Thankfully next week should get some decent crowds.

I'll go out on a limb and make some dreadful predications that will probably be all wrong. Caveat emptor.

Souths v Manly: 17k
Brisbane v Canterbury: 33k
Newcastle v Melbourne: 14k
North Qld v Wests: 14k
Parramatta v Canberra: 11k
New Zealand v Cronulla: 15k
St George-Ill v Penrith: 12k
Sydney v Gold Coast: 8k

I'll go out on a limb and make some dreadful predications that will probably be all wrong. Caveat emptor.

Souths v Manly: 17k
Brisbane v Canterbury: 33k
Newcastle v Melbourne: 14k
North Qld v Wests: 14k
Parramatta v Canberra: 11k
New Zealand v Cronulla: 15k
St George-Ill v Penrith: 12k
Sydney v Gold Coast: 8k

Hopefully the option to boo Cameron Smith will bring a few in at Newcastle

TheFrog

Coach
Our crowds have been ordinary due to a horror schedule. Home games v Roosters, Eels and Manly minus Origin players, Sharks on a Monday night, Cowboys on a Saturday. Rabbitohs got the home draw for Easter this year too.

Hopefully we get a boost with WT and Souths coming up but it's just been a shit year for us schedule wise, simple as that.

If you allow TV to determine when games are going to be played, you can hardly complain when supporters of the game stay home and watch it on TV.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
As noted above, I did say Queensland derby. Will go on the record as saying I have lived up north in the past and made a 4.5 hr commute to a Cowboys home game. Your point is a good one though. The Cowboys crowds (in raw figures) mightn't look like Man U's, but by golly they come from far and wide from a diffuse and not large population base.

That said, the Cowboys are a great derby draw in Brisbane (and the Broncos likewise in Townsville) and yes! that distance exists. So a derby can involve a big distance folks.

The Titans drew 31k in Brisbane this year. More than the Sharks (24k) and within 1k-2k of the Roosters (33k), Eels (32k) and Sea Eagles (32k). If that's crowd poison, I'd be willing to wager that any number of teams south of the border wouldn't mind drinking the Kool Aid.

Edit: You said in the "low range" and I suppose I should address that directly. We have low crowds (20s) and high crowds (40s). I consider those low-to-mid 30s crowds our bread and butter, and the Titans are right in the mix there. Yes, I will concede that is our second lowest crowd of the season, but the difference between the Titans and those other crowds I listed above is little more than statistical noise. IMHO, of course.

And yet as the broncos nearest geographical rival and a few million people to draw on for both sides i think its reasonable to say that game should closer to a sell out than 50% of capacity

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just watching roosters game, kits look great, brilliant to see the little, and big, kids dressed up adding to the atmosphere of the game. Well done ISC and NRL, let's see a superhero round every season! I'd be getting a NRL stand at comic con and supernova flogging the merch.

And yet as the broncos nearest geographical rival and a few million people to draw on for both sides i think its reasonable to say that game should closer to a sell out than 50% of capacity

I don't disagree. Ideally all Titans games to be 40k+, but I don't think it will happen before the Titans are scrubbed Searle-less.

Nonetheless, you said the Titans were crowd poison for any team. That claim is simply not supported by the Suncorp crowd figures that I have posted above. Nor by the Cowboys crowd last night.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Gee you would hope scg draws more than 17k next week

It's at the scg so it's a special occasion for that reason to start. Should be pushed in the cbd by marketing this week. Aim to get the city workers in especially manly fans who may otherwise head over the bridge after work. Definitely the game of the round quality wise so it deserves standalone marketing

Flapper

First Grade
7,094 at GIO, methinks the Raiders need a "pelt tomatoes at Rick" week to bump up the next crowd.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah you would have to be legit broken in the head to go to a Raiders game. I mean it would be pretty cathartic to boo the soft merkins in person but its pretty expensive. Expect to see the Players being hit by tumbleweeds as they fail to win games over the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts